Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spell Bug: Weird

+4
The Amethyst Dragon
Lasombra
MannyJabrielle
Angel of Death
8 posters

Go down

Spell Bug: Weird Empty Spell Bug: Weird

Post by Angel of Death Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:32 am

As in the spell, not in plain weird acting of a random spell Razz

As I can see, it does not got the right saves.

The only saves I have experienced it checking for is ...

> SR
> Death Magic Immunity (It shouldn't, but it does...even though Weird technically isn't death magic)

What it's supposed to have is, first a Will save vs Death, if the target fails, they die. If they succeed the will save, they should roll a Fort save vs death, again, if they fail, they die. If not, they've survived their inner-most fear!

As a sidenote: It used to be Party friendly, the default Bioware version was anyway. Now it isn't.
Angel of Death
Angel of Death
Epic Level
Epic Level

Number of posts : 1132
Main Character : Célestin Chevalier; Knight Champion of Dalix. Protector of the Innocent. Slayer of Evil.
Other Character : Angelique Nightstar; Arcane Archer.
Personal Quote: "The way of the bow is simplicity and beauty combined with power and discipline."
Other Character. : Bruce Li; Wanderer and Practitioner of the Dragon Paw Style. & Cherry; Starchild of Jewel n' Chancetaker of Lysis.
Other Character.. : Anna, Weaver of Illusions. - You can read about all of them following this link to their Biographies! =)
NWN Username : I await You in the End
Time Zone : Central European Timezone
Registration date : 2010-12-11

Back to top Go down

Spell Bug: Weird Empty Re: Spell Bug: Weird

Post by MannyJabrielle Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:52 am

(and it kinda stunk that we found that out after Aga's first casting of it... and I didn't want to kill you again so I couldn't use any more of my 9th level slots in the darkrealms until I redid the spellbook Razz)
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel of Death Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:19 pm

MannyJabrielle wrote:(and it kinda stunk that we found that out after Aga's first casting of it... and I didn't want to kill you again so I couldn't use any more of my 9th level slots in the darkrealms until I redid the spellbook Razz)
I actually knew of it already, but Anna, obviously, is much more well versed in the use of illusion spells than Agamemnon. Wink

But we both know the real reason; Aga totally killed her on purpose Evil or Very Mad , because he finally noticed the subtle woven epic spell she cast on him at the start of the journey. It didn't just grant a boost to AC...but also made him a magnet for Dark Realm penalties, sticking to him like glue, so Anna walks away scot-free. Twisted Evil Razz
Angel of Death
Angel of Death
Epic Level
Epic Level

Main Character : Célestin Chevalier; Knight Champion of Dalix. Protector of the Innocent. Slayer of Evil.
Personal Quote: "The way of the bow is simplicity and beauty combined with power and discipline."
Other Character. : Bruce Li; Wanderer and Practitioner of the Dragon Paw Style. & Cherry; Starchild of Jewel n' Chancetaker of Lysis.
Other Character.. : Anna, Weaver of Illusions. - You can read about all of them following this link to their Biographies! =)

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:47 pm

Conspired with Galitha no doubt to rob Agamemnon of his fun.

Back on topic though.... this morning I was blasting orcs with weird.... they were making the proper saves (couldn't tell if it was proper order.... too many orcs getting zapped).

Perhaps it's just the player aspect of the spell that's causing the wrong saves and affecting party when it shouldn't?
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel of Death Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:49 pm

MannyJabrielle wrote:Perhaps it's just the player aspect of the spell that's causing the wrong saves and affecting party when it shouldn't?

Nope, seen it do that to NPCs too...for me, it seems to work on/off randomly...

I compiled a few of examples of the Weird spell in use Thursday, to explain better what I mean:
Spell Bug: Weird Spell_10

#1: First the beholder. Here it seems to work as intended, the follow the quirk of the beholder mage...it succeeds will save, but doesn't get to roll a fort save before it's struck death. Suspect
#2: As with the beholder mage in example 1...same thing happens. Succeeds will save, no fort save. Still dies...
#3: Here none of the guinea pigsorcs gets any saves at all, they just die.
#4: And again, works fine here.

Hope the above helps in narrowing down the bug Smile
Angel of Death
Angel of Death
Epic Level
Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Lasombra Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:51 am

Angel of Death wrote:What it's supposed to have is, first a Will save vs Death, if the target fails, they die. If they succeed the will save, they should roll a Fort save vs death, again, if they fail, they die. If not, they've survived their inner-most fear!
Just to clarify: the will save is for the aspect of "did it affect the target at all", not the dying part - because it's not the only effect of the spell. If they fail the will save, they take damage no matter what, but fortitude protects from dying.

By the way, it should also check for fear, mind-affecting and true sight.
Lasombra
Lasombra
Worldly Guide
Worldly Guide

Male Number of posts : 249
Main Character : Amaterasu
Other Character : Shannon Elish
Other Character. : Leah Aestris
Other Character.. : Peoth
Time Zone : GMT +2:00
Registration date : 2010-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:43 am

Updating the code a little bit to make it more like PnP D&D (additional effects beyond simple damage on surviving the Fort. save). The true seeing spell or effect or item property does not grant immunity to weird (although true seeing is a counterspell against it). I'm also removing the no-save death for enemies of less than 4 hit dice.

According to the code, here's what will happen after the next module update:

Any creature hostile to the caster:
- check spell resistance
- - failure of spell resistance check means:
- - - will save vs. fear (which accounts for fear and/or mind spell immunity)
- - - - failure of will save means:
- - - - - fortitude save vs. fear
- - - - - - failure of fortitude save means:
- - - - - - - death (death magic immunity doesn't count)
- - - - - - success of fortitude save means:
- - - - - - - 3d6 magical damage
- - - - - - - stunned for 1 round
- - - - - - - minus 1d4 Strength for 12 hours (ability drain immunity doesn't count)

I'll update the spell descriptions with the next aenea.tlk update.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Sun May 05, 2013 7:17 pm

The spell is not respecting either fear or mindspell immunity now. A beholder mage just iced Audrey, my paladin, who has both fear immunity from her paladin levels and mindspell immunity from her gear.

It also apparently had enough caster levels to punch through 40 SR, which I didn't think would be possible for a 12 or 13 HD caster.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Sun May 05, 2013 7:20 pm

Edit... double checked the log. The mage didn't even cast the spell, it was off a scroll, which definitely should NOT have enough caster level power to get trough 40 SR. There was a spell resistance check which was failed... so unless the code was modified to use different rules than normal for bypassing SR, it's bugged too with that respect.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel of Death Mon May 06, 2013 12:34 pm

I don't think The Amethyst Dragon has implemented the changes he mentioned above into the module yet.

What you mention, I have experienced for quite a while. Some times the saves are done, others it's done as you describes. Odd quirks of how it's been working for a long time now...

Btw it checks for death immunity, and death immunity makes you immune to Weird.
Angel of Death
Angel of Death
Epic Level
Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Mon May 06, 2013 11:10 pm

Got death immunity, it didn't check for that. Got the spell resistance check (failed, even though it was off a scroll and I had 40 SR), and then rolled a will save vs fear, and a fort save vs fear. Both of those were a roll of 1, even though I got fear immunity via paladin levels, and mindspell via item.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:47 am

Was running around with Ramana and Crid last night.  This spell is still ignoring immunties and killing party members.  Aga accidently zapped Ranara once, and then shortly there after Ranara zapped Crideas.  I'm rather certain that they both have both mindspell immunity and fear immunity, and I think Crid may even have had illusion school immunity, but I'm not sure.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:31 pm

Ranara has Immunity to Mind-Affecting and Imm to Death Magic, as I'm sure Crideas does also.  Not Immunity to Fear per se, but the Imm Mind-Affecting has always protected against Fear. (And also have True Seeing, in case the check to resist Weird has been altered to include that.)

I saw in the log that one time early on, Ranara made a Will Save vs. Fear, likely in response to something the Ice Dracolich did, which I thought sort of odd since I had Imm Mind-Affecting.  The Wiki (under Weird) says:

"Immunity to the descriptors (fear or mind-affecting) is applied before the saving throws (if any) and after the spell resistance check, with no feedback if this immunity applies."

So if I have Imm Mind-Affecting, wouldn't that be the counter before a Will check against Fear?

And what's with this 'spell resistance' check?  When it came to the Weird cast by Aga that killed Ranara, the log only states " Ranara Duauth attempts to resist spell :  failure ".  Same when Ranara's Weird killed Crideas: " Crideas Bane attempts to resist spell : failure" .  So does this mean that if one doesn't have enough Spell Resistance, then Immunity to Mind-Affecting won't even be applied?
Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Female Number of posts : 1050
Main Character : Ramana Domefarar -
Publicly a Ranger, privately an Opportunist.
Lay Follower of Jewel,
Sensate and practitioner of the Way of Pleasure.

Other Character : Ranara Duauth -
A being created by shadow and water, a wizard.
Is actually another persona of Ramana.

Other Character. : Dae, the panther,
companion to both Ramana and Ranara,
and the best real eye-witness to the
strange circumstance of those alternating personae.

Other Character.. : The Personae of Ramana Jala
NWN Username : Ramana Jala
Time Zone : US Eastern Time
Registration date : 2011-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:15 pm

You would think that mindspell immunity grants fear immunity too.

I just found this link on the wiki talking about behinds the scenes stuff.  Specifically:

1. Saving throws vs. fear return a 2 (or 0 through MySavingThrow()) only if there is an immunity to fear. Mind-affecting immunity does not register as automatic immunity in this case (which means most of the bugs denying a saving throw to those immune to fear do not apply if the immunity comes through the generic mind-affecting).
  2. GetIsImmune() does not report immunity for the effects that mind-affecting blocks. This means an additional check must be made, if you want to know if a certain effect will be blocked on application.
  3. Saving throws vs. mind-affecting return a 2 (or 0 through MySavingThrow()) only if immunity to mind-affecting is present. A combination of immunities that block the same effects as mind-affecting will not influence this saving throw.
  4. In case of curiosity, monk immunity to mind-affecting (from perfect self) acts the same way as all other sources of this immunity.

So.... if I undertand that correctly.... there can be situations where a fear effect could slip past immunities intended to block such effects due to how the scripting is actually done.

I know there's an odd place here or there in Aenea where my PCs with mindspell immunity but not also the separate fear immunity have gotten hit by the fear effect.  That's why I tend to double up the fear immunity property with the mindspell immunity property.  It's a bit of a hassle to cover what should already be a covered immunity.... but the places where such a bug happens in aenea are so rare (and we're sorta lucky we caught weird as a definite source of wonkyness)
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:42 pm

I will double-check, but I think Crid might have Fear immunity as well. If not, I will be getting the upgrade so I can avoid having broken spells smoke me. Illusion School Immunity will also be going on the list.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : Spell Bug: Weird Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:38 pm

Have fun finding an illusiary staff Razz
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:05 pm

Another oddity with this spell... minor one.  Last night beholders were chucking this one at me a lot.  When it would 'hit' me (no deaths, but I didn't check the combat log... too much spam to read through), it would cancel my action queue.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:53 pm

The spell Weird does not seem to be party safe.

It was my newbie understanding that Weird was supposed to affect only hostiles?

I thought that meant regardless of partied or not, that it wouldn't affect non-hostiles.

But when it went wrong against friendly non-party, I thought, okay, not 'only hostiles'.

So then I thought, let's try partying.... but that didn't work either.

So, not in any way 'only hostiles'... neither safe for non-hostile non-party, nor party safe.  Not safe for anyone but the caster.

This is now a spell I can only use on solo expeditions, and hope no one wanders by.

Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:05 pm

Crid got nailed yet again by this spell cast by one of his new allies.

It seems there was a check for spell resistance, but no saving throw, and pretty sure no check for fear immunity.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackhand293 Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:40 am

Yeah that was me, I was under the impression that Crid had both mind an fear immunity. On a side note what ever the molten lion or whatever it is called is not affected by this spell, with the log reporting immunity to death magic, which technically this spell should not be blocked by.

As of patch 1.66 it is not blocked by death magic immunity.
Blackhand293
Blackhand293
Apprentice
Apprentice

Number of posts : 16
Main Character : Rederin Bricel
NWN Username : Asimuth Black
Time Zone : EST
Registration date : 2014-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Vagabond Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:14 am

A few of these spells have bugged saves, as I recall from my coding days. Some of them are really insidious, and I ended up recoding all of the saving throw/SR scripting checks as a result. Weird certainly seems to fit the bill.

I have no doubts The Amethyst Dragon will stomp this bug...
A_Vagabond
A_Vagabond
Worldly Guide
Worldly Guide

Female Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:44 pm

Default spellscript versions from 1.69 or earlier patches may not necessarily be an issue since every spell in Aenea has effectively been 'rescripted' to run through a larger single script rather than a script for each and every single spell (or more with radial style spells).  With weird working as intended in a default module, but wonky in Aenea, I would say the issue is in the rescripted aenean version.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:28 pm

I think this spell specifically is worthy of being the highest priority for bug fixing, honestly.

My opinion, but still.... folks have been reporting complaints about it since March of 2013.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:45 am

I agree that this should be the highest bugfix priority.

I can't really play my mage effectively anywhere but solo without this fixed.

Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Lay Follower of Jewel,

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:39 pm

Bug Fixed = Topic Lo
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level