Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A question on Skills

3 posters

Go down

A question on Skills Empty A question on Skills

Post by Firerax Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:43 pm

I started playing Neverwinter Nights again and decided to give a PW a try. Luckily there are some still around! So far I'm loving it. I've got a question on skills though.

Are all the standard skills used still? Such as Spot, Listen, Search? And more importantly, with the craft system in place in Aenea, what about the Craft Armour, Traps, and Weapons skills. Don't want to put my precious points into something that doesn't work!

And another one I just thought of, on attack bonus. In NwN only fighter classes cold gain the standard 4 attacks per round as epic levels no longer added an extra attack, is that still the case in Aenea? Or could an epic wizard gain 4 standard attacks? And is it still limited to level 20, as in a level 20 wizard takes some classes as a fighter, can they gain bonus attacks that way?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Firerax
Firerax
Commoner
Commoner

Male Number of posts : 9
Main Character : Silver Argenteus
Time Zone : GMT
Registration date : 2013-07-03

Back to top Go down

A question on Skills Empty Re: A question on Skills

Post by Elhanan Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:08 pm

Welcome to Aenea!

No expert, but I am a long time Player; find all the Skills save Bluff, Intimidate, and Persuade are useful here except perhaps as needed prereqs. Some Skills are actually more valuable on a PW as DC's can be higher here than in a solo game. The crafting has been changed, but the Skills are still used, though I will let a Crafting spokesperson take this one; not really much into this personally.

There are some guides written here on the forums with new Player suggestions and tips. Pls take a look around for them, as they have been quite helpful for many.

As for number of attacks, 16+ BAB is required for four multiple attacks except for the Monk, I believe. And only pre-Epic Lvls are taken into account (except for some spells which grant a temp bonus). Mixing classes can improve this, but at a cost of less effective spells, abilities, etc. There should be more helpful info listed on the forums already; again pls take the time and browse the boards.

Best of luck!
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1781
Main Character : Aargyle McJagger
Other Character : Barnabas Bottlebottom
Other Character. : Aarn, Aerik McJagger
Other Character.. : Azar; Briar Ironwood
NWN Username : Elhanan the Ancient One
Time Zone : Central USA
. : A question on Skills Forum_donor
Registration date : 2009-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:58 pm

Firerax wrote:Are all the standard skills used still? Such as Spot, Listen, Search? And more importantly, with the craft system in place in Aenea, what about the Craft Armour, Traps, and Weapons skills. Don't want to put my precious points into something that doesn't work!

Spot is still used for enemies that hide (some clever bosses and some DM possessed enemies, maybe) and to notice Pick-pocket attempts. I believe in Aenea it is also used to notice/identify tracks.

Listen is still used the same way it always has been. It has great use finding invisible creatures within striking distance and to find out what is walking around behind closed doors.

Search is still useful for finding traps on the floor and objects (doors/chests). In Aenea I think it is also used to notice certain "hidden" objects that you can collect by walking through their trigger areas.

Craft Armour and Craft Weapon are still used for the crafting system. A minimum requirement of 8 BASE ranks (before modifiers) are required for most mundane crafting attempts using the Mystic Modification Boots or Bluebeards Crystals (weapon, shield, helm, cloak, boots) or a Shronji's Self-Service Tailoring Mannequin (actual in-game name differs slightly, I can't quite remember it) (Armour and robes etc)...
The Craft Armour skill is also used for appearance crafting on rings, amulets and belts.

As for Craft Traps, I've not personally had any experience with it, however Ramana Jala made a great thread on it; here

This forum section has a lot more information on the subject Smile

Firerax wrote:
And another one I just thought of, on attack bonus. In NwN only fighter classes cold gain the standard 4 attacks per round as epic levels no longer added an extra attack, is that still the case in Aenea? Or could an epic wizard gain 4 standard attacks? And is it still limited to level 20, as in a level 20 wizard takes some classes as a fighter, can they gain bonus attacks that way?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

As answered above you need a Base Attack Bonus (BAB) of +16 or above by level 20 to gain 4 attacks/ round (Monks can get more attacks by following their special Unarmed Attack progression table ~ which also works for Kama's).
Any combination of classes that reach the +16 BAB by level 20 will get you 4attacks/round, in the epic levels your BAB just increases by one for each level gained (regardless of what class)... so a lv20Ftr/lv20wiz will have a much better BAB then a lv20Wiz/lv20Ftr...

Hope that helps !!
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2271
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
. : A question on Skills Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Firerax Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:06 pm

Thanks, that's perfect! Was afraid when I found out about the new crafting those points I spent were wasted. And the BAB bonus being the same as NwN is okay, I have my character planned out for that. Big help, thanks!
Firerax
Firerax
Commoner
Commoner

Male Number of posts : 9
Main Character : Silver Argenteus
Time Zone : GMT
Registration date : 2013-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content