Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not Used: Drop and appraise

3 posters

Go down

Not Used: Drop and appraise Empty Not Used: Drop and appraise

Post by Veenkar Sun May 31, 2009 6:36 am

I recently used re-level scales and i invested in appraise skill.
In my opinion appraise skill should have a new system of incrasing the drop
I have 50 appraise and doesnt feel the diffrance than when i had 15 and the diffrance between 50 and 15 is huge

My idea is not to incrase the price of dropped items but to have a chanse (depends on appraise) to add a random ability to some dropped items) i saw it on one swrver and it had a good players' opinion.
Veenkar
Veenkar
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Male Number of posts : 111
Main Character : Alin Amraphenen
Other Character : Veenkar Moonshade
Other Character. : Ofelia Huffie
NWN Username : Veenkar
Time Zone : GMT +2 (summer) GMT +1 (winter)
Registration date : 2008-06-06

Back to top Go down

Not Used: Drop and appraise Empty Re: Not Used: Drop and appraise

Post by daveyeisley Sun May 31, 2009 10:26 am

from personal experience, both manny and I (hoping he doesnt mind me speaking for him here because we have conversed at length on this topic), have found that high ranks in appraise can pay HUGE dividends.

Keep in the mind that the increases from appraise skill are % based... so the less valuable an item is to start with the less of an increase you will see... but the more valuable items will get a bigger increase.

Also keep in mind that there is a d20 roll involved with appraise when you first open a merchants shop... and if your roll is low, even with good ranks you may not get excellent prices.

I have found that it is possible, though RARE, to buy an item and then later be able to sell it back (with a phenomenal appraise roll) for *more* than I paid for it.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : Not Used: Drop and appraise Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Sun May 31, 2009 12:06 pm

The payoff can be substantial for investing in the appraise skill. There is a point of 'diminishing returns' though from my experience, being somewhere around 25-30 appraise (base+modifer score). Past that, you're more often see the "sell for less than bought for" situation, but overall, you'll see less of an increase in your loot sales per appraisal point investment.

For characters with appraise as a class skill, there's not much reward for raising the skill past 25, for those with appraise as a cross-class skill, they can attain the relative "max effect". It would be nice to see some sort of real benefit for those able to attain a higher appraise mark (with super high intelligence and/or appraise as a class skill)....

Overall, I like the idea.... Adding a random property to items found would add a unique quality to the loot a character finds. Basing the chance of a random property on appraise skill would seem to be rather arbitrary though, at least for monster-drops. For items in merchant inventories, it would make perfect sense however... A merchant wants to please the customer with a discriminating eye for merchandise, showing them "the best stock", while showing the ho-hum common stuff to the guy who walks into the store and says "uh, me want sharp thing to poke bad peoples wif! Gimme sharp pointy things!"

The more I think about it, the more I like this idea...
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Sun May 31, 2009 8:09 pm

I can see the intent of the change, I just can't seem to get past the "I'm so good at shopping/appraisal, that normal things get better when I look at them".

I know this would happen in the background and its supposed to work like "I have a keen eye and spotted this extra value"... but somehow this execution doesnt seem to fit for me.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Sun May 31, 2009 8:17 pm

For monster drops, no it would be a rather arbitrary thing. I can see it working for merchants though.

"Yes, Morty, show me the really really good stuff..." Very Happy
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:48 am

Yeah, but its still a case of Morty's normal stock randomly gaining more properties than they normally have just cuz you have high appraise and looked at them... its just contrived.

I dont mind value increases, but extra properties is a bit much, I think.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down