Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Journal/Quest Stuff

3 posters

Go down

New Journal/Quest Stuff Empty New Journal/Quest Stuff

Post by RustyDios Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:01 am

Hail...

The Amethyst Dragon wrote: (in the public to do list)
Rewrite quest system (in progress)
- recode quest system to reduce scripting and provide for easier expansion
- - declutter journal by removing quests, moving information to new VC functions
- - - ;;quest status (current quest/job title and description)
- - - ;;quest list (all job titles: current, finished, and abandoned, with status)
- fix existing quests
- add new quests/jobs
- make improvements for easier quest additions
- make data more secure by storing quest statuses on PC database item
- VC command system functions
- - start, abandon, status, list

Does this mean that actual journal entries will be gone forever ?... So the only purpose of the actual journal is for self-made journal entries (ie, the last tab) ?.... Will it be possible to keep the use of the standard journal ?

In the new VC system will the "status" command bring up a "description window" similar (in appearance at least) to how ;;w & ;;t are displayed .... with the current quest status, and "previous" entries ?

Will players only be able to do "one" quest at a time ?.. ie, current quest status !?

What constitutes "Abandoning" a quest ?... Is that a player-made choice ?... Can it be took-back ?

Sorry to fire off a load of questions about something that's not in yet, but I was just wondering about this when I read it ....
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2271
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
. : New Journal/Quest Stuff Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

New Journal/Quest Stuff Empty Re: New Journal/Quest Stuff

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:25 pm

Does this mean that actual journal entries will be gone forever ?... So the only purpose of the actual journal is for self-made journal entries (ie, the last tab) ?.... Will it be possible to keep the use of the standard journal ?

I was planning on making it so that journal entries for finished quests would be removed. I can make it an option to keep the journal entries, if you like.

In the new VC system will the "status" command bring up a "description window" similar (in appearance at least) to how
;;w & ;;t are displayed .... with the current quest status, and "previous" entries ?

Yes, that's what I am planning. Well, the "status" command would bring up information on the current quest, but not previous ones. Those would be listed with the "list" command, in such a description window.

Will players only be able to do "one" quest at a time ?.. ie, current quest status !?

Pretty much, yes. I'm working on setting up two categories of quests: "quests" and "jobs". A character would take on one at a time. Quests will be more "serious" (along the lines of "save the girl" or "find the king's stolen crown") and result in things like more xp and a possible alignment shift, while jobs will be more "casual" (along the lines of "here's a pretty simple task, I'll pay you some gold to do it for me") and tend to give more gold. Quests would be strictly one-time. Some (but not all) jobs would be repeatable.

Basically, a quest or job is a "current goal" that character is working toward.

What constitutes "Abandoning" a quest ?... Is that a player-made choice ?... Can it be took-back ?

Abandoning a quest would be strictly a player choice. Once abandoned, it would not be able to be restarted (you've given up on saving the girl to go help someone else? ummm....she got eaten by that dragon that took her). Abandoning a job is also iffy, as someone likely wouldn't want to rehire you, after you quit before you finished what you said you'd do.

I do not plan on implementing actual time-limited quests/jobs. I know real life can interrupt (it does for me quite often) and it would suck to not be able to finish a quest just because your kid needed attention and you had to log off for a while.

A "quest giver" will not keep you from starting a quest if you pass it up initially. For example, if you're don't initially help out the farmer with the sick wife (and don't tell him you'll help (start the quest)), you can go talk to him again later to start that one.

Once I get the new system written and implemented, it'll make it much easier for me to add new quests and jobs, so there will be more variety to help keep a character busy. Feel free to add input along the way.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:53 pm

I know I'd like to be able to keep finished quest entries as a way of having a diary ,of sorts, of things my PC's have done/completed/achieved with their careers .... however, it seems as though the list would cover this function... maybe it could be an extra thing... the list would display just the quest/job heading/title then an option to select the quest (;;jor x) then bring up the relevant information for that particular quest/job.. or is that the idea ...

Liking everything else though ....
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2271
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:06 am

Nice idea, thanks.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Elhanan Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:12 am

As one with a disability, I would like to keep the Journal as it far easier to read than trying to type for the VC commands; vote cast for the option idea.
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1781
Main Character : Aargyle McJagger
Other Character : Barnabas Bottlebottom
Other Character. : Aarn, Aerik McJagger
Other Character.. : Azar; Briar Ironwood
NWN Username : Elhanan the Ancient One
Time Zone : Central USA