Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Partially Used: Epic Spells

+2
The Amethyst Dragon
daveyeisley
6 posters

Go down

Partially Used: Epic Spells Empty Partially Used: Epic Spells

Post by daveyeisley Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:08 am

So... it seems like, to me, that each class, once they go Epic levels, has access to some pretty sweet epic feats and such.

Most classes have unlimited, or many usages of these feats each day.

Wizards and Sorcerors, for some reason, only get a single use per day of their big, special reward for being epic. Considering in PnP epic spells only require a single feat to gain access, and can be cast multiple times each up to a limit of total epic spells per day equal to your relevant knowledge ability divided by 10, this just doesnt seem right to me.

In the OC is isnt too bad simple because of how easy it is to rest anywhere. In aenea, this is not the case... nor would I want it to be easier to rest here... the rest system, while it takes some getting used to, is part of the foundation of this world that makes it so immersive and challenging.

Still, if my character invested in the feat for *each* spell, could I maybe at least get 2 uses/day each?
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : Partially Used: Epic Spells Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Partially Used: Epic Spells Empty Re: Partially Used: Epic Spells

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:13 am

Not a bad idea. I'll have to look into if this is possible.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:56 am

Aftyer thinking about this a little more... Im wondering if those epic spell scripts can actually be tied to a pool of uses/day much like undead turning/divine might/divine shiled are.

The pool of usages per day should probably be more than, in the case of wizards and sorcerors, knowledge arcana/10... as these characters had to invest separate feats in each spell.

knowledge arcana/4 seems a little more in line to me, as it would max out at 10 uses at level 40... but still allow you to use the epic spell you need for a given situation more than just a single time.

if the "pool" idea is not doable, then maybe 3 uses/day would be better... i would be happy to get 2, because thats better than 1.... but 3 would seem like a more worthwhile return for investing those feats... because most of the epic spells just arent that superior to 9th level spells.... they are... but not really by much.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:38 am

I'm not sure how the new uses of the epic spells are working out, if the changes that were suggested and made on a different thread (that I can't find) are better or not... I think it was an increase in usage limit....

However I came across this little package not long ago on the vault, it has a good demo included, looks the part for complex epic spells.. would satisfy the "only these per day", seems to conform to the Epic level handbook for epic spells, has a great variety of spells and would mean epic wizards.sorcerous would have to spend time and effort to get thier epic spells.... we even have labs already in aenea that could double-up for epic spell research points.... the system did look a little over-complex and could possibly be streamlined but that's way outside of my scope... ...

Anyway, a possible suggestion for an improved PnP Epic Spell system:

Epic Spell System v2
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2271
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by RayvenNightkind Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:18 pm

That looks nifty Rusty, nifty indeed!
RayvenNightkind
RayvenNightkind
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1119
Main Character : Sir Rayvensclaw Nightkind Leader of the Clan of Night
Paladin/Champion of Dalix/Wizard
NWN Username : Rayven Nightkind
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00
Registration date : 2008-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:11 pm

checkin it out right now, thanks rusty Smile

The Amethyst Dragon did give us 2/day on the epic attack spells which has been a nice improvement, but if this seems better, I will definitely post again saying so!
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by evilkittenofdoom Sun May 16, 2010 9:30 pm

Since epic spells were brought up again, I'm gonna make a few suggestions to our current epic spells that are available. these spells are starting to lose their 'epicness' as it were...

Greater Ruin -
Spoiler:

Hellball -
Spoiler:

Dragon Knight -
Spoiler:
Mummy Dust -
Spoiler:

Epic Warding -
Spoiler:

Epic Mage Armor is the ONLY epic spell I say is good as it is... I mean a +20 Armor modifier is unbeatable and is just that awesome.
evilkittenofdoom
evilkittenofdoom
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1217
Main Character : Aseph, the NOT old sorcerer
Other Character : Analo, professional Dracolich (and other undead) hunter
Other Character. : Sivoran, the PC Demilich
Other Character.. : Imyna, Drow Priestess of Sorgath
NWN Username : evilkittenofdoom
Time Zone : EST (GMT-5)
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Sun May 16, 2010 9:53 pm

On the two summoning ones. Don't think dragonknight's been changed, in which case it's duration is 20 rounds flat already as per PnP. Not sure how effective it is though because I just don't bother with it... the 20 round duration is just not appealing

Mummy dust, the mummy does have a feat aura that's not too shabby actually. It's duration is 24 game hours as per most other summons. What might be neat is if the spell was more like PnP in that it summoned two mummies. PnP has it summon two 18HD mummies, NWN's version has one 19 HD mummy. The nice thing about the NWN one is it weilds weapons that you can buff up, while if I recall correctly, the PnP versions were unarmed (But delt out supernatural disease on their hits)

Greater ruin... PnP had it disintegrate a target if the spell damaged them to -10 hp or less (or 0 HP for constructs and undead). Effectively for NWN, monsters at 0 HP are done with anyway, so a distinction between "dead by just being dead" and "dead by disintegration" is rather moot.... but how about if the target was at 10 HP or less after being it, it'd suffer the disitegrate effect (and 20 HP for constructs/undead). It'll make greater ruin a cause for worry just like powerword kill in that regards.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by evilkittenofdoom Sun May 16, 2010 10:36 pm

Greater Ruin - Ok, a good point, but 10HP? If you weaken something to less than 50 they're probably dead shortly. Power Word Kill eats people with 100 or less (direct target) or 20 or less (AoE, 200HP max) Seeing as power word kill is 100 or less (single target, like Greater Ruin), how about we put the HP left=instant kill there for Greater Ruin? And as a way to scale that effect so that you don't get a near guaranteed instant death spell at low levels, scale the damage to be 3d6/2 character level. (making it end up as 60d6)

With dragon knight, I didn't realize the duration was that short already. Even so, 20 rounds of having an invincible powerhouse/tank would make the feat a lot more worthwhile IMHO.

Mummy Dust.... Even having 2 doesn't solve the issue of them dying so freaking fast at upper-epic levels (33 or so upward) I also didn't know they got a fear aura. Still, my point here isn't what they have but rather what they shoud have to make them better (as far as I'm concerned). AC/Damage/AB/DR increases would handle that very nicely and make the feat useful again. Even moreso if it gets a few Harm(Self) spells to add to the mix. I'd shy away from weapons, ONLY because of the many weapon buffs out there... but a few nice onhit:x abilities would be pretty cool. (Wounding, Daze, Stun or Confusion would be neat, but really anything that makes them hit harder without using a weapon and being unable to weapon buff at that point)
evilkittenofdoom
evilkittenofdoom
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1217
Main Character : Aseph, the NOT old sorcerer
Other Character : Analo, professional Dracolich (and other undead) hunter
Other Character. : Sivoran, the PC Demilich
Other Character.. : Imyna, Drow Priestess of Sorgath
NWN Username : evilkittenofdoom
Time Zone : EST (GMT-5)
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:47 am

Looks like the epic magic overhaul is already underway.... so.... locky locky?
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down