Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GUI Override question

5 posters

Go down

GUI Override question Empty GUI Override question

Post by Ramana Jala Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:12 am

I really like the transparency of the GUI override in the game, but before the game in the pre-game selection button screens, it is very hard to read the buttons whose labels are over the still-visible button labels underneath. And I've had some issues recently with my program crashing during the pre-game splash screens and cinematic. So I'm going to take the GUI override out, and see if that makes any difference.

But my question is, can I just put part of the override back in, the part that is seen in the in-game control panel? That part is very handy, to see the landscape behind the GUI panel. I looked through the files in the override, and it wasn't entirely obvious which files are for the pre-game screens and which files are for the in-game screens. I made my best guesstimate and tried by trial and error taking some out, but it got confusing.

Would it be possible for you tell me which files are just used pre-game, so I can exclude them? I know there's a lot of files there, but upon the chance that maybe it's only a handful of files that are for the pre-game screens, it might be possible for you to list just the pre-game screens image files.

Thanks!
Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Female Number of posts : 1050
Main Character : Ramana Domefarar -
Publicly a Ranger, privately an Opportunist.
Lay Follower of Jewel,
Sensate and practitioner of the Way of Pleasure.

Other Character : Ranara Duauth -
A being created by shadow and water, a wizard.
Is actually another persona of Ramana.

Other Character. : Dae, the panther,
companion to both Ramana and Ranara,
and the best real eye-witness to the
strange circumstance of those alternating personae.

Other Character.. : The Personae of Ramana Jala
NWN Username : Ramana Jala
Time Zone : US Eastern Time
Registration date : 2011-08-29

Back to top Go down

GUI Override question Empty Re: GUI Override question

Post by daveyeisley Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:29 pm

I have the full GUI transparency installed, and i dont have the issue you are speaking of. Would it be possible for you to post a sceenshot of what it looks like for you? I dont think it is showing on your machine the way it is supposed to.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : GUI Override question Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:37 pm

After not working on the GUI for several years, I couldn't tell you which files control exactly which parts of the GUI. For the most part, the naming conventions of some of the files is kind of confusing, if I recall correctly.

Yes, you can put just part of the GUI override back in, if you like. It is all just simple image files that replace ones of the same exact name and type in the default game resources.

I do remember my work on the set being largely trial and error to figure out which file does what part. Unfortunately, that's pretty much the only way to figure out what you'd need, since there's no documentation on the files (that I've found anywhere online).

The game crashing shouldn't have anything to do with the GUI override, as they are simple graphics files that just replace existing ones. Has anything else been changed recently with your computer?
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:05 pm

You can also disable the pre-game cinematics through one of the ini files (nwn.ini or nwnplayer.ini, I forget which one exactly. You can find this info on the nwnwiki however).
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:40 pm

In the NWN directory find the file "nwn.ini"

Make sure the display options section has a line like this:

[Display Options]
Disable Intro Movies=1
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : GUI Override question Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:08 pm

Or just remove them from the movies folder. That works for me.
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 4112
Main Character : The Vault of Atrophy
NWN Username : atrophied_eric
DM Name : Dungeon Mistress Anaurra Lide
Time Zone : GMT - 10:00 EST (We have our own time zone!)
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Eric_of_Atrophy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:34 am

Thanks for the knowledge!

About the movie, I had just always clicked through it, but yeah, maybe setting it to not play might help. Thanks for looking up the nwn.ini tweak for me, I'll use it.

And I would give a screenie but I've already pulled out the override. When I have time to deal with it again, I'll probably send you one so you can see how the labels on the buttons are just all confusingly simultaneously visible, no matter what layer they are on.

So I guess I'll have to trial-and-error the partial installation of the GUI override. I had done some of that recently, but found that I really couldn't easily identify the many of the images. For example, I was looking for the login screen image with two narrow fields and one large field, or the button pages, and they didn't seem to be in the image files in the same configuration.

As to the crashing, it seems to have abated since I pulled out the GUI override. Nothing had changed on my XP system except installing the Aenea files. But in the past, sometimes when I clicked past all the intro splash screens too rapidly, it had crashed. It might just be that one Aenea purple dragon credit screen that's giving it pause. And perhaps installing your instant loader might help. I have Clobber installed for my Thain PW login, and it skips all the intro screens, and so the potential of that problem. I think I saw that you offer a similar utility, or I could configure a Clobber shortcut for this one.

I'll probably get back to this when I have more time, my sales season means that my time is severely budgeted. Please don't let my two posts on issues lead you to believe I'm overly frustrated being here, it's just the squeaky wheels that one confronts when one gets involved with new softwares. On the contrary, I've been really superly enjoying playing here, and have my character's complex personality and history CV, and IC posts for Living Ramana's Life, constantly percolating in my mind that I want to get up here, when I have the time. Your world has captured my imagination for being the perfect setting to play out the episode of a unique era in the story my character's life. Many thanks for the interesting world, and I hope to interact with more of you lovely players, come my winter slowdown. In the meantime, you'll see me pop in for a few stolen minutes now and then.
Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Female Number of posts : 1050
Main Character : Ramana Domefarar -
Publicly a Ranger, privately an Opportunist.
Lay Follower of Jewel,
Sensate and practitioner of the Way of Pleasure.

Other Character : Ranara Duauth -
A being created by shadow and water, a wizard.
Is actually another persona of Ramana.

Other Character. : Dae, the panther,
companion to both Ramana and Ranara,
and the best real eye-witness to the
strange circumstance of those alternating personae.

Other Character.. : The Personae of Ramana Jala
NWN Username : Ramana Jala
Time Zone : US Eastern Time
Registration date : 2011-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:08 pm

True that! We're glad you're happy here, Ramana Jala! It is a truly great place to spend your time!
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 4112
Main Character : The Vault of Atrophy
NWN Username : atrophied_eric
DM Name : Dungeon Mistress Anaurra Lide
Time Zone : GMT - 10:00 EST (We have our own time zone!)
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Eric_of_Atrophy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down