Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE Tool for those new to scripting for NWN

5 posters

Go down

THE Tool for those new to scripting for NWN Empty THE Tool for those new to scripting for NWN

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:06 pm

Lilac Soul's NWN Script Generator

If you are new to scripting for NWN, this is THE tool you should have and use. I used it way back when I was first starting to build Aenea, and the code created by this program showed me exactly how different things work in NWScript. I'd never used C before, and NWScript is partially based on that programming language.

Eventually, I learned to do more things than this software could do (and with more efficient scripts and my own custom functions), but this generator was one of the main things I used to learn.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

THE Tool for those new to scripting for NWN Empty Re: THE Tool for those new to scripting for NWN

Post by daveyeisley Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:17 pm

Ugh... I have been holding off for so long... but... every time i come accross a code snippet I cant help but start trying to pick it apart and figure out how it works...

Eventually I am going to have to delve into scripting in force... I just hate programming... heh
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : THE Tool for those new to scripting for NWN Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

THE Tool for those new to scripting for NWN Empty Re: THE Tool for those new to scripting for NWN

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:47 pm

daveyeisley wrote:Ugh... I have been holding off for so long... but... every time i come accross a code snippet I cant help but start trying to pick it apart and figure out how it works...

Eventually I am going to have to delve into scripting in force... I just hate programming... heh
If you get really stumped, feel free to post it in this section of the forum and somebody here might be able to help analyze it.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:50 pm

I poke around and write when I can, but the majority of my scripting comes from the Script Generator. I have a very limited understanding of how the mechanics of scripting works, so I rely heavily on the generator. But when I can I tinker, dissemble and hopefully figure it out.

Regardless, I think that everyone who plans to make a module should give that program a download. Even if it's an emergency backup, it's a good backup to have.
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 4112
Main Character : The Vault of Atrophy
NWN Username : atrophied_eric
DM Name : Dungeon Mistress Anaurra Lide
Time Zone : GMT - 10:00 EST (We have our own time zone!)
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Eric_of_Atrophy

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:21 am

Agreed.. Lilac's Script Generator and the NWN Lexicon should be top of any builders download list ... ...

With those two programs you can learn alot about scripting for NWN (and most of what you do learn can be integrated into C, the mechanics/layout/basic structure is nearly the same) ...

I love tinkering with scripts in the toolset.. it helps to get hold of a well documented/commented script and seeing what you can twist... ... eventually you'll learn how to do things better, if only slightly, then the original you started off with... in some cases you think of a whole new approach that works much better then the way it was first implemented (even with your own scripts)... .. and once you start making your own functions (in an all-access function file) and including them everywhere it gets better..... ...
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2271
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
. : THE Tool for those new to scripting for NWN Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:33 am

RustyDios wrote:... .. and once you start making your own functions (in an all-access function file) and including them everywhere it gets better..... ...
I was just rereading this thread and came across this.

If you have a ton of custom functions, it's probably best to make themed "include" files, rather than a single massive one. If you pile everything in one include, you may find that your toolset won't be able to compile scripts...there's a limit to the amount of functions/constants that can be loaded into the script editor at one time (I've had it happen several times).

Plus, technically everything in that include becomes part of your script, even the stuff that might not be called in a particular function. It doesn't necessarily make the script itself run faster, just makes coding it much easier. Smile
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel of Death Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:28 am

For anyone which have not noticed it yet, there's an update (made by The Krit) to Lilac Soul's script generator available, it can be found here. Smile
Angel of Death
Angel of Death
Epic Level
Epic Level

Number of posts : 1132
Main Character : CĂ©lestin Chevalier; Knight Champion of Dalix. Protector of the Innocent. Slayer of Evil.
Other Character : Angelique Nightstar; Arcane Archer.
Personal Quote: "The way of the bow is simplicity and beauty combined with power and discipline."
Other Character. : Bruce Li; Wanderer and Practitioner of the Dragon Paw Style. & Cherry; Starchild of Jewel n' Chancetaker of Lysis.
Other Character.. : Anna, Weaver of Illusions. - You can read about all of them following this link to their Biographies! =)
NWN Username : I await You in the End
Time Zone : Central European Timezone
Registration date : 2010-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down