Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Partially Used: Number of epic pc's vs. number of epic encounters

+3
RustyDios
daveyeisley
RayvenNightkind
7 posters

Go down

Partially Used: Number of epic pc's vs. number of epic encounters Empty Partially Used: Number of epic pc's vs. number of epic encounters

Post by RayvenNightkind Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:02 pm

This is a idea that was spawned from another thread. As more people begin playing in Aenea there are more and more epic characters in the world. Maybe to help alleviate some of the farming and other issuses some more epic encounters could be added? A level 20 - 40 pc can only smack on goblins, trolls, beholders and orcs at 4 xp or so for so long before they begin to lose thier appeal. Just a thought. Cool

Last edited by RayvenNightkind on Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
RayvenNightkind
RayvenNightkind
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1119
Main Character : Sir Rayvensclaw Nightkind Leader of the Clan of Night
Paladin/Champion of Dalix/Wizard
NWN Username : Rayven Nightkind
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00
Registration date : 2008-09-04

Back to top Go down

Partially Used: Number of epic pc's vs. number of epic encounters Empty Re: Partially Used: Number of epic pc's vs. number of epic encounters

Post by daveyeisley Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:50 pm

100% agree. I already crafted some high level NPCs in the toolset, been playing around with it a bit... when I have a better idea of how to incorporate them, i will send them to The Amethyst Dragon.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : Partially Used: Number of epic pc's vs. number of epic encounters Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Partially Used: Number of epic pc's vs. number of epic encounters Empty Re: Partially Used: Number of epic pc's vs. number of epic encounters

Post by RustyDios Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:06 pm

Yeah agreed too..... some Epic level area's would be nice.... similar in how the searing sands only allows those of 15th+ past the transition... ...

Once you get to around lv 25, everything but the "bosses" starts to give out 4-10 xp.... now at lower levels this isn't a problem, but at higher levels when you need around 30 000 to level... it just gets a bit tedious... oh and there will be that odd death from a rolled 1, that sets you back 3000xp( or around a weeks worth of adventuring, killing things at 4xp per kill).....
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2271
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
. : Partially Used: Number of epic pc's vs. number of epic encounters Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Kefrem Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:39 pm

i think just piling in some new boss mobs wont add any more *fun* factor and alleviate the tedium. It will just end up like eq where pc's camp the mobs for rinse repeat factor then it becomes competition on who gets there first.

What i saw on another server long ago was a quest...repeatable...but required a long drawn out random type thing...it would ask for a collection of items in random amounts..and the player needed to collect them. It was designed for high level pc's and required fighting beasties there level...but the beasties were randomly selected from a variety.

At the end of the quest they got a bonus xp for completion and...they got xp from the mobs they killed. Noone had to compete cause each persons quest was a set amount of blah blah and only very rarely did thier quests match.

This requires a bit of scripting...but negated the needed for HUGE mobs to kill and added a bit of randomness to it all to alleviate the boredom. This also leaves some realism to the server. There arent 53 different epic mobs all trying to conquer the lands. Razz
Kefrem
Kefrem
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Male Number of posts : 755
Main Character : Ignatius and Sykee
Other Character : Shi'ssar
Other Character. : Spyder
Other Character.. : Tarn
NWN Username : Kefremthemagus
Registration date : 2008-10-06

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/costume.php?mode=view&c=688&bu=

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:22 am

I like the idea of Kef's suggestion..... Aenea already has a "zoo"... what it needs in a vast open "safari"... the encounters all high level monsters, all chucked into the same pot... so any particular spawn could have a beholder, a venerator, and a draco-lich... whilst we all have tactics for dealing with these in their current single-type mob's..... a mixed race group?... Yeah that sounds good... it'll be like a "box o chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get"... .. ... and then scattered over the safari are items to collect/ points to reach... , to "hand in for xp" on your exit ... an ideal location in Aenea sounds down towards the "Wildlands" area..... ...
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2271
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:30 am

I am liking the idea... it has potential... but I think there may be good ways to modify it slightly to make it better.... but its awesome to even get the ball rolling on this topic.

I love the Great Evil quest. It is awesome.

I think it would rock to have a sort of similar, but random "go out and find these various items" quest that would pit the PC against epic level enemies and award a bonus for collecting the items needed.

It might might require a items from various areas, and there might need to be a significant amount of combat.... but with an end goal other than XP, it relieves the tedium a bit.

I still think we need to add a bunch of epic level enemies. I think they should be scattered and placed in placed where lower level characters are not likely to go.... but we do need more of them.

Still, I agree that rather than just throwing them in to be farmed, we should have some rhyme and reason to their presence and some repatedable and varied way of determining when a PC would want to go after them.
Maybe even make the new areas that contain them accessible only to PCs who are on the quest. Like have the quest giver spawn a "key" item for the PC and without the "key" you cant get to the enemies.

Maybe even make it so that there are different keys for different areas, and you only get the keys you need, so you cant go after the enemies you dont need for your quest.

I like the idea of a planeswalking type of deal for this.... outsiders, demons, angels, aberrations, all sorts of crap. Lot of work to put together, though.....
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:38 pm

I'm working an adding several areas of The Abyss. Once they're ready to go, I'll give the key to get there to a bad guy somewhere in Aenea proper.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramir Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:47 am

Do you need to 'protect' areas from lower level characters?

It kind of makes it more 'real' if you know that exploring areas off the track a little, or areas that are renowned as dangerous, then there is a good chance that something bigger than you will have you for lunch. A good reason to exersise caution.
If something is required perhaps the old 'If you enter here I will eat you' sign would suffice.
No need to protect people from their selves.
Ramir
Ramir
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Male Number of posts : 111
Main Character : Val'Hain
NWN Username : Ramir Thel
Time Zone : GMT + 10
Registration date : 2008-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by inthecorridors Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:44 am

Miow says: The Abyss? How interesting! I've never been there! A key, you say? I wonder if a gnome could just pick the lock to find her way into the Abyss... I bet she'd be the first if she did! Oh, I'd be so famous... I'd better practice and get ready!
inthecorridors
inthecorridors
Worldly Guide
Worldly Guide

Female Number of posts : 237
Main Character : Miow non Fharfegtuben
Other Character : Takara Ankara Harom
Other Character. : Aella Risingstorm
NWN Username : inthecorridors
Time Zone : GMT-5
Registration date : 2009-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down