Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ping Question

5 posters

Go down

Ping Question Empty Ping Question

Post by Firerax Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:44 pm

Hey, loving the PW so far, it's amazing. My ping however has shot up since I started playing. I'm in England, when I started playing my ping was around 70, now it averages at 220. What really baffles me is that the wireless laptop connection still has a ping of 70, when the connected PC is 220. The laptop isn't so great for games and takes forever to load things. Anyone have any idea as to what I can do?

I've checked for viruses, defragged, and removed all spyware.
Firerax
Firerax
Commoner
Commoner

Male Number of posts : 9
Main Character : Silver Argenteus
Time Zone : GMT
Registration date : 2013-07-03

Back to top Go down

Ping Question Empty Re: Ping Question

Post by Elhanan Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:55 pm

Techless One here....

Sorry; sim problems here for several months, plus the random disconnects at 15 min or so. As a new Player, I am guessing all your downloads are freshly installed, so I am at a loss as to the problems. Maybe some of the Techoies will see this soon and be of help.

And welcome to Aenea!
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1781
Main Character : Aargyle McJagger
Other Character : Barnabas Bottlebottom
Other Character. : Aarn, Aerik McJagger
Other Character.. : Azar; Briar Ironwood
NWN Username : Elhanan the Ancient One
Time Zone : Central USA
. : Ping Question Forum_donor
Registration date : 2009-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:26 am

On the slower device, check for unnecessary background processes.  

CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up your Task Manager, choose the Processes tab (I'm still on XP, so follow whatever procedure on your OS to get the Task Manager).  Sort the User Name column so that those entries under your personal User Name are all bunched at the top.  Examine what you have there.  One can End Process on anything under your User Name that isn't essential (and go to your MSCONFIG Startup to shut it down permanently if you want).  Use caution to not End Process on anything you aren't sure what it is.  And DO NOT End Process on anything that isn't a process under your User Name (like labeled System).

Myself, I'm always having to turn off such stuff as Google Update and Real Player's Recording Manager, since I haven't been able to stop them from starting via their program settings or by msconfig.

Then check your MSCONFIG Startup [START/Run msconfig, then Startup and Services tabs] for nonessential processes to shut down.  Again, do this carefully.  It may take some web research to identify all the entries, but there's usually a garbage load of stuff that doesn't need to be always started and running.

And finally, disable your anti-virus while running the game.  Some antivirus antispyware programs are really invasive and hog the processor.

Let us know if it helps to disable background processes and your antivirus.  If it doesn't do a lot, there are other places to look.  You might need to examine your video card, its amount of video RAM, and its driver to make sure all is efficient there.  There was a period when NVidia drivers weren't very compatible with NWN, but they seem to be fixed now.

Then there's a site called Tweak Guides, that has been mentioned elsewhere in this forum, about how to tweak your system, video settings, and the game settings, to optimize frame rates and make things run smoother.  Unfortunately, they don't have one specifically for NWN1, but a lot of useful info can be had from their guide for NWN2, which gives links for their general system and graphics tweaks guides.

And welcome, glad you're enjoying this wonderful world!
Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Female Number of posts : 1050
Main Character : Ramana Domefarar -
Publicly a Ranger, privately an Opportunist.
Lay Follower of Jewel,
Sensate and practitioner of the Way of Pleasure.

Other Character : Ranara Duauth -
A being created by shadow and water, a wizard.
Is actually another persona of Ramana.

Other Character. : Dae, the panther,
companion to both Ramana and Ranara,
and the best real eye-witness to the
strange circumstance of those alternating personae.

Other Character.. : The Personae of Ramana Jala
NWN Username : Ramana Jala
Time Zone : US Eastern Time
Registration date : 2011-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Firerax Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:39 am

Didn't realise programs running could effect your ping. Everything in task manager is good though, I keep track of programs running. The game isn't choppy at all, though sometimes I do get a delay for actions, which when facing a horde of goblins is not ideal. Disabled anti-virus for a moment to check, ping is still the same. I don't get ping problems with other games I play, do a lot of WC3. Where is the server located? If it's in America or something that might explain the ping, though how I started with a 70 would be odd.
Firerax
Firerax
Commoner
Commoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Elhanan Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:01 am

Yes; server is in South-Western portion of USA.
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1781
Main Character : Aargyle McJagger
Other Character : Barnabas Bottlebottom
Other Character. : Aarn, Aerik McJagger
Other Character.. : Azar; Briar Ironwood
NWN Username : Elhanan the Ancient One
Time Zone : Central USA
Registration date : 2009-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:22 am

I was giving general guidelines for addressing lag, which I assumed was the reason you were concerned about your ping?

The networks from your ISP through the lines to the Arizona site are certainly variable, and unfortunately The Amethyst Dragon's ISP is often messing with us.

So I just optimize my system and hope for good internet weather, lol.  Cool
Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Female Number of posts : 1050
Main Character : Ramana Domefarar -
Publicly a Ranger, privately an Opportunist.
Lay Follower of Jewel,
Sensate and practitioner of the Way of Pleasure.

Other Character : Ranara Duauth -
A being created by shadow and water, a wizard.
Is actually another persona of Ramana.

Other Character. : Dae, the panther,
companion to both Ramana and Ranara,
and the best real eye-witness to the
strange circumstance of those alternating personae.

Other Character.. : The Personae of Ramana Jala
NWN Username : Ramana Jala
Time Zone : US Eastern Time
Registration date : 2011-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:11 pm

I'm UK based, average a ping of 270 on most nights. Game runs fine with very little lag for me. When it does go down to around 100 I see no major improvements. The only thing that might take a little longer sometimes (fractions of a second) are opening my inventory or a merchant/shop. For the most part the game runs very stable, and I found that for my machine at least I load into an area about a second faster then those stateside (based on reaction times/ventrillo comments)...

Don't worry about it unless you find the lag monster... ... ... ...

Last edited by RustyDios on Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2271
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel of Death Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:21 pm

^ I'll echoe what Rusty said (except for the country given, not UK-based, but still European here Razz). I think having a ping of ~200 is to be expected for any European playing on a US-based server/PW. At least, that is my experience...for the most part though, it doesn't really play a part in any lag - so unless the lag monster surfaces from it's demonic hideout you shouldn't worry about it. Smile
Angel of Death
Angel of Death
Epic Level
Epic Level

Number of posts : 1132
Main Character : Célestin Chevalier; Knight Champion of Dalix. Protector of the Innocent. Slayer of Evil.
Other Character : Angelique Nightstar; Arcane Archer.
Personal Quote: "The way of the bow is simplicity and beauty combined with power and discipline."
Other Character. : Bruce Li; Wanderer and Practitioner of the Dragon Paw Style. & Cherry; Starchild of Jewel n' Chancetaker of Lysis.
Other Character.. : Anna, Weaver of Illusions. - You can read about all of them following this link to their Biographies! =)
NWN Username : I await You in the End
Time Zone : Central European Timezone
Registration date : 2010-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Firerax Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:53 am

A mere 220 isn't going to stop me from exploring this place! Though I have met a few lag monster babies. Possible an update or two on my side. Just found it strange that I started with 70 and the laptop, which will run with choppy-ness, still has a 70. Thanks for the help everyone! If anyone wants to adventure with me sometime, my main is called Silver. Only a low level right now.
Firerax
Firerax
Commoner
Commoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content