Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

*SPOILERS* Prophecy Quest *SPOILERS*

+3
Svair
evilkittenofdoom
Elhanan
7 posters

Go down

*SPOILERS* Prophecy Quest *SPOILERS* Empty *SPOILERS* Prophecy Quest *SPOILERS*

Post by Elhanan Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:22 am

OK. I am almost out of ideas for this one, at least for Aargyle (ie; Rog/ Ftr/ DD).

My next mission will try and use Mord's and breaches, walls to try and keep the Dev Crit master away from my Dwarf, then try and bombard him with Creeping Doom, Earthquakes, Ice Storms, etc like he was an Elder Beholder. But to be open on this one, as a warrior it kinda stinks. And at least I have the option of UMD.

I got some help with an AA a few times, but we fall short and only last a little while. And then we tried a Monk/ IH to keep the king busy, but even then the other PC did not last long, and when the heal potion bug hit, we both met again in the Great Hall.

I need tips.

Thanks!
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1781
Main Character : Aargyle McJagger
Other Character : Barnabas Bottlebottom
Other Character. : Aarn, Aerik McJagger
Other Character.. : Azar; Briar Ironwood
NWN Username : Elhanan the Ancient One
Time Zone : Central USA
. : *SPOILERS* Prophecy Quest *SPOILERS* Forum_donor
Registration date : 2009-06-23

Back to top Go down

*SPOILERS* Prophecy Quest *SPOILERS* Empty Re: *SPOILERS* Prophecy Quest *SPOILERS*

Post by evilkittenofdoom Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:18 am

Would a few Bibgy spells help? A mage could definitely evoke a few of those for you if you needed (I don't know if he's immnue though) Otherwise, a PM/Warrior, Ascended Character or someone else with Crit Immunities as a tank would be optimal I think. I've never faught him though, so I'm only throwing out generalized ideas based on fighting a Dev Critter who is extra mean.
evilkittenofdoom
evilkittenofdoom
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1217
Main Character : Aseph, the NOT old sorcerer
Other Character : Analo, professional Dracolich (and other undead) hunter
Other Character. : Sivoran, the PC Demilich
Other Character.. : Imyna, Drow Priestess of Sorgath
NWN Username : evilkittenofdoom
Time Zone : EST (GMT-5)
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Back to top Go down

*SPOILERS* Prophecy Quest *SPOILERS* Empty Re: *SPOILERS* Prophecy Quest *SPOILERS*

Post by Svair Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:39 pm

I solo'd the encounter as a 40th lvl Dwarven Barbarian. Maybe it was simple luck that got me through...

Here's what I tried to do though.

1. Increased my Saves - I used a +5 Cloak and +3 Ring, and combined with my Con I knew that I was going to survive Crits on average.

2. Doubled my HPs. The hit to AC was worth being able to absorb the punishment, or at least provided a cushion while activated my own stuff and then switched to back to my normal amulet.

3. My Custom and normal gear gave me Concealment, Haste, and True Strike by casting spells.

4. I took some 25,000 HPs in healing potions :-).

I know that sounds rather self-evident, and if you've already tried that, I'm sorry.

I was able to tackle the encounter several times this way, first by myself, other times with other PCs. Maybe Gron has changed since that day.

Last edited by Svair on Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I didn't use that many potions...:-))
Svair
Svair
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1178
Main Character : Karamip Ningle
Other Character : Phyllick Delucian
NWN Username : S'Vair
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Elhanan Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:49 pm

We finally won, but it was due to some bad luck on his part after much of the same from us.

We re-entered the palace, and tried to cast some wall spells between him and us. To our dismay, they do *not* work in the palace. So Aargyle buffed up again as best as possible, and used Imp Expertise to try and maintain a good defense while Eo the Arcane Archer piled on the anti-Orc arrows. This worked better than anything else thus far, but he dispelled some of my buffs, and tossed in Harm along the way which weakened me, and on-going damage took me out. To the temple.....

When we tried to do this again, Eo wandered into LOS and became a Dev Crit victim quickly. After some Ring Around the Rosy to get Gron out of the room, we raised Eo, tried again, but same results: me in the Lysis temple and Eo running and flying for safety.

Next attempt; did not even make it to the palace! Gron had followed Eo outside the palace doors, and between Gron and his Destroyer minions, we needed more Resurrection scrolls and Heal potions. So then we were going to take the high ground and shoot him at distance, but he tracked Eo under hasted speed and killed him before shots were fired. Yet again, more trips needed to Temples and Great Halls.

Then when we started to regroup at the Teshian crossroads, Gron had followewd Eo and almost overtook Aargyle. But this time, we both managed to make it to the high ground. And after many arrows, a few Disjunction and Breach scrolls, on the fifth Dissonance scroll he rolled a 1 and died!

Much loot! Much cheering! Much standing about discussing what kind of characters would be required to solo this thug besides mages!

This one is a killer in every sense of the term. I believe BBoD needed a 20 to hit, and then he would need to roll a 1 to fail his ST; not the best spell choice here other than for drawing out his spell attacks.

Any other tips for helping in this death match should be added here. Thanks!
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1781
Main Character : Aargyle McJagger
Other Character : Barnabas Bottlebottom
Other Character. : Aarn, Aerik McJagger
Other Character.. : Azar; Briar Ironwood
NWN Username : Elhanan the Ancient One
Time Zone : Central USA
Registration date : 2009-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Svair Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:17 pm

That sounds like a bunch of difficult encounters with him.

Congrats on your success! You really worked for the victory!
Svair
Svair
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1178
Main Character : Karamip Ningle
Other Character : Phyllick Delucian
NWN Username : S'Vair

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:16 pm

Congrats on your success!!

The first time I defeated him, I got just like you did. He rolled a 1 against my 7th casting of dissonance.

As my Weaponmaster, I was able to use Hope Reborn to *good* effect, even though longsword was not my "Weapon of Choice".

It seems to discombobulate him when it strikes him. He spent a lot of time standing there sputtering while I beat on him, and he didnt get many attacks in (which is good, cuz one crit and I woulda been toast). The sword was *designed* to ruin his day, you just need enough AB to hit consistently... which is upwards of +50, I believe.

Having a 70-80+ AC also helps, cuz he missed more often... and hance doesnt crit as much either.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:42 pm

The sword is nice too, because Gron is DR'd to +6, so your +5 weapon won't help much. There's several ways to get a +6 EB besides the sword though, with certain class choices, UMD, or exotic weapon's proficiency.

And congrats on getting Gron to follow you out of his domain :-D Only know of that happening one other time myself. It's one of the most fun quests because everybody has a completely different experience with it (although yeah, some of the experience can be frustrating as heck!)
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzable Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:57 am

Oh yes, that was definitely the most difficult and frustrating fight ever!
After having been slaughtered for a few times and still being invisible from the last retreat, Eowarion entered the city while Aargyle was still on his way back to our meeting point at the crossroads. Our "friend" saw me from afar and started running through the city towards me; so i waited until he was almost upon me and exited to the cossroads, immediately taking flight to a high ledge...and he didnt follow !(so i thought) Grrr...Seconds later Aargyle appeared, and i was barely able to utter a warning before our foe appeared, foaming and raging. He started chasing Aargyle, who, after having been hit once or twice with that monstrous axe, took flight as well and joined me on that ledge. From there on it was a matter of time...though he seemed to almost regenerate faster than i could damage him, Aargyle now had the time to empty his scroll bags and one spell finally did it!
And here we are, victorious!!!
*SPOILERS* Prophecy Quest *SPOILERS* Aenea_10
jazzable
jazzable
Prolific Scribe
Prolific Scribe

Male Number of posts : 54
Main Character : Eowarion, the horny...uhm... horned bard
Other Character : Hurn Willey, the explorer monk
Other Character. : Fram Jarlson, cleric of the Mistress
NWN Username : Fianon
Time Zone : \GMT + 2.00\
Registration date : 2009-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:55 am

Congrats to you both! Well won!
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 4112
Main Character : The Vault of Atrophy
NWN Username : atrophied_eric
DM Name : Dungeon Mistress Anaurra Lide
Time Zone : GMT - 10:00 EST (We have our own time zone!)
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Eric_of_Atrophy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down