Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not Used: Possessing multiple contracts of translocation

4 posters

Go down

Not Used: Possessing multiple contracts of translocation Empty Not Used: Possessing multiple contracts of translocation

Post by odbo255 Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:28 am

Having a PC that has relatively little magic casting abilities I find the in game items that provide teleportation functionality essential. I was excited when I got my "first" (ok, only - that's my suggestion) contract of translocation. A world of possibilities opened up for the character when I (wrongly) believed she could posses more than one contract.

I imagined a half dozen contracts in her possession with one pointing to a location near an altar, each contract still only be usable "once" (ok, technically twice) - when she would translocate she would use an unused contract and bind to the new location so she wouldn't lose access to the location (it would just now be on a different contract). When she exhausted her contract supply she would visit an altar and recharge her "spares" and be ready to continue on her way.

I attempted to purchase an additional contract for three RL days assuming it must be a limited merchant resource and only restocked with reset. Thankfully a *most* veteran player set me straight on the limitations of the contract.

My suggestion is to:

1) Make it possible to possess multiple contracts

failing that

2) Make it clear in game that you can only possess a single contract, perhaps in conversation when buying, or attempting to rebuy a contract.
odbo255
odbo255
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 459
Main Character : Fren Hilg
Other Character : Isk Mool
Other Character: Remi Ferrand
NWN Username : odbo255
DM Name : Dungeon Master Beowulf
Time Zone : PT
. : Not Used: Possessing multiple contracts of translocation Forum_donor
Registration date : 2012-06-22

http://member.acm.org/~jtwburton

Back to top Go down

Not Used: Possessing multiple contracts of translocation Empty Re: Not Used: Possessing multiple contracts of translocation

Post by daveyeisley Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:25 pm

I love Aenea's teleportation. So much that I have built PCs with using it as a main facet of their build.

The Wanderer's portals are nice, and available to everyone who puts in the time and effort (and has the luck) to find the solution to using them, but they are still nowhere near as convenient as a regular teleport effect.

I know the idea is that we dont want every single PC, regardless of class or build, to be teleporting around Aenea willy-nilly with little effort or cost.

I, personally, simply value the fun and convenience of the ability far more highly than any rarity we might try to artificially enforce on it.

Due to the fact that contracts of translocation take up 2 inventory slots and cannot be stored in bags or other containers, I think allowing multiple would eventually cause inventory space contraints, which to my recollection of the very early days, is the exact reason we moved to the VC system for storing teleport points rather than the old 'gloves of teleportation'.

Perhaps we can introduce more versatility to the single contract limitation we have, by making a link/option that ties into the wanderer's portals and the VC teleport slots.

Right now, the contract can take you to any specific place you have visited and bound it to - one time.
The wanderer's portals can take you to any other wanderer's portal you have found - unlimited times.

My suggestion is to make it so that if you possess a contract of translocation that has not yet been depleted, you can then use a Wanderer's portal to travel to one of your tp slot locations by entering in a special code. This would not deplete the contract, but would erase any bind point that it may have had stored.

So, it wouldnt be as convenient as being able to travel to any tp spot and then use the contract to go right back to the altar for a recharge, but if you are near a wanderer's portal, you might have a lot more options for your destination (depending on what tp slots you have), and you could go recharge a depleted contract by using the portal to return to the Vale portal (which is very near the shrine with the altar).

daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Not Used: Possessing multiple contracts of translocation Empty Re: Not Used: Possessing multiple contracts of translocation

Post by daveyeisley Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:44 pm

Further idea:

It would be a pretty cool 'hook' to make learning to use the contract and portals in this way a srt of Gort-related quest.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:51 pm

Hmm ... dave's elaboration on the contract is a very interesting one ... I personally usually build most of my PCs with at least one level of rogue (UMD, baby!) simply because of the teleportation option ... this would open up new avenues of teleportation if the contract could in some way function with the tp slots ...
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 4112
Main Character : The Vault of Atrophy
NWN Username : atrophied_eric
DM Name : Dungeon Mistress Anaurra Lide
Time Zone : GMT - 10:00 EST (We have our own time zone!)
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Eric_of_Atrophy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:51 pm

daveyeisley wrote:Further idea:

It would be a pretty cool 'hook' to make learning to use the contract and portals in this way a srt of Gort-related quest.
True that! One can never have too many quests!
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 4112
Main Character : The Vault of Atrophy
NWN Username : atrophied_eric
DM Name : Dungeon Mistress Anaurra Lide
Time Zone : GMT - 10:00 EST (We have our own time zone!)
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Eric_of_Atrophy

Back to top Go down

Post by odbo255 Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:22 pm

Eric of Atrophy wrote:I personally usually build most of my PCs with at least one level of rogue (UMD, baby!) simply because of the teleportation option ... this would open up new avenues of teleportation if the contract could in some way function with the tp slots ...

I've been resisting giving Fren any UMD in an attempt to keep the PC "pure" but I think I'm fighting an uphill battle in the setting of Aenea. Smile

Time to pump 20 or so skill points into UMD I suppose.
odbo255
odbo255
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Male Number of posts : 459
Main Character : Fren Hilg
Other Character : Isk Mool
Other Character: Remi Ferrand
NWN Username : odbo255
DM Name : Dungeon Master Beowulf
Time Zone : PT
Registration date : 2012-06-22

http://member.acm.org/~jtwburton

Back to top Go down

Post by eeriegeek Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:31 pm

Also, don't forget that adding a few cast teleport uses/day to a custom item is fairly inexpensive.
eeriegeek
eeriegeek
Worldly Guide
Worldly Guide

Number of posts : 244
Main Character : Amaerillie
Other Character : K'az T'anii
Other Character. : Xephod
Other Character.. : Eg'bo
NWN Username : eeriegeek
Time Zone : GMT-4
Registration date : 2009-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down