Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not Used: A thought about words and magic items ...

3 posters

Go down

Not Used: A thought about words and magic items ... Empty Not Used: A thought about words and magic items ...

Post by Eric of Atrophy Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:43 pm

Hi!

I would love to see ioun stones (maybe) and other magic items that require an activation be tied to "speaking" a command word ... harkening back to the days of old, where you could use a weapon, but couldn't turn it on until you knew the password ... think current HoD ...

This would also free up quickslot spaces, as well, and could do away with that goofy "I'm using an item" animation ...

What say ye?
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 4112
Main Character : The Vault of Atrophy
NWN Username : atrophied_eric
DM Name : Dungeon Mistress Anaurra Lide
Time Zone : GMT - 10:00 EST (We have our own time zone!)
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Eric_of_Atrophy

Back to top Go down

Not Used: A thought about words and magic items ... Empty Re: Not Used: A thought about words and magic items ...

Post by daveyeisley Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:02 pm

Well, I would love to have another quickslot freed up, to be sure Smile

So it would be great to have a quick, easy VC command to initiate the ioun stone management conversation, something like ;;ioun maybe.

What would be ever better is if there was some way for that system to work with less scripts, because, as I understand it, each option in the dialogue has its own separate script... so thats like 10 scripts or more ( I think more) to work the ioun management system. The problem with this is, I don't have any ideas or suggestions on how to streamline it... or maybe I do....

... perhaps we could have VC commands to toggle the on/off variable status of specific stones. Provided this variable persisted through a server reset (something stored in the character's "." database book item?) Then when the ;;ioun command is used, only one script fires to bring those effects into play.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : Not Used: A thought about words and magic items ... Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Not Used: A thought about words and magic items ... Empty Re: Not Used: A thought about words and magic items ...

Post by Eric of Atrophy Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:25 pm

Why not just have one big ol' script - each ioun stone could have its own abbreviation, like ;;ioun ib, or ;;ioun pws ... and whenever the ;;ioun xxx is spoken, the script goes down and executes the appropriate fork?

(Y'all gotta forgive me, it's been a few years since I've seriously scripted, and even then I relied on the good graces of The Amethyst Dragon, Sharona Curves and Lilac Soul ... plus my mathematics skills/understandings are nothing short of barf ...)
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:30 pm

I dig why The Amethyst Dragon used the convo to organize the scripting for the ioun stones ... I just have grown to not like it, as it strikes me as being too much out of character ...

now, maybe if I could rename the crystal like "Ioun Stone Focus Gem", that might not be so bad ...

honestly, though, I'd love to see all of the various inventory widgets go the way of the kiwi. vc commands are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Why not use the little "." book for more than just variable storage ... put useful information on it, like releveling scale control variables and whatnot ... again, clear out the stuff ... I can count the number of times I've used the treasure splitter device ... 0 ... I always drop it when I make a new pc.
Sorry for the rambling, these are things I was thinking of as I was pondering the ioun stones ...
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:38 pm

I would imagine it's one script as well. Not sure how The Amethyst Dragon set it up, but the way I would do a VC system is the chat catches what the player says, and runs it through a case switch. If there's a ton of VC commands, to keep the whole thing managable, I'd even split it into several includes... one include containing all the tradeskill stuff, one all the semiclass stuff, ect, ect, ect...
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:48 pm

I think the treasure splitter is good to keep, personally.

As for "one big ol' script" for iouns, I dont want to have to type 6 VC commands in after every reset to get my iouns going. I wouldn't mind typing six VC commands once each, ever, to set the variables, and then the only thing I need to type in after resets would be ;;ioun.

Then the only time I would need to use the other ioun vc commands would be if I want to switch what stones I am using.

Also, both methods would still only use "one script", as I am pretty certain the VC command script is a big, consolidated, single script.

The relevel scales function would best be split into a vc command (limited to 2 uses per 40 levels) such as ;;relevel with no argument, that would transport the PC to the relevelling chamber. Then use an OnUse script on the flag in the chamber in combination with the ;;relevel xx command, where xx is the number of levels the PC wishes to go down (and have their XP refunded for). This way the player can actually fix errors made while still in the chamber without having to bug a DM.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : Not Used: A thought about words and magic items ... Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down