Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Improvement for the Shadowdancer Class

+3
daveyeisley
blackdragon12121
Angel of Death
7 posters

Go down

improvements to the shadow dancer class - Improvement for the Shadowdancer Class Empty Improvement for the Shadowdancer Class

Post by Angel of Death Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:35 pm

I am going to make a new thread for this, since I'll be going off topic. Original thread is here.

In PnP the Shadowdancer gets both the ability to create illusions and jumping small distances using shadows, but NWN never gave the class those abilities for some reason or other (which arent important here).
Anyway, was thinking that it wouldn't be too farfetched for them to get those two abilities. The Shadow Jump ability would be something akin to the Transference spell and the Shadow Illusion ability, well, I think it wouldn't be too hard to make...(not entirely sure, but isn't there a illusion spell already for wizards which creates images?)
A small boost for the summon they get would be nice, its basically useless as is in combat.
Angel of Death
Angel of Death
Epic Level
Epic Level

Number of posts : 1132
Main Character : CĂ©lestin Chevalier; Knight Champion of Dalix. Protector of the Innocent. Slayer of Evil.
Other Character : Angelique Nightstar; Arcane Archer.
Personal Quote: "The way of the bow is simplicity and beauty combined with power and discipline."
Other Character. : Bruce Li; Wanderer and Practitioner of the Dragon Paw Style. & Cherry; Starchild of Jewel n' Chancetaker of Lysis.
Other Character.. : Anna, Weaver of Illusions. - You can read about all of them following this link to their Biographies! =)
NWN Username : I await You in the End
Time Zone : Central European Timezone
Registration date : 2010-12-11

Back to top Go down

improvements to the shadow dancer class - Improvement for the Shadowdancer Class Empty Re: Improvement for the Shadowdancer Class

Post by blackdragon12121 Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:11 pm

Agreed.
blackdragon12121
blackdragon12121
Adventurer
Adventurer

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2010-12-03

Back to top Go down

improvements to the shadow dancer class - Improvement for the Shadowdancer Class Empty Re: Improvement for the Shadowdancer Class

Post by daveyeisley Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:05 pm

Link to this related thread.

Perhaps a merge is in order?
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : improvements to the shadow dancer class - Improvement for the Shadowdancer Class Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:57 am

On shadow daze, I am not sure it needs a duration boost, but certainly a scaling number of uses per day would be great. Maybe max it out at 5 uses or so, but something more than 1/day.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : improvements to the shadow dancer class - Improvement for the Shadowdancer Class Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:06 pm

I'll be requesting a rod with Transference to simulate the Shadow Jump, that seems like it would work well enough.

But I am concerned that the Summons has a reputation for being weak. Since I've never played a L10 ShadowDancer before, is it really useless?

Along with the discussion on the too-short duration of Shadow Evade, it makes me wonder if it's worth taking ShadowDancer above level 3.

What do you Shadow Dancers out there find really useful in the class as it stands (besides level 1 HIPS, of course)?
Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Female Number of posts : 1050
Main Character : Ramana Domefarar -
Publicly a Ranger, privately an Opportunist.
Lay Follower of Jewel,
Sensate and practitioner of the Way of Pleasure.

Other Character : Ranara Duauth -
A being created by shadow and water, a wizard.
Is actually another persona of Ramana.

Other Character. : Dae, the panther,
companion to both Ramana and Ranara,
and the best real eye-witness to the
strange circumstance of those alternating personae.

Other Character.. : The Personae of Ramana Jala
NWN Username : Ramana Jala
Time Zone : US Eastern Time
Registration date : 2011-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:08 pm

I use the transference on my one SD's boots to simulate that as well. Named her boots Shadowjump or somesuch as well.

On the summons... the epic shadowlord isn't *horrible* but it's not great either, especially compared to other relatively same level summons (gate's balors, PM's epic level summons, some of the bard deadman's summons, ect).

The non-epic version sucks bigtime though. It's *somewhat* useful in certain situations if you go SD early as possible, but quickly loses even it's small utility until the epic shadowlord.

A tweak to both would be nice, the lower version more so than the epic version.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:36 pm

Well, looks like if one takes the Shadow Child race with its 20% Concealment, then ShadowDancer class levels are nearly useless, certainly from Level 2 to 10, unless you can take 30 levels. Even the DR is no better than casting Ethereal Visage.

Yes, tweaks for Level 10 ShadowDancer would be nice, to balance it here. Even making the ShadowDancer Concealment stackable by making it a version of the Self-Concealment feat might be useful.

And btw, as mentioned here, it would be similarly useful for the Shadow Child Concealment to be a version of the Self-Concealment feat, to make it stackable with ShadowDancer and the discrete Self-Concealment feats. (Up to the five times that the Self-Concealment feats are allowed. That would make the potential of the feat actualized, since five times isn't even possible in the original game.)

Last edited by Ramana Jala on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:06 am; edited 2 times in total
Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:04 pm

Yes, shadowchildren would definitely benefit from having their concealment from the feats. Their hide/movesilently bonus too (it's negated at level 30 onward).
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Kefrem Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:30 pm

But I am concerned that the Summons has a reputation for being weak. Since I've never played a L10 ShadowDancer before, is it really useless?

This was a problem over on another server i had..nearly all the nwn summons were weak cause they were geared only to work up to level 20 as that was the original max level for the game. Later after HotU was released and they pushed it all the way to 40 they never bothered to boost the beasties to match that and thats why nearly every summons in the game blows after bout level 18.

The Elementals are a prime example...the biggest example is the summon IX, you get a HUGE elemental of a random type and its only i think level 14...or is it 18...either way if your level 40 mage fighting level 40 stuff....the pet lasts a whole 12 seconds tops and cant hit jack squat.

I think what is needed and i saw this on one server i played on but cant remember where....they made the spell check caster level....then pull an elemental from a new table that went all the way to 40 as its max. The table just added extra HD and extra attack bonus along with AC and it made the pet at least able to survive in combat...even if it didnt get extra abilities.
Kefrem
Kefrem
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Male Number of posts : 755
Main Character : Ignatius and Sykee
Other Character : Shi'ssar
Other Character. : Spyder
Other Character.. : Tarn
NWN Username : Kefremthemagus
Registration date : 2008-10-06

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/costume.php?mode=view&c=688&bu=

Back to top Go down

Post by titus Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:43 pm

Ramana Jala wrote:But I am concerned that the Summons has a reputation for being weak. Since I've never played a L10 ShadowDancer before, is it really useless?
i'm actually very fond of playing shadowdancers. i usually take them into the epic levels. imho the summons aren't weak, per se ; it's just that they're not really useful in the way a normal summons would be. it's true that as a basic melee companion, the summoned shadows aren't comparable to a typical summons of like level :
[*] you've already got a minimum of 7 levels to gain before you get to sd, so even at like level, the summoned shadow won't stack up against a creature summoned by a caster of like character level;
[*] the summoned shadows are lower level than the sd, exacerbating the problem.
[*] the summoned shadows are bugged [they don't get the usual shadow special attacks], as are the summoned shadow fiends [a.i. bugs often prevent it from attacking, so it just stands around]

otoh, they're very useful if used strategically, rather than as melee fodder. for example, against opponents who are difficult to hit, they allow you to flank the opponent, which gives you an additional +2 to hit. additionally, a multi-classed sd/rogue [not uncommon] then benefits because his attacks are sneak attacks.

so to sum up, they're not weak if used strategically, but in a non-strategic context, yes, they suck.
titus
titus
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Number of posts : 176
Location : here... i'm in here! let me out! *bang,bang,bang* let me out!
Main Character : pin, cleric of mystara
Other Character : kiir'iss, displaced drow bard of myth'sarel
NWN Username : titus
Time Zone : GMT-8:00
Registration date : 2011-11-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:57 pm

That's a good point on the Flanking, and with Sneak Attack if you have Rogue. I'll have to remember that. But any summons could do that for you, presumably? So an Animal Companion or a spell/rod of Summoning Animal or Undead could do that for anybody.

But, back to the issue with Concealment. The Amethyst Dragon, do you think that there's any possibility of the Shadow Child 20% Concealment being made from two Self-Concealment feats, in order that they become stackable with taking discrete Self-Concealment feats? Like was mentioned before, this would make the potential of 50% Concealment an actually realizable possibility.
Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:37 am

RustyDios wrote:It has been discussed previously that the [Shadow Child] subrace concealment be added as SCI & SCII to the PC's skin (for future epic upgrade to SCIII+).. I can't remember if the idea got lost in the ether, was shot down, or not achievable though... ... and I can't find the previous posts for those arguments to check them either...

Anyone know any more about these supposed previous discussions on this topic?
Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:27 pm

I'm still all for the shadowchild concealment coming from the SCI and II feats.

For a shadowchild who's build is going for SCV (which is already an extraordinarily expensive investment)... they have to *reinvest* into the SCI and SCII feats... and continue to pay the same XP subrace penalty after said investment.

I still advocate the same "feat" application of skill bonuses as well... Any subrace with a skill bonus has that skill bonus effectively erased upon reaching the last few levels, but still has to pay the subrace XP costs for no gain at all.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:32 pm

Glad to hear you're also in favor of Shadowchild concealment coming from SCI and II feats to make it stackable with the rest of the five allowed Self-Concealment feats, Manny.

And I totally agree that the skills advantages for subraces (as I did mention myself somewhere else recently), which are currently only additions into one's skills investment up front and totally subject to the character's skill investment limits, including being subject to the cross-class skill limits, could more appropriately be true bonuses which stack, regardless of the character's skill investment limits.

I was a bit disappointed to find that the Hide and other skill additions for my Shadowchild wizard came out of my wizard's own skill investment allowances, and all those being cross-class skills for a wizard, was in the end little gain for me either. Having that much of those skills available from the start, before I could have taken them, wasn't as significant a benefit as if I could have taken my own maximum of (cross-class) skills, and then have the subrace bonuses stack over top of that. An Intelligent wizard has plenty of points to put into skills, and it would make so much more sense for the subrace skill 'bonuses' to be true stackable bonuses (subject only to the +50 cap on skills, of course), giving more than a wizard may usually invest, due to the sub-race. But I'm sure that this isn't just an problem for a wizard, as I think that it would be better for all classes, to receive these sub-race skill advantages as stackable bonuses.

Last edited by Ramana Jala on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:36 pm

I could be wrong, but I think bonus points from feats are exempt from the +50 cap.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:33 pm

That would be sweet, to get those bonuses from Epic Skill Focus type of feat, if it's true that skills from feats aren't subject to the cap.

I researched briefly to see if I could verify this, but couldn't, so I'm thinking that this is probably something that only looking at the code would tell.

Maybe The Amethyst Dragon might know?
Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down