Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Ranger in need

2 posters

Go down

A Ranger in need Empty A Ranger in need

Post by __Ua__ Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:30 pm

So coming up to my reincarnation along with Derfel I am looking for a new ranger build. Currently I am straight ranger in order to keep my AB very high (50 unbuffed with two bastard swords). I would like to keep my AB high and maybe try to dip into weapon master to get it even higher ,but something I have always wanted to do and would put above having an even higher AB is making Glor (my animal companion) better. See I being a orc chopping ,army mowing down ,bastard sword wielding ranger love my dog and find him a great partner in battle ,but I would like to make him better. I notice that animal companions gain feats during leveling in 3.5 (ie nwn2) and am not sure if this is also true in 3.0 (nwn). Even if I could quest to upgrade Glor's stat and abilities that would be amazing. Ether way in the end I would like to make ether Glor or myself (or both) better on my next trip to level 40. Please help a ranger in need.
__Ua__
__Ua__
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Male Number of posts : 124
Main Character : Derik Aerlias
Other Character : Noric Aerlias
Other Character. : Mariela Kley
Other Character.. : Yeshua Son of Nun
Registration date : 2008-11-10

Back to top Go down

A Ranger in need Empty Re: A Ranger in need

Post by MannyJabrielle Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:32 pm

Stat wise, he'll be better with the more ranger levels you have. You'd get more AB with WM levels, but at a sacrifice of levels in Glor.

There's ways to buff him up further though. While both druids and rangers get greater magic fang, ranger companions tend to be weaker because there's just not a great variety of buffs in the ranger spell boook. Namely, "awaken". This spell beefs up animal companions a great deal. You can get this as a castable property on a voucher item though.

Another property that'd be good to have is flameberry and iceberry. They add fire and ice damage to your familiar. Only one can be used at a time, so you'll have to pay attention to what your fighting and decide on which to use.

Other spell buffs could be very useful too. Stoneskin (damage reduction), Crag's Armor of Stone will grant Glor +7 armor bonus (cast Freedom of Movement on Glor before Crag's armor, otherwise his movement speed will be decreased). Barkskin will add natural armor bonus.

As for improving yourself... While less ranger levels will equal less companion levels, you could probably sacrifice a couple levels for a class that will improve you. If you take WM levels, that could help your AB and crit damage. Or, if your patron diety is Andra, take some druid levels and get some of the buffs you could use on Glor without resorting to properties on voucher items. You'd have to invest quite a few levels for Awaken, and I don't think druid and ranger levels stack for companion power, but, you could take just a few druid levels for the lower level buffs. Crag's has a very long duration even at low caster levels.

A few levels of sorc or wizard (or even just one of either) would give you access to arcane scrolls. Rogue or bard could do so as well through UMD. Rogue would be a benefit for some sneak attack damage for when you flank whatever Glor's gnawing on. With bard levels, you could inch out a point or two of AB with regular bard song, or go with quaking chorus to knockdown baddies around you (it's not party friendly though, but if GLor has even crummy DR going, he should be quite fine with a very low level quaking chorus going).

If you decide to multiclass and take anything than a +1AB/Level class, take those levels post epic. Post epic, everyone gains the same AB, but pre-epic your BAB is dependant on what classes you take.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by __Ua__ Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:58 pm

flame and ice berry's sound very interesting ,but in all my travels I have never heard of or seen them. is this something new that I missed or have I been walking by them all along? Also just to get a yes or no I am willing to search high and low for pretty much anything if it is possible to "upgrade" glor via found magic items or quests (ie DM alters him directly in exchange for x). I'm not sure what that involves code wise so I'm just kinda throwing that out there.
__Ua__
__Ua__
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Male Number of posts : 124
Main Character : Derik Aerlias
Other Character : Noric Aerlias
Other Character. : Mariela Kley
Other Character.. : Yeshua Son of Nun
Registration date : 2008-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:23 pm

As far as I know, there's no flame or ice berry items in Aenea by defualt, you'd have to get them on a voucher item.

There's no way that I'm aware of to "alter" a specific player's animal companion. Only way I know of would affect all animal companions of that same type.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down