Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Could GOG Galaxy Be useful For Playing In Aenea?

2 posters

Go down

Could GOG Galaxy Be useful For Playing In Aenea? Empty Could GOG Galaxy Be useful For Playing In Aenea?

Post by Elhanan Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:45 pm

Saw this recently, and wondered what the Techies might say:

http://www.gog.com/galaxy
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1781
Main Character : Aargyle McJagger
Other Character : Barnabas Bottlebottom
Other Character. : Aarn, Aerik McJagger
Other Character.. : Azar; Briar Ironwood
NWN Username : Elhanan the Ancient One
Time Zone : Central USA
. : Could GOG Galaxy Be useful For Playing In Aenea? Forum_donor
Registration date : 2009-06-23

Back to top Go down

Could GOG Galaxy Be useful For Playing In Aenea? Empty Re: Could GOG Galaxy Be useful For Playing In Aenea?

Post by MannyJabrielle Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:10 pm

I don't see how it would benefit Aenea in any way really.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Could GOG Galaxy Be useful For Playing In Aenea? Empty Re: Could GOG Galaxy Be useful For Playing In Aenea?

Post by Elhanan Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:15 pm

It will be a gaming service that allows connection to other platforms (eg; Steam, Origins). I was thinking since we lose any official support for connections, that GOG might be a good option since they also support the game itself.
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:23 pm

Ok, I don't use steam or origins, but as far as I know, they are distribution clients.  Why would you need to connect to them?  And what do you mean exactly by official support for connections?  NWN's support has been cut for a good long while now, and it's still possible to connect online even though the master server was taken offline.

GoG sells the game, yes, but they aren't going to be providing any further support for it.... the 1.69 patch is the end of the line for any sort of official support on the game.  The most GoG would do is providing support for getting the game up and running on your system, but I really don't see the need for a whole client program for that.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Elhanan Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:35 pm

Did you play that video connected to Galaxy? It may explain some of these questions.

For me, some solo games have required waiting for defaulted long downloads even though I had the disks; ridiculous, IMO.  And having to stay connected for solo games seems almost as loony. This seems to be a Player friendly service that may help wake the other giants to becoming more Player friendly, too.
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:59 pm

For other games, yeah I could see the benefit of DRM free installers.... but you asked in regards for helpful with playing on Aenea.

NWN doesn't require any online DRM checking to start up/play or connect online. NWN's DRM is basically the CD key... and actually now that I think about it, I'm not sure how a keyless version of an NWN client would work with Aenea and the cd-key protection The Amethyst Dragon scripted into the server.  The public CD key is derived from the installation CD key (the cd key you actually enter to install the game).... to play NWN in Aenea with a GoG game, you still would have to request a unique CD key, which effectively negates the 'benefit' of a DRMless version of NWN (which is actually already what GoG sells with it's generic installation key that's not really good for online play).

Even *without* the custom key protection on Aenea, you would still need to request a unique key as you can't log into a server where someone is logged in with that same key....

So yeah... I just don't see any benefit of this for Aenea.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down