Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Used: Epic Magic: Destroy Seed

2 posters

Go down

Used: Epic Magic: Destroy Seed Empty Used: Epic Magic: Destroy Seed

Post by daveyeisley Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:25 am

I was thinking about this seed some more, along the lines of how the 70d6 seed has an outlandish base spellcraft DC, and on a failed save inflicts maybe 250 damage, at the cost of BoM, XP, and % of max hps, especially if one wants to increase the DC, caster level, or add an area.

I think the seed should inflict the 70d6 regardless on a successful save, and simply outright kill the creature on a failed save (doing like 9999 magical damage similar to how the Black Blade of Disaster kills things that fail). It is called the Destroy seed, afterall, lol. It shouldn't take multiple failed saves to kill something.

For the cost associated with using a juiced up area version, I see no reason why a spell such as Wail of the Banshee would or should be more effective, and the current state of things... that is exactly the case.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : Used: Epic Magic: Destroy Seed Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Used: Epic Magic: Destroy Seed Empty Re: Used: Epic Magic: Destroy Seed

Post by daveyeisley Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:48 pm

Another thought on this one.

Base Destroy seed, (70d6 damage). Requires a crapload of XP and gold to research, and a DC 127 spellcraft check every single time someone attempts to cast it, even if it is totally unmodified.

Target fails a fort save, they take around 240 damage. If they make the save, only about 120.

Disintegrate. 7th level spell. Easy to get, no spellcraft check to cast. Has a touch attack on top of the save, but if the target fails the save, they are dead. If they make the save, it only does about 15 acid damage.

Telemus Acrcanum IX. 9th level spell. Easy to get, no spellcraft check to cast. Touch attack, but no save. Does about 120 Damage.

Basically what this is meant to illustrate is:

1. A failed save against the supposedly "Epic" Destroy seed yields a significantly less desirable outcome than a failed save against a regular 7th level non-epic spell that doesn't cost XP or gold to research, or have a ridiculous DC spellcraft check in order to cast.

2. A successful save against that same "Epic" seed yields the same result as a regular 9th level spell that has no save, and that doesn't cost XP or gold to research, or have a ridiculous DC spellcraft check in order to cast.

For the cost of investment to learn, and the requirements to cast it, shouldn't the epic seed be superior in all respects to these non-epic spells? Personally, I think yes. The damage should beat out Telemus Acrcanum IX even if the save is successful (ie. target takes the whole 70d6), and in the case of a failed save the target should be utterly Destroyed.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : Used: Epic Magic: Destroy Seed Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Used: Epic Magic: Destroy Seed Empty Re: Used: Epic Magic: Destroy Seed

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:00 pm

Suggestion used. Now inflicts 9,999 damage on a failed save, listed dice on a successful save.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com