Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Note to Players

3 posters

Go down

A Note to Players Empty A Note to Players

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:37 am

Hi folks.

I just wanted to drop a note here to ask a favor of you, especially of the more established players.

I've noticed a trend lately where a lot of new characters are wandering around with equipment they would have no way of getting on their own or by teaming up with people to acquire it. In some cases (as with the armor of the redeemed), there is a story that goes with the item that is missed if it is just handed out without being earned.

I know everyone wants to be friendly and helpful in aiding newer players, but it kind of drags down the challenge and sense of accomplishment for players if they are just gifted powerful items and lots of cash without actually adventuring for it.

I try for a "closer to pen & paper D&D" feel here in Aenea. I've purposely left BioWare's Item Level Restrictions turned off (by implementing my own, more limited system), but I intended that decision to work in favor of granting things like bonus feats and customizing some items that appear in certain locations or after doing certain tasks, not to allow the newest characters to be given some of the most powerful gear in the game before they even reach 8th level.

I know, it sounds like I'm coming down on you, but I'm not. I just want everyone to have the chance to get the same feeling of both challenge and accomplishment when they go out adventuring, without being immediately fed with all the money, equipment, and knowledge others found adventuring. If you really want to help out the new players and you're much higher level, how about volunteering to act as a guide that travels along with them and provides advice (and maybe raise dead readings) and direction to answers.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

A Note to Players Empty Re: A Note to Players

Post by daveyeisley Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:07 pm

Early on I made the mistake of haning out some items that were WAAAY to powerful for new players.

I learned form this, and have since stuck to handing out only minor trinkets to help out with the early levelling process.

I may take higher level characters out on "whirlwind tours" occaisionally, but that is reserved for level 10 or so and above, and I dont give them all the really powerful loot. I may give them a part of a crafted plot item like the above referenced armor (and only after going through the exploration of the story related to that part), and I might hint at what they should do with that part... but I wont actually give them all the stuff and tell them exactly what to do.

The exploration and discovery is key to the Aenea experience.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : A Note to Players Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by jadegriffon Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:43 pm

Hmm I got that armour but i bought it at tradeholm with all my hard earned gold and selling practically everything else i owned ,inc healing potions ,rings ,the works!
At the time i didnt realise it was a quest item,just thought it was custom to this server.
jadegriffon
jadegriffon
Apprentice
Apprentice

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:52 pm

Just bumping this and adding a little bit.

I've noticed a trend emerging, of lower level characters suddenly fully decked out in items (and gold) obtained by other characters belonging to the same character. Please refrain from doing this, as it strains the immersion for both yourself and for other players.

Try to think role-play logically about this one...your character might hesitate to give away a very valuable item, especially to someone he or she has never met before...and since multiple characters of the same player can never meet...it becomes more of a manipulation of a computer program than playing a D&D game...

On another note, more related to the first post in this thread:

For those with powers of teleportation, please try to avoid teleporting other characters beyond challenges you've already faced (such as mazes, riddles, puzzles, etc.), unless that character has also overcome that challenge. This ruins the sense of satisfaction that player would have otherwise gained by actually finishing the challenge themselves.

I see the Wanderer's portals as fair game, since every character is not required to learn how to use them.

Also, try to avoid partying with characters much lower level than yourself and "feeding" them XP by defeating enemies while they sit back and sit bored.

Thanks, folks! I just want this game to be immersive, fun, and challenging for everyone.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:04 pm

Don't think of these as hard rules, more of suggestions to help out those that focus on role-playing.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level