Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duergar...Possible?!

+4
MannyJabrielle
The Amethyst Dragon
Elhanan
Eilanzer
8 posters

Go down

Duergar...Possible?! Empty Duergar...Possible?!

Post by Eilanzer Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:11 am

Hi, i´m new in ALL this (don´t know if this is the right place to ask this, and sry for my bad english...It´s not my main language)

I was reading all the rules about class and didn´t find something that i would like to play/roleplay as...Duergar...yes, with all penalties included ^^ after all...THAT´s the real fun /o/

If this class doesn´t exist under current rules, can i create something approximate and roleplay as one (normal dwarf or some sub-race of dwarf)?!

Obs: I just love Duergar and always play with something close to it ^^

Tks
Eilanzer
Eilanzer
Commoner
Commoner

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2014-01-24

Back to top Go down

Duergar...Possible?! Empty Re: Duergar...Possible?!

Post by Elhanan Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:49 am

Welcome to Aenea!

I know little of the Duegar - only have seen what is offered in NWN2 - so I will ask what makes them identifiable to you as such?

One possibility is attached to the Halflings or Fae here: Goblin-Kin sub-race

http://www.amethyst-dragon.com/nwn/race_goblinkin.htm

But this racial type may be a bit small for you, so look through more of the Racial sub-types such as Shadow-child and Vampire to see if there is something closer to your design wishes.
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1781
Main Character : Aargyle McJagger
Other Character : Barnabas Bottlebottom
Other Character. : Aarn, Aerik McJagger
Other Character.. : Azar; Briar Ironwood
NWN Username : Elhanan the Ancient One
Time Zone : Central USA
. : Duergar...Possible?! Forum_donor
Registration date : 2009-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:50 pm

Welcome, Eilanzer.

We do not have a duergar subrace in Aenea.  There's nothing to say you can't play a regular dwarf (or one of the other dwarven subraces), pick a grey skin color, and just call yourself one...you just wouldn't have any actual Forgotten Realm-ish evil dwarf powers/abilities.

Kind of like if someone really wants to play a psionicist.  Aenea doesn't have psionics (and never has), there's nothing to prevent someone from playing as a sorcerer and just calling it "psionics".

There are NPC evil dwarves.  Their name is spell slightly differently (a dropped "r"), but Aenea is the Forgotten Realms or other published world they might be in, so I've never been a stickler for how it's "supposed" to be spelled.

Oh, and don't worry about English not being your main language.  We welcome players from everywhere. Smile
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilanzer Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:55 am

Thanks for the answers guys, after seeing all the possibilities i think dwarf+shadow child is the best answer to resemble an Duergar. (But because his phantom like "avatar", can i change my character using an hakpack like http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Hakpaks.Detail&id=8760&id=6445)

Elhanan wrote:I know little of the Duegar - only have seen what is offered in NWN2 - so I will ask what makes them identifiable to you as such?

In short duergar is kinda like what a drow is to an elf...Kinda...Best explained here: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Duergar

@Amethyst

Tks for your welcome ^^ , i have no problem playing with something like a duergar (for me, roleplaying as one is more fun than all in game stuff /o/...And i always do that in almost all games that have a dwarf)
Your subrace shadow child cover almost all stuff that a duergar is, or il just play as a dwarf...What i needed was an ok to the staff about roleplaying as one (some servers take roleplay and his own rules toooo serious to let the players have some freedom)
Eilanzer
Eilanzer
Commoner
Commoner

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:47 am

There's no problem with roleplaying one Smile  There ARE duegar in Aenea, but as The Amethyst Dragon mentioned, they don't have their own specific subrace with bonuses/penalties..... They're simply dwarves called Deugar.  They seem to be particularly devoted to Prizimal, as the ones I see all the time are darkbringer priests of prizimal with a small gang of warrior bodyguards.

As for customizing your character's appearance....

For head models, there's a shop in Macedone, Shada's Alterations.  There you can change your head model for 5,000 gold.  There's a preview function to it, so you can 'try on' different heads before making the alteration.  You can also switch between normal/large phenotype there.

For clothing/armor, there's shops in various cities called SJorn's Self service Tailoring (armors), and Bluebeard's tower in Valorian's Vale has sublevels devoted to altering the appearance of shields, cloaks, helmets, and the other equipped items (rings, gloves, ect).

For skin/hair/tattoo color changes, look for a shop called Spectra's Magical Space or something like that.... Spectra's dyes can change your colors.

Also, you can change your voiceset here. You can find the specific command on the homepage, under the list of VC commands.  It's under the "tool" subsection, and has a list of the available voice sets.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:43 am

Yep, lots of freedom here in Aenea to create what you want.  Myself, I created an elven shadowchild wizard whom I play as a unique being of part shadow substance and part water elemental (with pale bluish skin, when you can see her), and who is actually an alternating personality of another character.  Imagination is welcomed here!

As Manny relates, in Aenea we have various ways to tweak a character's appearance.  By that FR article, if you color a dwarf with 'dull grey skin and hair', choose a 'bald' head, and play the dwarf as surly, evil, and magically-blooded in some way, you got a Duergar!  You can either play the sunlight-sensitivity on your own, or take the shadowchild subrace if you don't mind the ethereal appearance.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with! Smile
Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Female Number of posts : 1050
Main Character : Ramana Domefarar -
Publicly a Ranger, privately an Opportunist.
Lay Follower of Jewel,
Sensate and practitioner of the Way of Pleasure.

Other Character : Ranara Duauth -
A being created by shadow and water, a wizard.
Is actually another persona of Ramana.

Other Character. : Dae, the panther,
companion to both Ramana and Ranara,
and the best real eye-witness to the
strange circumstance of those alternating personae.

Other Character.. : The Personae of Ramana Jala
NWN Username : Ramana Jala
Time Zone : US Eastern Time
Registration date : 2011-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel of Death Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:06 am

MannyJabrielle wrote:
As for customizing your character's appearance....

For head models, there's a shop in Macedone, Shada's Alterations.  There you can change your head model for 5,000 gold.  There's a preview function to it, so you can 'try on' different heads before making the alteration.  You can also switch between normal/large phenotype there.

I just want to note that a new character gain access to this function upon creation for free. It works one time only, after that you would have to go to Macedone and pay up the fee of 5.000 gp per change. Smile

As far as playing as a duergar. You can either, as you said, create a dwarven shadow child character or do as Ramana suggest and choose a normal dwarf with grey skin appearance.

Duergar Racial Traits:
+2 Constitution, –4 Charisma. These adjustments replace the
hill dwarf ability score modifiers.
• Medium size. Duergar have no bonuses or penalties due to
their size.
• A duergar’s base land speed is 20 feet. Gray dwarves can move
at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or
when carrying a medium or heavy load.
• Immunities (Ex): Gray dwarves are immune to paralysis,
phantasms, and poison.
• Racial Bonuses: A duergar has a +2 racial bonus on saves against
spells and spell-like abilities, a +4 racial bonus on Move Silently
checks, and a +1 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks. She
receives a +2 bonus on Appraise and Craft checks that are
related to stone or metal and a +1 racial bonus on attack rolls
against orcs (including half-orcs) and goblinoids.
• Darkvision: A duergar has darkvision out to 120 feet.
Stability: A duergar gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to
resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the
ground.
• Stonecunning: This ability grants a duergar a +2 racial bonus
on Search checks made to notice unusual stonework. A gray
dwarf who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework
is entitled to a Search check as if she were actively searching,
and she can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a
rogue can. A duergar can also intuit depth, sensing her approximate
depth underground.
• Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day—enlarge person, invisibility. Caster
level equals twice the duergar’s class level (minimum 3rd
level). These abilities affect only the duergar and whatever she
carries.
• +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against giants.
• Light Sensitivity (Ex): Duergar are dazzled in bright light
(such as sunlight or a daylight spell).
• Automatic Languages: Common, Dwarven, and Undercommon.
Bonus Languages: Draconic, Giant, Goblin, Orc, and
Terran.
• Favored Class: Fighter.
• Level Adjustment: +1
If you want the racial trait benefits and go with the latter option, you can make use of a voucher to request a player reward item (named "Duergar Racial Traits" as example) with proper abilities in the toolset and send an .erf to ADfollowing the steps provided in the previous link.

As I see it, a ring with the following abilities should work quite well for this...
* Immunity to Poison and Paralysis
* Spell Immunity: Blindness/Deafness, Colour Spray & Phantasmal Killer
* -2 Charisma
* +4 Move Silent Skill
* +1 to Listen and Spot Skill
* +2 Appraise, Craft Armor & Craft Weapon
* Only Useable by Dwarf and/or Evil

An item with such abilities would require one of the higher tier vouchers though, and you wouldn't be able to gain the immunity to Phantasmal Killer spell immunity (lvl 2 and lower spells only for voucher requests). The other way would be to modify an item with the use of the in-game item upgrade masters: The Maker's request thread or The grumpy old dwarf's thread, this option might be the way I would go personally... Smile

If you wanted a NPC apperance of a duergar, you can also request a custom skin appearance by following the steps in this thread.

I hope these suggestions help you! Welcome to Aenea!! Very Happy cheers 
Angel of Death
Angel of Death
Epic Level
Epic Level

Number of posts : 1132
Main Character : Célestin Chevalier; Knight Champion of Dalix. Protector of the Innocent. Slayer of Evil.
Other Character : Angelique Nightstar; Arcane Archer.
Personal Quote: "The way of the bow is simplicity and beauty combined with power and discipline."
Other Character. : Bruce Li; Wanderer and Practitioner of the Dragon Paw Style. & Cherry; Starchild of Jewel n' Chancetaker of Lysis.
Other Character.. : Anna, Weaver of Illusions. - You can read about all of them following this link to their Biographies! =)
NWN Username : I await You in the End
Time Zone : Central European Timezone
Registration date : 2010-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:24 am

Just to clarify... the lv2 or lower spell immunity refers to the "all spells of level X" immunity, not the level of a specific spell immunity.

Immunity to spell levels is a separate property from specific spell immunity and school immunity.  That is the one limited to level 2 or lower spells on voucher items.

As for the suggested traits.... I wouldn't bother adding the "usable only by" tags.  The item cannot be transferred anyhow, and should in the future for whatever reason he decides to shift his alignment to neutral or good, he would block out use of his own item unless he had substantial UMD skill.

I would also just go straight for illusion school immunity.  While it would catch several non "Phantasm" type illusion spells, there actually aren't very many, and the pricetag is FAR lower than the two instances of specific spell immunity, much less a specific spell immunity for ALL the phantasm style spells.  Even a single specific spell immunity is nearly the same price as a school immunity.

That saving on price could allow for a 1/day use of invis (although the caster level would not scale), and perhaps tenser's transformation as a very rough immitation of "enlarge person"'s bonuses (but not the well, actually getting bigger part).

If done as a boot item, the +4 dodge Vs giants could be exactly duplicated... heck, might even stack with a regular +X dodge AC bonus on the boots as well... not 100% sure.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by ColdWind Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:47 am

dodge ac stacks (with +20 cap of course).
ColdWind
ColdWind
Prolific Scribe
Prolific Scribe

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2014-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:11 pm

Yes, I know dodge stacks in general.

I'm simply not 100% certain how dodge+# and Dodge+#vsX would stack together exactly.  There's more than a few instances where the rules of NWN's mechanics are flat out broken by NWN's mechanics so it's not a good idea to just assume when there's a good chance for the engine to break it's own rules.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by ColdWind Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:33 pm

easy to check - make a dwarf and find a giant (battle training with giants adds 4 dodge bonus)
ColdWind
ColdWind
Prolific Scribe
Prolific Scribe

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2014-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilanzer Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:54 am

@Angel of Death

Tks for your idea, but for now i´m content with my dwarf with gray skin and a korgan bg2 duergar version portrait ^^

In the future maybe i follow your idea, but for now it´s enough ^^ ...A custom item made just for one player is a lil too much =/

Anyway....Tks guys see you in-game

Obs: I tried dwarf/shadow child first, and with some help from the player Wind...But that was too much...I didn´t even see my character or know if he was hiding or not (died soo many times with a rogue/shadow child that i hate both of them now)...And made a chaotic neutral crazy one (after all...Rp as true evil doing the first quests of the game is a lil off...And duergar can be chaotic neutral so no problemo there too) /o/
Eilanzer
Eilanzer
Commoner
Commoner

Back to top Go down

Post by odbo255 Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:54 pm

Eilanzer wrote:...A custom item made just for one player is a lil too much

Actually, the player reward custom items are one of the many features that make Aenea a unique (and fun!) PW.
odbo255
odbo255
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Male Number of posts : 459
Main Character : Fren Hilg
Other Character : Isk Mool
Other Character: Remi Ferrand
NWN Username : odbo255
DM Name : Dungeon Master Beowulf
Time Zone : PT
. : Duergar...Possible?! Forum_donor
Registration date : 2012-06-22

http://member.acm.org/~jtwburton

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:38 pm

A player can have several custom items, and several characters each with their own custom items.

Most of the design work is up to you the player, so while it does take some effort for The Amethyst Dragon to put the item into the module (it's done by off-palette methods), and tweak the update anvil in the conjunction, maaaybe update some of the special properties scripts if you go for one of those... yeah, most of the grunt work of apperance, description, properties, that's up to the player to do Smile

LoW's PW does something similar, although the process is totally automated, but yeah.... don't be afraid of or feel guilty about custom items. They're there for player enjoyment Smile
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum