Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is Reincarnation and Ascension? How do they work?

+4
Micteu
RustyDios
The Amethyst Dragon
daveyeisley
8 posters

Go down

What is Reincarnation and Ascension? How do they work? Empty What is Reincarnation and Ascension? How do they work?

Post by daveyeisley Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:10 pm

Basics of Reincarnation and Ascension:

This addition is a way for your character to be "reborn", giving up all money, items, levels, etc. in return for the chance to basically start over at low level with some nice bonuses and abilities. It is only available for level 40 characters. Reincarnation is first. Ascension is basically the same thing, only it's only open for level 40 characters that have already reincarnated once.

Reincarnation:

- For level 40 characters only
- Give up basically everything gained for a restart with some bonuses.
- Restart at 1st level with 6,000 XP and 2,000 gp
- Get skill (+5) and save bonuses (+1), plus scaling spell resistance (1/level if no subrace SR)
- Get regeneration (1/round)
- Subrace changes to "Reincarnated X", but old subrace stats remain.
- New feats added at 1st level just for the Reincarnated
- - - Gift of Flight (fly like a winged being for 3 hp/flight)
- - - Gift of Travel (teleport 2/day)
- - - Gift of Time (a semi-timestop in an area for 1d6 rounds 1/day...enemies get a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 reincarnated's new levels) but no immunity/spell resistance)

Custom reward items: destroyed during the process, but you can use the Player Select Tool (on your class radial) on one item you wish to keep and then enter the vc command ;;tool itemstore to save the item. Once you have completed your reincarnation or ascension, you may use the vc command ;;tool itemrestore to get the saved item back. If you have more than one custom item or other heavily upgraded item, you may need to contact a DM to request additional help before reincarnating or ascending.

Ascension:

- For level 40 reincarnated characters only
- Subrace changes to "Ascended X", still retain original subrace changes
- The same as reincarnation, but also you also gain:
- - - immunity to death magic, disease, poison, and critical hits
- - - fire/cold resistance 10
- - - skill bonuses increase to +10, save bonus increases to +3
- - - access to the "levitate" combat style normally given only to epic Wiz/Sor

Custom reward items: destroyed during the process, but you can use the Player Select Tool (on your class radial) on one item you wish to keep and then enter the vc command ;;tool itemstore to save the item. Once you have completed your reincarnation or ascension, you may use the vc command ;;tool itemrestore to get the saved item back. If you have more than one custom item or other heavily upgraded item, you may need to contact a DM to request additional help before reincarnating or ascending.

If you are are a level 40 character that wants to reincarnate, you can borrow a boat in Watertown to sail to the middle of the Lake of Mists.

Regarding ability and stat increases from Ability Tomes [very rare] and Lady Shea's XP store [level 40 PCs only]

Stat increases from the XP store as well as ability tomes are applied to your characters base stats via Letoscript, and thus they are permanent unless removed via letoscript.

At this time I do not believe there is anything in the reincarnation, ascension or re-level scripts that will lower any of your base stats unless you have levels of Red Dragon Disciple, Dragonsoul, or Warhulk - and even in these cases only the stat increases specific to the levels gained in the prestige class or semi-class are removed, nothing else.

Just to be on the safe side, before you reincarnate or ascend, please do the following:

1. Turn off all your ioun stones (except for the sustenance/no food needed one)
2. Make sure you are indoors to avoid weather penalties
2. Remove all your gear including any VFX headwear
3. Rest to remove any temporary magical effects - be sure you do not eat any food that grants bonuses - basic oatmeal (such as from Murylund's Utensils) should suffice, or a ring or ioun stone of sustenance.
4. Log out and then log back in again.
5. Take a screenshot of your in-game character sheet statistics page
6. Take a screenshot of your character sheet feats page (specifically any epic feats that increase stats, such as Great Strength or Dex, etc)

Be sure that all your class levels are visible in the character sheet - If any classes are not visible in the window, then use the ;;info levels command and be sure both the character sheet and the levels window are clearly visible in the screenshot.

This way, after you take the plunge and reincarnate or ascend, if anything is missing more than your levelup ability increases, we can do the math appropriately and get you fixed.

For more information check out:

This link to the original thread on this topic in the Recent or Upcoming Changes forum.

This link to a thread on the FAQ forums about how Custom Items and Vouchers are handled with regards to Reincarnation and Ascension.

Last edited by daveyeisley on Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:40 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Stickification)
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : What is Reincarnation and Ascension? How do they work? Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

What is Reincarnation and Ascension? How do they work? Empty Re: What is Reincarnation and Ascension? How do they work?

Post by daveyeisley Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:11 pm

Requesting a sticky - or feedback on how to improve the post in order to make it sticky-worthy
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

What is Reincarnation and Ascension? How do they work? Empty Re: What is Reincarnation and Ascension? How do they work?

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:19 pm

It's sticky-worthy already. Thanks for posting this in such a concise and legible format, Dave.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:37 am

Is the custom reward timer still reset ?... I partially recall this being changed so that it wasn't reset ?

Are all three "Gift" feats fully functional now ? I know there were problems with the Teleport and Time functions ? If so I think the known bugs should be mentioned...

I think mention of the ;;tool itemstore and ;;tool itemrestore should be included as it was introduced so a PC can retain 1 item through re-incarnation and ascension (I may have got the VC commands slightly incorrect, been a while since I used either)....

Otherwise, great post Dave to include the information so readily available without having to trawl the forums threads...
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2271
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:02 pm

It mentions in this post * (just above the title break for tips for re-incarnation/ ascension prep) that one wishing to do either can " borrow a boat in Watertown to sail to the middle of the Lake of Mists."

I believe this is also now incorrect, the boat"has been replaced by a swirling misty crystal teleportation orb... ...

*and on the website in the Athenaeum in roughly the same spot...
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2271
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Micteu Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:05 pm

daveyeisley wrote:Custom reward items: destroyed during the process, but a second "timer" starts over with 8 hours right at reincarnation to earn new rewards.
daveyeisley wrote:Custom reward items: destroyed during the process, but a second "timer" starts over with 8 hours right at ascension to earn new rewards.

Is this still true? Or is the following how it is now?

RustyDios wrote:From https://aenea.aforumfree.com/t3113-reincarnation-ascension-custom-vouchers
What *should* be happening now from my understanding is your clock should NOT get reset, and you can use the vc command pc tool saveitem to keep ONE of your custom items for instant retrieval upon re-incarnation/ascention .... you will loose all other items...
Micteu
Micteu
Prolific Scribe
Prolific Scribe

Male Number of posts : 50
Main Character : Don Enders
Other Character : Mack Gardenkin
Other Character. : Alan Milne
NWN Username : Micteu
Time Zone : GMT - 6
Registration date : 2013-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:21 am

I'd like to know for sure myself, because I've been told that there is only one set of reward vouchers per character and that these rewards are dependent entirely on time-played with that character and totally independent of Reincarnation and Ascension and character level.

That the timer is not reset with Reincarnation or Ascension, because if you happen to level within a really short time and then reincarnate, then you will have received a voucher or two for your time played thus far, but more will keep coming when you play more hours.

Thus the logical conclusion is that if you power-level to 40 really fast, you will still have time-played reward vouchers coming after Reincarnation, and will have to potentially lose only the ones you've already claimed.

Except for the save-one-item feature, of course (which would make one tend to plan to use all vouchers received before Reincarnation for just one item, if possible).

I'd like to know if all this is actually correct.
Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Female Number of posts : 1050
Main Character : Ramana Domefarar -
Publicly a Ranger, privately an Opportunist.
Lay Follower of Jewel,
Sensate and practitioner of the Way of Pleasure.

Other Character : Ranara Duauth -
A being created by shadow and water, a wizard.
Is actually another persona of Ramana.

Other Character. : Dae, the panther,
companion to both Ramana and Ranara,
and the best real eye-witness to the
strange circumstance of those alternating personae.

Other Character.. : The Personae of Ramana Jala
NWN Username : Ramana Jala
Time Zone : US Eastern Time
Registration date : 2011-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by odbo255 Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:25 am

To further complicate things I'm pretty sure there exists a gap between what is intended behavior (which is the info that is published) versus actual current behavior.
odbo255
odbo255
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Male Number of posts : 459
Main Character : Fren Hilg
Other Character : Isk Mool
Other Character: Remi Ferrand
NWN Username : odbo255
DM Name : Dungeon Master Beowulf
Time Zone : PT
Registration date : 2012-06-22

http://member.acm.org/~jtwburton

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:48 am

Ramana Jala wrote:
I'd like to know if all this is actually correct.

The Amethyst Dragon, I suppose you're the only one who can determinately answer this.
Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

Back to top Go down

Post by Micteu Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:04 am

Micteu wrote:
daveyeisley wrote:Custom reward items: destroyed during the process, but a second "timer" starts over with 8 hours right at reincarnation to earn new rewards.
daveyeisley wrote:Custom reward items: destroyed during the process, but a second "timer" starts over with 8 hours right at ascension to earn new rewards.

Is this still true? Or is the following how it is now?

RustyDios wrote:From https://aenea.aforumfree.com/t3113-reincarnation-ascension-custom-vouchers
What *should* be happening now from my understanding is your clock should NOT get reset, and you can use the vc command pc tool saveitem to keep ONE of your custom items for instant retrieval upon re-incarnation/ascention .... you will loose all other items...

I just tested. The timer remains intact. As does Karma, piety, quest status, Arkon's gold, Arkon's experience, ethereal chest contents, and the record of which areas you've explored (along with whether you picked up certain one-time only items or not).

Last edited by Micteu on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Micteu
Micteu
Prolific Scribe
Prolific Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:05 am

Thanks for the empirical info!

You seem to be confirming what I related above that I'd been told in the past few months, that the reward timer continues independent of level and reincarnation and ascension, and does not restart.

As a confirmation, would you would please let us know if you get the next reward appropriate to the next step of your character's hours played?
Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:20 pm

I have, on several PCs
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Micteu Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:35 pm

Is there a way to get another Amulet of the Wanderer after reincarnating? Also, how is the Gift of Travel (teleport 2x/day) activated?
Micteu
Micteu
Prolific Scribe
Prolific Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:28 pm

Yes, your quest journal should clear and you do the amulet routine all over again.

The gift of travel... I would assume it activates just like the GIft of Flight. Hotkey the feat to your quickslot, and activate it just like any other action feat.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Micteu Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:53 pm

Quest status remained intact upon reincarnation. I scoured my radial menu and could find neither Gift of Travel nor Gift of Time, although the Fly option is present just like it was preincarnation. It also works correctly with the 3 hp per use.
Micteu
Micteu
Prolific Scribe
Prolific Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:28 pm

I'd suggest trying to go get another Wanderer's Amulet from that temple out in the Trackless Expanse. Maybe it will let you have another.

Otherwise you'll have to get one from a DM, I suppose. Although that seems like it makes no sense, and in that case the Reincarnation script might should be tweaked to reset the fulfillment of that particular quest.
Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

Back to top Go down

Post by Micteu Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:54 pm

Ramana Jala wrote:I'd suggest trying to go get another Wanderer's Amulet from that temple out in the Trackless Expanse. Maybe it will let you have another.

Otherwise you'll have to get one from a DM, I suppose. Although that seems like it makes no sense, and in that case the Reincarnation script might should be tweaked to reset the fulfillment of that particular quest.

It'll have to be a DM, then. The priestess there just said "Welcome back, Wanderer."
Micteu
Micteu
Prolific Scribe
Prolific Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:32 pm

The Quest system has undergone a lot of revision in the past few months, I believe, and so the effect of Reincarnation and Ascension as pertains to a rare quest that one should be allowed to redo may not have been fully addressed. I would suggest posting a note about this in the Bug reports.
Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

Back to top Go down

Post by Micteu Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:17 pm

Ramana Jala wrote:The Quest system has undergone a lot of revision in the past few months, I believe, and so the effect of Reincarnation and Ascension as pertains to a rare quest that one should be allowed to redo may not have been fully addressed. I would suggest posting a note about this in the Bug reports.
Done. And now I can stop filling this info thread with bug reports.
Micteu
Micteu
Prolific Scribe
Prolific Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by Lasombra Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:53 am

Just to clarify: is there no way to keep vouchers other than merging all of them into one item and keeping it via the command?

That would make for a major disadvantage to getting vouchers before ascension, possibly encouraging power-leveling.
Lasombra
Lasombra
Worldly Guide
Worldly Guide

Male Number of posts : 249
Main Character : Amaterasu
Other Character : Shannon Elish
Other Character. : Leah Aestris
Other Character.. : Peoth
Time Zone : GMT +2:00
Registration date : 2010-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:19 am

If you can get a DM, one of us will be nice and hold your reward items/vouchers (but not other items or gold) for you while you reincarnate/ascend.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:31 am

Thank you for alleviating that concern, The Amethyst Dragon ! Very Happy
Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down