Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Purple Worm (merged threads) [currently removed from game]

+11
DMT
Elhanan
evilkittenofdoom
Calzier
Svair
RustyDios
Ceorlas
Ra Cha Chongo
daveyeisley
The Amethyst Dragon
MannyJabrielle
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Purple Worm (merged threads) [currently removed from game] - Page 2 Empty Purple Worm

Post by Alundaio Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:38 am

I assume it's a bug:I notice the Purple Worm does move around (By this I mean it goes under ground and reappears) when someone is either eaten or uses magic on it. BUT the worm will remain completely still  if attackedby ranged weapons until it dies. WAY TO EASY. If you can somehow put in a timer or somthing to make it move every now and again if it's attack mode, That would be awesome. I enjoy fighting that thing every once in awhile, and would actually like to see it be more challenging. Thanks!
Alundaio
Alundaio
Aenean Scholar
Aenean Scholar

Male Number of posts : 372
Main Character : Alundaio
Time Zone : GMT-04:00 (EST)
. : Purple Worm (merged threads) [currently removed from game] - Page 2 Forum_donor
Registration date : 2009-09-14

Back to top Go down

Purple Worm (merged threads) [currently removed from game] - Page 2 Empty Re: Purple Worm (merged threads) [currently removed from game]

Post by Elhanan Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:02 am

Well, considering that for some to do this safely from range, it will require a lot of time to kill a creature of that size. And in some locations, other respawns may appear creating slight distractions and further delays. I believe this is one of those encounters that may be easier for some classes; more difficult for others.

Personally I am for leaving this as is.
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1781
Main Character : Aargyle McJagger
Other Character : Barnabas Bottlebottom
Other Character. : Aarn, Aerik McJagger
Other Character.. : Azar; Briar Ironwood
NWN Username : Elhanan the Ancient One
Time Zone : Central USA
. : Purple Worm (merged threads) [currently removed from game] - Page 2 Forum_donor
Registration date : 2009-06-23

Back to top Go down

Purple Worm (merged threads) [currently removed from game] - Page 2 Empty Re: Purple Worm (merged threads) [currently removed from game]

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:47 am

The next planned reset will include a change to the gizzard (so that it can be affected by many direct-elemental-type-damage spells and so that escaping should be more reliable) and to the worm (which may start going after anyone that damages it from a distance, as was originally intended).
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by evilkittenofdoom Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:10 am

The purple worm isn't moving in response to some custom spells, nor is it to my Acidbombs that my amulet produces (YAY acidbombs on my custom item)

Also, could we up the loot they drop? For something that is level 36 and can slaughter you if you get too close, and is a real pain to kill with ranged attacks, it doesnt exactly drop very good stuff. A bandit mage drops better things on average. Neutral
evilkittenofdoom
evilkittenofdoom
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1217
Main Character : Aseph, the NOT old sorcerer
Other Character : Analo, professional Dracolich (and other undead) hunter
Other Character. : Sivoran, the PC Demilich
Other Character.. : Imyna, Drow Priestess of Sorgath
NWN Username : evilkittenofdoom
Time Zone : EST (GMT-5)
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:01 pm

Actually if it dies when it's Moving (In which it dissapears and reappears next to the attacker) It doesn't drop any loot at all. I also Noticed that if you consistantly attack it, the purple worm will move so much it doesn't even have a chance to attack or eat anything. I think it needs to move randomly or should just change it back, since it doesn't drop loot whilst teleporting.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:33 pm

Or rather... it shouldn't "move" when being attacked in melee, only when attacked by ranged/ranged spells, because yes, when it's constantly "moving", it doesn't attack back.... as long as you win the initiative roll, you own the worm.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:33 pm

MannyJabrielle wrote:Or rather... it shouldn't "move" when being attacked in melee, only when attacked by ranged/ranged spells, because yes, when it's constantly "moving", it doesn't attack back.... as long as you win the initiative roll, you own the worm.

Worse... if you are in a party, and it is constantly moving.... you cant get an action in if you dont win the initiative roll.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:01 pm

Although.... it does give aenea a bit of that "wack-a-mole" feeling Wink
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by eeriegeek Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:09 am

Don't know what the official status of escape from the worm is, but K'az just spent a good 30 min in there and has had the gizzard down to near death for quite some time trying a dagger, a short sword (piercing) and a Kukri, a handaxe, and a sickle (slashing) without success. The Sai and the Katar were unequipped. Oddly enough, she then freed herself with a rod of lightning!
eeriegeek
eeriegeek
Worldly Guide
Worldly Guide

Number of posts : 244
Main Character : Amaerillie
Other Character : K'az T'anii
Other Character. : Xephod
Other Character.. : Eg'bo
NWN Username : eeriegeek
Time Zone : GMT-4
Registration date : 2009-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by evilkittenofdoom Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:41 am

Also, the bard song "Quaking Chorus" is double damaging it per pulse at the moment.
evilkittenofdoom
evilkittenofdoom
Epic Level
Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Purple Worm (merged threads) [currently removed from game] - Page 2 Empty Can't get out of purple worm

Post by Caldor Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:44 am

Early this afternoon I didn't get out of the way of a purple worm in time, and was swallowed. Nothing would damage the gizzard, not even a +3 long sword. After a few Delayed Blast Fireballs, I received the "I have freed myself!" text in the status box (four times, in fact), but I was still in the worm. This happened a couple of weeks ago as well.

Thanks!

Caldor
Caldor
Caldor
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Male Number of posts : 131
Main Character : Caldor Moross
Other Character : Malcolm Moross
Other Character. : Zayde ("Gramps") Moross
Other Character.. : Moraye'us (mor -AY-us, but you can call me Maury!) Moross and the rest of the Moross Clan, including the low-key but nevertheless infamous "Mortis the Tortoise"
Time Zone : Eastern U.S.
Registration date : 2009-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Ra Cha Chongo Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:28 pm

As far as I know, you can only free yourself by using a small or tiny weapon that deals slashing (or possibly piercing) damage; what really confuses me is that it gave you the "I have freed myself!" message Purple Worm (merged threads) [currently removed from game] - Page 2 Icon_scratch
Ra Cha Chongo
Ra Cha Chongo
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Number of posts : 413
Main Character : Vizzini The Inconceivable
Other Character : Jinx
Other Character. : Whichever one I happen to be playing at the moment; I think it's mostly been Vinzer lately
Time Zone : EST (GMT - 5:00)
Registration date : 2009-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:42 pm

I think The Amethyst Dragon edited it so you COULD get out with other means such as blasting it with the right magic. I'm not 100% certain on that...
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Caldor Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:24 pm

Ra Cha Chongo wrote:As far as I know, you can only free yourself by using a small or tiny weapon that deals slashing (or possibly piercing) damage; what really confuses me is that it gave you the "I have freed myself!" message Purple Worm (merged threads) [currently removed from game] - Page 2 Icon_scratch

It seems to me this changed fairly recently, because last summer I had no trouble slicing up the gizzard (with any available sword) and getting out.

FWIW, I also got the "I have freed myself" message during the prior incident I mentioned.

At least today I was able to stay clear of the darned worm's range! Purple Worm (merged threads) [currently removed from game] - Page 2 Icon_smile

Caldor
Caldor
Caldor
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Other Character.. : Moraye'us (mor -AY-us, but you can call me Maury!) Moross and the rest of the Moross Clan, including the low-key but nevertheless infamous "Mortis the Tortoise"

Back to top Go down

Post by evilkittenofdoom Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:56 pm

There are some spells and abilities that do not trigger it to move, though I'll let you figure out which (Unless The Amethyst Dragon wants it fixed if it's not supposed to do that)
evilkittenofdoom
evilkittenofdoom
Epic Level
Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Caldor Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:27 am

evilkittenofdoom wrote:There are some spells and abilities that do not trigger it to move, . . .

Thanks for mentioning that. I noticed that phenomenon with one of the spells I threw at the worm during one of the more usual recent occasions ("usual" in the sense that I didn't wind up inside). I'll wander down that way again soon and go through my repertoire to see which ones have that effect.

Normally, this isn't a problem. On the two occasions within roughly the past month that I wound up inside, I had been distracted by something external to the computer. When I turned back to look at the screen, there I was in the alimentary canal. Purple Worm (merged threads) [currently removed from game] - Page 2 Icon_eek With the Boots of Striding and Springing, it's usually a simple task to stay clear and let the dirty rotten machemovitz have it. Purple Worm (merged threads) [currently removed from game] - Page 2 Icon_smile

Caldor
Caldor
Caldor
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:37 pm

Caldor wrote: With the Boots of Striding and Springing, it's usually a simple task to stay clear and let the dirty rotten machemovitz have it. Purple Worm (merged threads) [currently removed from game] - Page 2 Icon_smile

LOL!
Phenomenal.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon

Back to top Go down

Purple Worm (merged threads) [currently removed from game] - Page 2 Empty The purple worm II

Post by MannyJabrielle Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:50 pm

Escaping out of the purple worm is broke. A couple other players have mentioned this to me as well.

When you cut the gizzard down to escape, you go into cutscene mode for a second and say the "I have cut myself free" message, but you just stay inside the worm. This is completely repeatable and sucky
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:57 pm

Dammit.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:00 pm

Are cestus weapons not supposed to work on the gizzard?

They're tiny, and piercing weapons... yet when I attack the gizzard with a cestus, it's resisting upwards of 45 damage. If I switch to a short sword, which is also pierce, no resistance. Both weapons are +5.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:03 pm

oh, and it seems to be flat out impossible to escape now? I beat the gizzard down to near death rather quickly, but then it just stayed there, and I beat on it longer while it was at near death than it took to get it down to near death. No escape messages fired off, even after dishing out some 1.5K in physical damage alone.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:07 pm

Looks like I'll be completely re-scripting purple worm stuff.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by evilkittenofdoom Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:12 pm

Again? Good luck. I'd hate to have to see these go bye-bye
evilkittenofdoom
evilkittenofdoom
Epic Level
Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:26 pm

Got eated again... one CAN escape apparently. I got back into the same worm, and it was still at near death from earlier today.

A tweak I might suggest though.... make it so the purple worm doesn't eat you right back up the moment you escape? DOuble-load screens really aren't fun.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Caldor Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:45 pm

I was eaten by a worm when on with Zayde today, and although I got the "I have freed myself!" message many times (and the escape scene and sometimes the column of light), I never got out. Zayde disappeared, though. My PC "X" on the ground was still under where he was in the gut, and he was still fighting the gizzard.

After trying a buffed short sword, then going back to the +1 dagger, I happened to notice that each time it said "I have freed myself!" apparently, I was getting 40 XP. I have a screen cap showing this. On the cap it shows four times in the status messages.
Caldor
Caldor
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Back to top Go down

Purple Worm (merged threads) [currently removed from game] - Page 2 Empty Purple Worm

Post by daveyeisley Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:18 am

After a 10 minute fight with a purple worm, and LOTS of scurrying about frantically to avoid being eaten, Lucian and Dimiix finally killed the worm... and were rewarded for their efforts with... wait for it.....

A truckload of nothing. No XP, no loot. Nothing.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Alundaio Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:33 pm

I think I mentioned this awhile back. The purple worm's script to teleport/burrow fires after he dies leaving no loot. I do recall getting the experience reward at the time.
Alundaio
Alundaio
Aenean Scholar
Aenean Scholar

Male Number of posts : 372
Main Character : Alundaio
Time Zone : GMT-04:00 (EST)
Registration date : 2009-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by eeriegeek Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:26 pm

It seems a little random... sometimes it leaves a loot bag and sometimes it doesn't. Without any empirical evidence it seems that the faster you kill it the more likely to leave remains and give xp.
eeriegeek
eeriegeek
Worldly Guide
Worldly Guide

Number of posts : 244
Main Character : Amaerillie
Other Character : K'az T'anii
Other Character. : Xephod
Other Character.. : Eg'bo
NWN Username : eeriegeek
Time Zone : GMT-4
Registration date : 2009-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Mon May 09, 2011 4:39 pm

Working on the scripts for this monster right now. I'll be testing with my character Steel after the next module update.

Intended results of the changes:

1. Set escaping PC in cutscene mode, and plot, for a better duration so that he/she can be jumped out properly.

2. Allow PC damage dealt to gizzard to apply to the worm.

3. Get spell damage to properly be counted against the amount needed for escape.

4. Allow PC to get proper the "kill credit" if worm is killed from inside.

5. Slight increase to worm's Challenge Rating number to add a modest XP increase.

6. Modify worm's burrowing behavior:
- increase time spent above ground (delay between delves underground)
- increase time spent underground during burrow action (1-3 rounds)
- improve worm's ability to follow a foe while burrowing
- allow PCs to teleport out of the worm's gut via spell or potion of escape
- apply a shaking VFX inside worm and prevent PC(s) inside worm from escaping (via cutting/blasint) while worm is underground (since technically the worm creature model is removed from the map while "underground", there isn't a valid place for them to cut their way out to).
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Mon May 09, 2011 5:21 pm

The Amethyst Dragon wrote:- apply a shaking VFX inside worm and prevent PC(s) inside worm from escaping (via cutting/blasint) while worm is underground (since technically the worm creature model is removed from the map while "underground", there isn't a valid place for them to cut their way out to).

Awesome news, but one thought on the above restriction.

If there are two damage threshholds, one for escape and one for killing the worm from inside, then I could understand the above logic applied to a PC being able to "escape", certainly.

I just want to make sure that escape via killing the worm from inside is still allowed, as a PC who kills it could climb out via the tunnel it burrowed, since it is dead and not moving to keep them inside any longer.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Mon May 09, 2011 6:19 pm

daveyeisley wrote:I just want to make sure that escape via killing the worm from inside is still allowed, as a PC who kills it could climb out via the tunnel it burrowed, since it is dead and not moving to keep them inside any longer.
Correct. It will still be allowed (especially since I just added some code to track where the worm was when it started to burrow, just in case someone decides to teleport away before it reemerges from the ground).
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Wed May 11, 2011 5:32 pm

Bah. Stupid worm still not working quite right. I sacrificed Steel to be eaten by the worm. Escaped once, but later escapes didn't fire correctly.

For now, I've put the purple worms in hibernation so they don't mess up on anyone else while I work on fixing them. They're cool and all, but not worth frustration today.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Wed May 11, 2011 5:57 pm

The Amethyst Dragon wrote:Bah. Stupid worm still not working quite right. I sacrificed Steel to be eaten by the worm. Escaped once, but later escapes didn't fire correctly.

For now, I've put the purple worms in hibernation so they don't mess up on anyone else while I work on fixing them. They're cool and all, but not worth frustration today.

Im sorry they're giving you so much hassle, The Amethyst Dragon Sad

Thanks for sparing our players in the meantime, though!
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Sun May 15, 2011 3:37 am

For the time being, I'm locking this thread, just so I don't have to think about it. Once I have more time and a fresh perspective on it, I'll take up working on these worms again.

Purple Worm (merged threads) [currently removed from game] - Page 2 3405
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2