Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creature Random Buffs (specifically resistances)

4 posters

Go down

Creature Random Buffs (specifically resistances) Empty Creature Random Buffs (specifically resistances)

Post by MannyJabrielle Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:35 pm

Partly suggestion, but putting in bug reports for specific reasons....

The random resistances "lower level" creatures gets can be actually somewhat of an issue.  And it's also incredibly immersion breaking.

The temp HP is great... it beefs up baddies without artificially boosting their CON (and thus nerfing the heck out of fort save spells).... but the resistances.... not great at all.

It's incredibly immersion breaking when my epic PCs will come across a goblin who shrugs off a fireball no problem, or a skeleton who gets -/20 damage resistance (on TOP of their 50% slash/peirce immunities).

I ran into several spawns of bone golems today for example... their immunities already made them a pain, despite being rather "below my level", but a couple within the spawns apparently got damage resistances on top of their immunities, which turned my soulgathering sword from a slow-kill weapon to a no-kill weapon, a I could not damage them at all even with power attack and +15 to the 1d10 damage roll and making high rolls.  To overcome the -/20 damage resistance it was toting PLUS the damage immunity, I would have to dish out a bare min of 41 damage to score even 1 point of damage (41/2= 20.5, rounded up to 21..... resistance ignores the first 20 points of that 21).  Agianst an on-level creature, I could almost see that kind of defense... not from a 'below level' enemy though.

If low level critters being turned into super defenders is to stay in, it really should be granted as damage immunity to X damage type rather than resistance.  That way yes, the creatures are harder to kill, but not suddenly impossible for no explicable reason at all.

Also.... the random buffs should take the creature's already present immunities into account, especially if the random buffs are switched from resistances to immunities.  Creatures such as skeletons (who already have 50% slash/pierce) should not get much, if any more physical resistance to those two damage types as the immunity property stacks.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Creature Random Buffs (specifically resistances) Empty Re: Creature Random Buffs (specifically resistances)

Post by Lasombra Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:40 pm

Agreed. It's just sad at times to see how much of a pita a low-level creature can get, especially since usually the damage output doesn't increase that much(if at all) after some point, so it can actually be much harder to beat them as we rise in level... for a much lower XP gain.
Lasombra
Lasombra
Worldly Guide
Worldly Guide

Male Number of posts : 249
Main Character : Amaterasu
Other Character : Shannon Elish
Other Character. : Leah Aestris
Other Character.. : Peoth
Time Zone : GMT +2:00
Registration date : 2010-01-22

Back to top Go down

Creature Random Buffs (specifically resistances) Empty Re: Creature Random Buffs (specifically resistances)

Post by MannyJabrielle Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:39 pm

Plus when low level PCs are on.... I am hesitant to leave the vale any other way than teleport/wanderer's gate just so I don't spawn super-buffed baddies in those areas just outside the field.  Nor do I really want to feel compelled to clear out the super-monstrous bats/goblins which the single digit level PC would simply have no hope of killing.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:34 am

That's a good point, Manny.  I'll have to remember that myself, that my level 40s just traveling through an area quickly could leave boss-level spawns for others.

And quite responsible of you, considering how frustrating that would be for low-level PCs, and what a bad impression it would give any newbie to Aenea.
Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Female Number of posts : 1050
Main Character : Ramana Domefarar -
Publicly a Ranger, privately an Opportunist.
Lay Follower of Jewel,
Sensate and practitioner of the Way of Pleasure.

Other Character : Ranara Duauth -
A being created by shadow and water, a wizard.
Is actually another persona of Ramana.

Other Character. : Dae, the panther,
companion to both Ramana and Ranara,
and the best real eye-witness to the
strange circumstance of those alternating personae.

Other Character.. : The Personae of Ramana Jala
NWN Username : Ramana Jala
Time Zone : US Eastern Time
Registration date : 2011-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:51 pm

Personal opinion, I think the random level-disparity based buffs are too problematic and should go.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : Creature Random Buffs (specifically resistances) Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down