Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not Used: Levitate Animation Style

+4
Kefrem
Grey_Stooge
RayvenNightkind
daveyeisley
8 posters

Go down

Not Used: Levitate Animation Style Empty Not Used: Levitate Animation Style

Post by daveyeisley Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:47 pm

I am thinking this suggestion may possibly not be well recieved, but I wanted to put it out
simply because I believe in it.

At current, a level 21 wizard or sorceror can access the levitate style.

I think it should be level 30.

I mean, Gabriel is a level 26 sorceror, and he has epic spell feats, sure... but somehow, I just dont feel he should be able to pull off passive levitation based on his class levels. I just dont feel he is heavily enough invested in the arcane to go past epic spells and unlock the secret of the levitate style. To me, that style is beyond epic spells, simply because it is a passive and persistent effect that displays an incredible level of magical mastery.

I am sure some folks may think that its not such a big deal. Thats fine, I just think it is. It has no game mechanics behind it really, its just a nifty cookie that the best of the best Arcane casters should get.

Now, to be totally clear, I do not think that ascended characters should have the ability taken away.
No matter what class or levels you take, if you went thru 2 level 40 incarnations, you deserve to be able to show off that level of power and experience. On this basis, Gabriel should be able to levitate, I think... unfortunately its still busted along with the reincarnation gifts.... but in time.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : Not Used: Levitate Animation Style Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Not Used: Levitate Animation Style Empty Re: Not Used: Levitate Animation Style

Post by RayvenNightkind Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:07 pm

I have to say I agree with ya there, on all counts
RayvenNightkind
RayvenNightkind
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1119
Main Character : Sir Rayvensclaw Nightkind Leader of the Clan of Night
Paladin/Champion of Dalix/Wizard
NWN Username : Rayven Nightkind
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00
Registration date : 2008-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Grey_Stooge Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:11 pm

And still busted for some in Ascension too. Also I agree too. Should be a right.
Grey_Stooge
Grey_Stooge
Worldly Guide
Worldly Guide

Number of posts : 238
Main Character : Bram Alley - Shadow Stalker of Beuttleria
Other Character : Bart Bryan - Beuttlerian SFS Warrior
Registration date : 2008-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Kefrem Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:30 am

I mean, Gabriel is a level 26 sorceror, and he has epic spell feats,
sure... but somehow, I just dont feel he should be able to pull off
passive levitation based on his class levels.

My wizard did it all the time in pnp with the spell "Levitate" if anything...maybe a spell version could be written up by ad. I think levitate was level 2 if im not mistaken. That way to simulate the mastery of it...the epic wizards would get the permenant version of it at level 21.

If you dont get it until very high levels...you dont really get to enjoy it...by time you get it..your character is almost max level and ready for restart and lose it again. I found it gave me something to shoot for at low level and it was an incredible incentive to play your wizard. When i got it at level 20 i was all giddy Smile

Another thought...if a wizard is levitating...he should be able to cross gaps that need a jump check and so on to simulate his "floating" over it. This would also give levitation a use beyond a visual effect. It would also open up things like..."cloaks of levitation" and "rings of flying" and such.
Kefrem
Kefrem
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Male Number of posts : 755
Main Character : Ignatius and Sykee
Other Character : Shi'ssar
Other Character. : Spyder
Other Character.. : Tarn
NWN Username : Kefremthemagus
Registration date : 2008-10-06

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/costume.php?mode=view&c=688&bu=

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:11 pm

I think the last 10 levels take the longest and thats plenty of time to enjoy it. Besides, the only time you lose it is during reincarnation. Once you ascend you are supposed to get it right away.

Besides, the length og time you get to enjoy it is largely irrelevant if you think about it, as the whole idea is that the ability is only supposed to be gained when a mage's power has reached incredible levels. Giving it out sooner to allow more time to enjoy it just cheapens it and makes it more common.

As for any sort of mechanical benefits, because the ability is permanent and costs nothing to activate or use.... I dont see it doing much else other than looking cool. If I had to choose between it having a cost (feats, etc) and it just being a visual, I think I would stick with the visual unless the cost was low and the benefit was huge.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:09 pm

I think it's just fine being available at level 20/21. That *is* epic spellcaster range. 9th level spells, half of the requirement for epic spell spells/auto feats (the other half being base spellcraft), epic spell caster, able to do epic spell caster stuff like levitate.

Multiclassing doesn't diminish the epic spell-caster status. It may make the character "feel" less than an epic spell caster than that pure-class caster since the multiclassed is most likely able to go melee without as much spellbuffing, but the pure class and multi-classed epic spell casters are both still epic spell casters.

As it doesn't add any benefit other than style coolness, I see no point at all in upping it's requirements from a gameplay standpoint, and from an RP standpoint, epic is epic is epic...
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:54 pm

I figured some folks would see it differently.

I see the style as something beyond epic spellcasting, since its permanent and has no use/day limitation, hence my suggestion.

As its purely for flavor anyways, I dont see a drawback to raising the requirements... but I do see the flavor value and rarity of it going up.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:51 pm

I understand where you're coming from, daveyeisley, but I have to go with manny on this one. Because it offers no bells and whistles, I don't see the necessity of restricting it to upper epic PCs. Getting to level 21 in Aenea is no easy feat for a spellcaster (I still haven't done it - Dead Jane is about a 14), so access to it is a reward to such a difficult task. Another thing to consider is that the very nature of this game, the PC RPG vs. the PnP Game, skewers things a bit. I've had ioun stones drop from goblins before - and if I recall correctly, PnP ioun stones were rare items indeed. But I know of several Aenean merchants that stock them reliably. Also, if you went by PnP standards, it took helluva forever to get a PC to level 20 and beyond ... but if I recall correctly, several folks had fresh PCs ascended in the two-odd months that I was offline. So we cannot truly compare the two things, PC RPG and PnP Game, for they are Apples and Oranges...

Ultimately, it's mechanically no different than the Sword and Spear or Assassin alternate styles ... and you still have to wait for 21st to get it...
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 4112
Main Character : The Vault of Atrophy
NWN Username : atrophied_eric
DM Name : Dungeon Mistress Anaurra Lide
Time Zone : GMT - 10:00 EST (We have our own time zone!)
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Eric_of_Atrophy

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:27 pm

I wasnt comparing it to PnP.

There isnt even a permanent, passive levitation ability in PnP. Nothing to compare it to in PnP Smile

Closest thing would be a magic item. In aenea, though, there is no cost. It just a side effect of being so powerful that you can levitate yourself, and telekinetically control your weapon and shield at will.

Epic may be epic, but some things are more epic than others... just look at the spellcraft requirements for Epic Mage Armor and then Epic Warding. You can get EMA in very early epic levels, but you have to wait till after 30 for EW.

If I saw some major downside, I would agree with ya... but I really dont.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:44 pm

Oops! Sorry about that, dave, that was Kefrem's post that referenced PnP levitation... Not Used: Levitate Animation Style Icon_redface

I guess this is just one of those things that we agree to disagree ...

"There ain't no good guy, there ain't no bad guy, there's only you and me, and we just disagree..."

I still love ya, bra! Not Used: Levitate Animation Style Icon_cool
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 4112
Main Character : The Vault of Atrophy
NWN Username : atrophied_eric
DM Name : Dungeon Mistress Anaurra Lide
Time Zone : GMT - 10:00 EST (We have our own time zone!)
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Eric_of_Atrophy

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:58 pm

No worries, bro Smile

I knew before posting that some peeps likely wouldnt see it how I do.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:19 pm

That's character level though for EW, not class level.

A multiclassed wizard with 21 caster levels could take EW on that 21st caster level as long as they meet the raw spellcraft requirement.

That same multiclassed wizard could also have auto-quicken/still/silent feats with just 17 wizard levels if his 17th level came on a character level that allowed him to fulfill the spellcraft requirement, as all that's required for them is 9th level spells, and 21 character (not class) levels.

Levitating already requires an extremely hefty pricetag (half your total character levels by the 40th mark)... I just can't see any possible enjoyment or benefit from making it even more elite and exclusive, especially when it doesn't provide anything close to the benefits like +20/50 DR, or +20 AC, or no spell failure in armor.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Thats just it, there isnt a prictag. You dont spend anything on it.

Its not a cost. Its a side benefit., icing on the cake if you will.

And there are no use limitations on it once you have it.

Its just a really cool visual, and I think it should be more exclusive than epic spellcasting. As you say, epic spells can be gotten with multiclassing. But they have mechanical benefits and use limitations.

I dont think casters who can cast epic spells should all be able to pull of passive, permanent levitation. Its a step beyond that in my opinion, and should be a bit more exclusive. Simply put, it its more epic than epic.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:07 pm

How is 20 class levels not a price tag?

Shield, fencer, kensai, assassin and heavy styles have no price tag. Anyone can do them at any time. Monk styles have a price of 2 class levels. Levitation, 20 levels... half a character's total max levels.

I think that making it even harder to get will in no way enhance the enjoyment of it. And really, I think 20 levels is far more than enough cost for a player to enjoy a cool non-function visual as is.

I think casters who can cast epic spells, select epic spell casting feats, and are able to cast 9th level spells should be able to do passive permanent levitation. They can increase their jumping ability as early as 1st level, by 10th level then can controll their position in the world as to not be knocked down, by 12th level they can send themselves and others around the world and back again via teleportation magics...

I just don't see how floating a foot above the ground, nothing more, nothing less, is such a huge step beyond that to make it "more epic than epic".
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:33 pm

Cuz the 20 class levels arent being "paid" for it?

Least, thats what I always thought a pricetag was... paying for something...

Unless you mean that somehow the class levels are being chosen for the sole purpose of being able to levitate? Which doesnt make any sense...

The idea behind there being a requirement for the style, however, is specifically to make it exclusive... to give the style that sense of rarity that can only come from being an elite of the epic magi club.

The increase in enjoyment for those who gain it would be knowing that it is more special than it is now. That a character like Gabriel, for instance, who may be able to do some epic magic, cant quite manage to constantly float and telekinetically wield his gear, despite being an epic spellcaster.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:41 am

[quote]to give the style that sense of rarity that can only come from being an elite of the epic magi club.{/qoute]

Which epic (20+) casters are... elite magi.

I don't see how the 20 levels aren't paying for it. Does this logic apply to other class level based abilities? Is empty body and diamond soul not paid for? Is 15d6 sneak attacks not paid? greater rage? Turn undead? There's nothing "paid" for those as in the sense a player has to deliberately choose the feats/skill points, yet, the player still has to invest X number of class levels to attain those things.

I think that's the very definition of "pay" for. Invest X, get Y. 20 levels of wiz or sorc gets levitation style, which in the grand scheme of things, is nothing compared to other class level based perks. Still mind is the only other one I can think of that requires a 20 level investment into a class, and making floating 10 levels more costly than mindspell immunity seems kinda silly

I just cannot fathom how a simple trick of levitation equates to the godliest of epic abilities unattainable by casters who canotherwise bend and twist space, time and energy with ease, nor agree that from a player standpoint, an already incredibly limited perk should be even more restricted. I guess we're just going to have to disagree on this matter.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:54 am

"an elite *of* the epic magi club".

Not just part of the epic magi club, but an elite thereof, meaning, beyond the freshly initiated. A non-newcomer to epic magic. Seasoned, advanced, etc.

The the difference in our view of the levitation ability seems to be related to me placing profound significance on the fact that the leviation is permanent and passive - It has no limited usage, and requires no resources or even concentration on behalf of the user.

As even epic spells require these things, I see the style as transcending those abilities in terms of the magical potency and skill needed to achieve it. It may seem a small thing in itself, but what it indicates to me is *much* more.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:05 am

Yes, very astute, it requires no resources, concentration checks, or any uses/day.

Nor does it allow one to fly over ledges or trees, protect one from being tripped (knockdown protection), protect one from staggering amounts of damage, or blow things up, or even simply float over a stream of lava...

The magi... floats a foot off the ground. Nothing more, nothing less.

Awesomely cool, yes.

Really not too much more than a parlor trick compared to the other things a spell caster able to wield 9th level+ spells is capable of.

I just cannot seem to denigrate an epic caster able to cast 9th level spells as "freshly initiated" like some apprentice novice struggling with their first cantrip.

Nor do I disagree with any other player's personal decision to NOT use the style should they feel their epic caster isn't worthy of it and/or it doesn't fit with their persona.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:18 am

No need to get sarcastic Smile

Well, it does a little more than allow floating, remember the afore mentioned effortless Telekinetic weapon and shield wielding.

The other things a high level caster is capable of actually consume resources. They are temporary and not sustainable. No spell in the game is mechanically permanent that does not also consume resources, epic or otherwise.

Heh, as for "freshly initiated", please note that I specified that it was in reference to Epic magic. As I think we agree Epic Magic is in a different category from regular spells up to 9th level?

Its not about whether somebody chooses to use it or not. Its about how exclusive access to that choice is.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:32 am

Fly, 3rd level spell. Or, overland flight, 5th level spell.

Permenant spell, 5th level spell, universal school.

Or,

Persistent spell, metamagic feat, spell cast as 6 levels higher (fly would therefore be 9th level when cast persistently).

PnP casters, IOW, are able to float about in the same manner, if not with the permenant spell combo, then with persistent spell (which uses up 1 spell slot per day).... although, they actually fly, not just float....

well before 30th level. Before 20th even.

I think that the NWN animation style visual doesn't actually make the magi fly, nor that there is any NWN translations of said spells is fair enough in the tradeoff of the 20+ level caster being able to persistently float rather than being able to accomplish such much, much earlier levelwise.

As for the weapons thing... I think we an all safely write that up as a quirk of the animation style rather than an intrinsic statement of "Magi casts permenant levitation on any and all object he holds in his hands" Razz

And as for how exclusive it is... as I mentioned, 20 levels investment isn't nothing. It's substantial (50% of the character's total possible levels). And many of us do indeed see our 20+ but not 30+ casters as magically capable of accomplishing such thing. You don't view your character as such, and that is 100% your choice, but please, don't imply that because you don't see your vampire as that magically powerful as crideas that nobody else should be able to view their 20+ casters as adept with magic.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:44 am

All your examples consume resources, and pemanence costs XP on top of it, and the effect is dispellable.

None of that applies to the levitate style.

Persistent spell changes the duration to 24 hours, not pemanent... and thats two feats plus a 7th to 9th level spell slot every single day.

Im not willing to write up the telekinesis as such because its part of the style's "awesome". Its what it does visually and it doesnt look like a "quirk", and that part of it is just as, if not more relevant than the floating to this suggestion.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:11 am

The investment of 20+ levels gets you all the class features. Thats what they are supposed to "pay" for. The levitate style is not a class feature.

Remember that ascended characters of any class gain access to it.

You don't view your
character as such, and that is 100% your choice, but please, don't
imply that because you don't see your vampire as that magically
powerful as crideas that nobody else should be able to view their 20+
casters as adept with magic.

I dont think this last bit was really called for, do you?

If you dont agree with my suggestion, thats fine, I expected that.
No need to make it sound as if there is malicious intent behind it.
There certainly isn't, and I resent the implication.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Kefrem Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:51 am

An interesting thought i had a long while back...would be magical items that gave the ability instead of it just being granted. Mind you a wizzy could/should still get it at high levels. But would be cool to see an actual item or two say...a cloak(cloak of levitation mind you? Razz) that when worn activates the style. It would also have the *fly* ability tag 1/day or such also on it with some stat bonuses or something to make it appealing to actually wear. Hell id be in my glory with iggy then Razz(points at sig below,shameless plug)

This would then take it out of the avenue of unbalancing and into the realm of pnp again..as it could then be removed...fly cant be used indoor and that sort of thing. It would however require one thing...

It would need to be scripted...that = more resources used.
Kefrem
Kefrem
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:56 pm

So... how about those 20+ Clerics of Mystara that are suppose "to be able to control arcane magics as good as any arcane mage" .... these guys/girls deserve the power of levitate, are in the epic caster ranges, have 9th level spells, access to epic spells, shrug off 90% of all magic attacks... .. yet as a devout follower of the mistress of magic, can't levitate ...

I'd agree with dave on this one though.. the ability to *passively levitate and telekinetically control your possesions* is something that seems just a bit beyound normal epic standards.... ...

So how about some form of workaround for both ideas ? .... ...
What I'm suggesting is this ... .. a quest from the guild of the arcane circle (that big magic palace in Calithia ~ I'm sure you know the one I'm thinking about, it's got loads of lights and beams around it)... . .. what this would entail is a quest that IS doable at 21st level, but that you would NEED to do to be able to access levitate.... .... this way ANY epic caster could levitate BUT they would have to prove thier worth, power and ability to be able to do so ..... .... how does that sound ?

Also can you guys clear something up for me ?... Epic levels are 21st + correct ? .... can you levitate from 20th or 21st ? ... ??.... ...
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2271
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:35 pm

Rusty, epic characters are 21st level and up. Wiz/Sorcs get levitate
at class level 20. Multiclassed epics can't levitate until they get
the class elvels.

Dave,

All those examples also give something well beyond simply floating. Flying. Up, down, not just horizontal land hovering.

As I said, in case it was missed, I think that the ability is bumped up to a level over what PnP mages can accomplish is a fair trade off for the simple fact that the NWN animation style doesn't give the full benefit that a PnP mage gets at the lower levels/higher cost.

If the spells (fly/telekinesis) and feats (persistent spell) were added, sure, by all means, make the style 'cost something'. It would defeat the intent of your suggestion however in that it wouldn't take away levitation from people, but rather make it available to even lower level PCs

Permenant spell isn't "persisntent" spell. Please note I noted two examples. One requires a 9th level spell slot and is dispellable. One is permenant, requiring two one-time castings of 5th and lower level spells and is surpressable, not dispellable.

If the telekinetic hovering weapons is so powerful in your opinion to be more epic than epic, hell, I much rather have the style edited to hold the weapons in hand than have it taken away from characters who have earned it.

Ascended characters also gain crit immunity. A class feature of Palemasters and Ironhearts. So you point is... that crit immunity isn't really a class feature for those two classes because any ascended character gets them?

If it is indeed logically true that since all ascendeds get (or supposed to get) levitate that it's not a wiz/sorc class feature, it must be logically true for other aspects of ascended bonsues as well.

You're the one apparently getting angry here. If you don't like the fact that I echo a sentiment you've already stated yourself right from your initial post (that Gabe isn't in your view such a powerful magi), then don't make such a sentiment. Don't try to twist it into me making some imaginary personal attack on you either.

So yes, it was completely called for.

If you don't want to view your characters as such, that is, ad nasuem, your choice 100%. Don't expect others to view their characters as you do either however. Resent it all you want, try to twist it into a personal slam against you if you wish, I really do not care, and frankly will stop responding to you if you're aiming to turn this into yet another stupid personal argument. Thanks.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:58 pm

*sigh*

I already countered all the examples you gave Manny. I didn't deny what they can do, but pointed out that they use resources and take effort, thus they don't stand as examples of why the levitate style is a simple parlor trick.

I am well aware of the difference between permanence and persistent spell. I noted the Xp cost of permanence and the feats and spell slot cost of Persistent spell. Somehow I think you missed that.

Permanency is indeed dispellable by the wording in the 3.0 SRD.
Even if the target spell is cast on the caster themself (the dispeller has to be equal or higher caster level to the level permanency was cast at). This would remove the permanent duration of the effect, thus ending it. It is not a matter of supression as with a magic item. And then, the original caster is out the XP... which is why I almost never use the permanency spell.

While you seem to have issue with why I think the style is so powerful and should be more exclusive.... I can't seem to grasp why its such a big deal to have to wait a bit longer to get it, either thru more levels or ascension. Nobody is having it "taken away". Everybody can still get it, even with my suggestion.

I used Gabriel as an example of a caster who is not 30th level, but close. As an example, it was intended to show why I feel any character below 30th who hasnt ascended wouldn't be able to effortlessly levitate and telekinese their gear. That would include Crideas when he is/was below level 30 as well as any other PCs I play, until they ascend. Its not about me or my PCs at all. I suggested it to increase the rarity and enjoyment for everyone who gets the style.

Levitate isn't a class feature and never was. Its not a deal breaker to me to have my non-ascended PCs below level 30 not be able to do it, apprently it is to you, though I can't fathom why.

Im not angry, just insulted by how you're trying to portray the intent of my
suggestion to be some sort of quest by to me to ruin other people's
enjoyment. Thats not correct or fair. I was just hoping your
tone would go back to being neutral. Its clearly not at this point, and I never wanted this thread to go that route.

@kefrem: my suggestion was aimed at increasing the rarity, which having items for it would sort of do the oppostie. Also, the resources and scripting would be an issue. I wouldnt mind seeing a set of boots that can do the floating, but because the style includes the telekinesis, I dont think it would quite fit.

@Rusty -I like the quest idea. I think combining that with raising the non-ascended level requirement would really give the style a feel of being super special.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Svair Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:58 pm

I can't wait the Ascended bug is fixed and Phyllick is able to levitate. I'm going to call it Anger Propulsion®️.
Svair
Svair
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1178
Main Character : Karamip Ningle
Other Character : Phyllick Delucian
NWN Username : S'Vair

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:39 am

daveyeisley wrote:*sigh*

Not Used: Levitate Animation Style Icon_rolleyes

I already countered all the examples you gave Manny. I didn't deny what they can do, but pointed out that they use resources and take effort, thus they don't stand as examples of why the levitate style is a simple parlor trick.

Let me help you with understanding:

"I just cannot fathom how a simple trick of levitation equates to the
godliest of epic abilities unattainable by casters who canotherwise
bend and twist space, time and energy with ease"

"Really not too much more than a parlor trick compared to the other
things a spell caster able to wield 9th level+ spells is capable of."

"20 levels of wiz or sorc gets levitation style, which in the grand
scheme of things, is nothing compared to other class level based perks."

Yes, you countered they take resources. Please try to keep up with my rebuttal that the 'resources' of 2 one time castings by a 10th level mage is negliable to nil, especially if you're trying to compare such a situation to something only attainable by a 30+ mage.

Let me further bring you up to speed:

"If the spells (fly/telekinesis) and feats (persistent spell) were
added, sure, by all means, make the style 'cost something'. It would
defeat the intent of your suggestion however in that it wouldn't take
away levitation from people, but rather make it available to even lower
level PCs"

Let me repeat, again, and again if necessary... if impelenting the spells to satisfy the "cost" of two one time castings and a tiny bit of XP is what would satisfy your "requires resources" argument... by all means. Let that be the way. I think however, again, repeating myself, it would defeat the purpose of your original argument in that it would lower the level that it would be available at, and in the long run, it's just kinda silly in the current set up.

I am well aware of the difference between permanence and persistent spell. I noted the Xp cost of permanence and the feats and spell slot cost of Persistent spell. Somehow I think you missed that.

No, I didn't. Please read my arguments in full.

Permanency is indeed dispellable by the wording in the 3.0 SRD.

My 3.5 says surpressed. If you want to quibble over 3.0 vs 3.5, whatever, your win.

While you seem to have issue with why I think the style is so powerful and should be more exclusive.... I can't seem to grasp why its such a big deal to have to wait a bit longer to get it, either thru more levels or ascension. Nobody is having it "taken away". Everybody can still get it, even with my suggestion.

Um, logic check. You raise the limit to 30th, and non-ascended wizard/sorcs of levels 20-29 have it taken away from then. Does this need to be clarified (if possible) any further?

[qoute]I used Gabriel as an example of a caster who is not 30th level, but close.[/quote]

How very nice for you.

And as I have said multiple times, if you wish to view your epic PC casters as not being powerful enough, that is completely 100% your choice. Do not expect everyone else to hold that same opinion.

I have said, multiple times now, that I do not agree that the levitation style is "more epic than epic", and that I think it's perfectly fine now as rare as it currently is (only wizard/sorcs of 20+ class levels can access it), and I think it's very enjoyable as is. I do view it as something 20+ casters are capable of.

Levitate isn't a class feature and never was. Its not a deal breaker to me to have my non-ascended PCs below level 30 not be able to do it, apprently it is to you, though I can't fathom why.

Logic check.

Levitation is a class feature in that is only available to wizard and sorcerer classes.

It is not available to barbairans, bards, clerics, rogues, fighters, paladins, rangers, monks, or any of the prestige classes.

To clarify further, in game, type "style help". You will note that under "levitation", it states "20+ arcane casters or ascended characters only".

Ascension isn't a base class or prestige class or semiclass. I have illuminated this point in prior posts that benefits given by ascension do not make such benefits not class features when granted to a character when they obtain level X of class Y (ie, crit immunity for ironhearts/palemasters, disease immunity for paladins/monks, poison immunity for druids/paladins) That ascension gives those benefits does not make them not class features to the classes that receive those things.

Why can't you grasp why I do not agree with you on this idea?

Frankly, I have no idea dave. I'm not in your head, I cannot explain to you why it's impossible for you to grasp why I don't automatically agree with you or I would have the audacity to disagree with your arguments... all I can do is state my reasons. It's up to you if you wish to acknowledge them or not.

[quote]Im not angry, just insulted by how you're trying to portray the intent of my
suggestion to be some sort of quest by to me to ruin other people's
enjoyment.[quote]

Please refrain from strawman arguments. Really. Stop.

I really cannot help that you feel insulted that I do not agree with your suggestion. I really cannot help that you feel personally insulted because of why I think it's a poor idea.

Thats not correct or fair.

I'm terribly sorry for you that you do not think it's correct or fair that I do not agree with your suggestion or the arguments behind it. I really have no idea what to say other than sorry, but I do not agree with your idea. It's up to you to be OK with that or not *shrugs*

I was just hoping your
tone would go back to being neutral. Its clearly not at this point, and I never wanted this thread to go that route.

Logic check.

You cannot hear my voice, or any particular tone it has to it. This is text, not voice recordings.

If you didn't want it to get personal, you can, and still have to option to not complain about how insulted you are, or how incorrect or unfair it is that I do not agree with your suggestions.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:46 am

Svair wrote:I can't wait the Ascended bug is fixed and Phyllick is able to levitate. I'm going to call it Anger Propulsion®️.

Not *that* is funny Smile

Not Used: Levitate Animation Style Icon_lol

Maybe Phyll eats bean burritos before going out to fight... and when he gets mad... he gets really, really bad gas....

Eeewww.... sometimes.... I scar my own psyche...
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:57 am

Hey folks, Im really sorry.

Apparently, I can't have a disagreement on these forums without things getting nasty.

I never intend for it, but it seems to keep happening. Nobody needs to read all of that stuff, so I just want to sincerely apologize for starting this whole thread, and for it going downhill.

As it stands, there seems to me mixed reaction. Some folks like being able to do the levitate style as non-ascended 20+ Level casters.

Some others think it would be cooler to make it level 30+.

I think the productive part of the thread has passed at this point.

Again, sorry.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Svair Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:01 am

daveyeisley wrote:

Apparently, I can't have a disagreement on these forums without things getting nasty...

Again, sorry.

You hurt Pyllick's feelings. He eats a steady diet of corn! Not Used: Levitate Animation Style Icon_sad

Better Anger Propulsion®️ than Hot Air Suspension™️. Not Used: Levitate Animation Style Icon_biggrin

Seriously though, no offensive was taken by me, and I certainly mean no offense on my part. If I rib, I mean it in good fun, and I believe that (nearly*) all suggestions should be taken with some seriousness.

~S'vair

* Oh hia, can Phyllick haz Epic Mage Armor?
Svair
Svair
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1178
Main Character : Karamip Ningle
Other Character : Phyllick Delucian
NWN Username : S'Vair

Back to top Go down

Post by RayvenNightkind Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:14 am

* Oh hia, can Phyllick haz Epic Mage Armor?

Not Used: Levitate Animation Style Icon_eek Wow, that would just be nasty

*shudders at the thought*
RayvenNightkind
RayvenNightkind
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1119
Main Character : Sir Rayvensclaw Nightkind Leader of the Clan of Night
Paladin/Champion of Dalix/Wizard
NWN Username : Rayven Nightkind
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00
Registration date : 2008-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Kefrem Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:33 am

I myself havent cared for the floating weapons myself actually...some look just...odd when floating next to you (bows mind you lol) I could do without the floaty weapons...the shield was kinda cool...as with an emitter shield it looked like a "Shield of the Seraphim" Dr.Strange always used...but thats just my fanboy for him talkin there lol.

As for rarity i can agree with ya on that dave...should be a bit more rare...or eventually everyone will be floating on aenea Razz The quest idea would be cool..to unlock it like on MMO's.
Kefrem
Kefrem
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean