Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Used: Tenser's Transformation and other stuff...

4 posters

Go down

Used: Tenser's Transformation and other stuff... Empty Used: Tenser's Transformation and other stuff...

Post by daveyeisley Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:59 am

Long post, apologies.... also I am quite tired at the moment, I ask that you forgive me if my tone seems standoffish... im unable to put a lot of focus and effort into maintaining the neutral tone thing right now.... sorry, please understand if you can....

Can I just say how much I actually hate the way Bioware implemented Tenser's Transformation?

Sure, you can have the attack bonus... but it doesnt grant extra attacks like
it should...

Sure you can have all the stat bonuses.... but we made it work like a polymorph,
so you lose the benefit of all your gear, which will mess up your spell slots when you change back,
as well as taking away the benefits of defensive gear you might need, like say energy resistances,
or a certain immunity you need...

And sure, you can have all the proficincies you need.... but you have to weild this dinky
sword we give you... you dont get to use a good, powerful weapon you may have found...
cuz that would make the spell worth casting...

rant over, on to other stuff...

A lot of the custom Aenea spells do not properly cast into items such as sequencers, etc... possibly due to the items not counting as valid targets for some reason.

can beholder eye rays be changed to actually work like rays? its annoying that they dont have to make attack rolls with their "ray" attacks that ignore spell resistance, school immunity, and spell mantles... even though the rays are supposed to be "spell-like" abilities.

not that it is likely to ever come up... but if it did it would suck... the demon-kin subrace getting 2 spell resistance per level would make them just about completely untouchable with spells by level 35.... even by a 40th level pure caster with all the spell penetration feats.... and a mordenkainen's disjunction to lower it by 10... and at level 40 demon-kin.... the caster could only succeed on a 20... that seems a little harsh to me...
im fairly certain there is nothing in the game otherwise that has SR over 40, not even Mephistopheles, and he had some of the most retarded resistances and immunities a boss could ever have (ie. positive energy and magical damage resist of 20+). PvP may not be a focus here, but it could come up... or god forbid, eventually there is an epic level demon-kin NPC enemy to fight... now... if it were 3 points of SR every 2 levels.... that might work better. still VERY solid SR all the way up to lvl 40, but a 40th level pure caster with the right feats and modenkainen's would have a solid shot at getting spells thru.

the elder brain of the illithid colony - there should be some way for melee types to go in and attack without having their brains drained.... immunity to mind effects does not work for some reason... and also, because the brain seems to have been placed as a "neutral" object, rather than an evil creature, certain areas spells and spells that only affect evil creatures do nothing at all to it... for example, firebrand, luminous' redeeming flames, horrid wilting, etc... ( was really expecting to see some big numbers come up from horrid wilting on a brain cuz it would seem dependent on fluids... but instead... nothing)

I found some "sling bullets" that actually say they are for use with the polymorph self and shapechange spells. The spell descriptions for both spells indicate that upon casting, the user will get a dialogue menu to choose a form from. This works properly with polymorph self, but not with shapechange... if no "sling bullet of form X" is equipped, one becomes a werewolf by default, with no dialogue. I have not tried it yet, but i assume with a bullet equipped one will take the form specified by the bullet. Due to the fact that dialogue is blocked in combat, (as you pointed out in response to my idea about the teleport/summon gloves), it would seem that polymorph self would currently not work in combat. It may need to be altered to mirror the shapechange script, and both spells may need to have their descriptions updated. Also, where can one find more information about where to locate additional form "sling bullets" for shapechange? It would be super nice to have some basic ones given upon learning the shapechange spell (whether by scroll, or level up spell selection). I really like the idea of using the ammunition slot for this type of thing, as it can be swithced in combat, and doesnt mess with any gear slots. I would like to request that the teleport/summon gloves be switched over to this form as well.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : Used: Tenser's Transformation and other stuff... Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Used: Tenser's Transformation and other stuff... Empty Re: Used: Tenser's Transformation and other stuff...

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:48 am

daveyeisley wrote:Can I just say how much I actually hate the way Bioware implemented Tenser's Transformation?
Let me just add this to my TO DO list for after the 1.69 patch. I'll make it so it just adjusts stats, spellcasting ability, and attacks. I should be able to get the script to handle that.

daveyeisley wrote:A lot of the custom Aenea spells do not properly cast into items such as sequencers, etc... possibly due to the items not counting as valid targets for some reason.
Ah, one step I forgot in adding all the new spells...adding them to the scripting for things like spell sequencers. I'll have to dig into that code and do that. Thanks.

daveyeisley wrote:can beholder eye rays be changed to actually work like rays? its annoying that they dont have to make attack rolls with their "ray" attacks that ignore spell resistance, school immunity, and spell mantles... even though the rays are supposed to be "spell-like" abilities.
I'll look into it. I was under the impression they already did, but I haven't fought many beholders in-game yet. Thanks.

Demon Spawn Spell Resistance:

I thought I changed all the subraces' SR to "level + X". I must have missed doing that to the demon spawn. Another thing for my TO DO list.

daveyeisley wrote:the elder brain of the illithid colony - there should be some way for melee types to go in and attack without having their brains drained.... immunity to mind effects does not work for some reason... and also, because the brain seems to have been placed as a "neutral" object, rather than an evil creature, certain areas spells and spells that only affect evil creatures do nothing at all to it... for example, firebrand, luminous' redeeming flames, horrid wilting, etc... ( was really expecting to see some big numbers come up from horrid wilting on a brain cuz it would seem dependent on fluids... but instead... nothing)
Part of the danger of such a powerful being is in getting close to it. Getting close is dangerous. Not every enemy can be defeated easily with a single type of weapon. And the brain, as I made it, is supposed to be immune to lots of stuff based on its immense power and experience.

daveyeisley wrote:I found some "sling bullets" that actually say they are for use with the polymorph self and shapechange spells.
Can you tell be where you found those shape crystals? I've been trying to get them out of the game, as they are from a failed path with expanding the possibilities with polymorph self and shapechange spells.

I'll look into the problem with shapechange and the spell descriptions.

I'm trying to figure out a way to start conversation files in combat for things like the shape changing spells. Haven't found the key yet, but I'm pretty sure there has to be a way.

daveyeisley wrote:I really like the idea of using the ammunition slot for this type of thing, as it can be swithced in combat, and doesnt mess with any gear slots. I would like to request that the teleport/summon gloves be switched over to this form as well.
For some reason, using the ammunition slots didn't work with the polymorph/shapechange spells. I have a feeling it may be due to the inherent ability to have more than a single one of such items in a "stack" and the game being able to hold onto specific informtion from them. In theory, it should have worked just like teleport and the gloves, but it doesn't work in practice.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Used: Tenser's Transformation and other stuff... Empty Re: Used: Tenser's Transformation and other stuff...

Post by daveyeisley Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:25 am

The Amethyst Dragon wrote:
daveyeisley wrote:Can I just say how much I actually hate the way Bioware implemented Tenser's Transformation?
Let me just add this to my TO DO list for after the 1.69 patch. I'll make it so it just adjusts stats, spellcasting ability, and attacks. I should be able to get the script to handle that.

One would think that Bioware could have done it right the first time, but.... Im probably
preaching to the choir here...

daveyeisley wrote:A lot of the custom Aenea spells do not properly cast into items such as sequencers, etc... possibly due to the items not counting as valid targets for some reason.
Ah, one step I forgot in adding all the new spells...adding them to the scripting for things like spell sequencers. I'll have to dig into that code and do that. Thanks.

No. Thank YOU for actually giving a damn.

daveyeisley wrote:can beholder eye rays be changed to actually work like rays? its annoying that they dont have to make attack rolls with their "ray" attacks that ignore spell resistance, school immunity, and spell mantles... even though the rays are supposed to be "spell-like" abilities.
I'll look into it. I was under the impression they already did, but I haven't fought many beholders in-game yet. Thanks.

It still amazes me that you can thank me for this type of thing after the sheer volume of things
I have dumped on you...

Demon Spawn Spell Resistance:

I thought I changed all the subraces' SR to "level + X". I must have missed doing that to the demon spawn. Another thing for my TO DO list.

You may very well have fixed the whole deal. I havent run into a problem with it, I was merely
jumping to a conclusion based on what the website had for info about the subraces. If it
is already fixed, then the only change needed is on the website.

daveyeisley wrote:the elder brain of the illithid colony - there should be some way for melee types to go in and attack without having their brains drained.... immunity to mind effects does not work for some reason... and also, because the brain seems to have been placed as a "neutral" object, rather than an evil creature, certain areas spells and spells that only affect evil creatures do nothing at all to it... for example, firebrand, luminous' redeeming flames, horrid wilting, etc... ( was really expecting to see some big numbers come up from horrid wilting on a brain cuz it would seem dependent on fluids... but instead... nothing)
Part of the danger of such a powerful being is in getting close to it. Getting close is dangerous. Not every enemy can be defeated easily with a single type of weapon. And the brain, as I made it, is supposed to be immune to lots of stuff based on its immense power and experience.

I understand where you are coming from. I was thinking it might be better to allow melee types a chance
to fight it effectively, with some form of item or potion. I will admit that it getting to ignore what
to me seems the appropriate immunity does kind of irk me... but even so, spell effects like firebrand and horrid wilting don't strike me as less effective or inneffective compared to a spell like chain lightning, and chain lightning works on it, merely because it has a primary target, while the others do not.

daveyeisley wrote:I have found some "sling bullets" that actually say they are for use with the polymorph self and shapechange spells.
Can you tell be where you found those shape crystals? I've been trying to get them out of the game, as they are from a failed path with expanding the possibilities with polymorph self and shapechange spells.

I'll look into the problem with shapechange and the spell descriptions.

I'm trying to figure out a way to start conversation files in combat for things like the shape changing spells. Haven't found the key yet, but I'm pretty sure there has to be a way.

Sure thing, the crystals drop from the Elder Brain. As for the conversation in combat,
yes. I absolutely agree it HAS to be possible. I point you to one example: In the Baldur's
gate series, the infinity engine was the same, and the "Wish" and "Limited Wish" spells
spawned an NPC whom the player would "talk" to... this worked even during combat.

I believe all that would be needed is to have the spell change the variable that tells
the engine the player is "in combat" and then immediately force the conversation.
I am not sure if re-entering combat would break the conversation, but I do not believe it does.
If it does, then you would need to make a way for the player to be immune to entering combat
until the dialogue was over. Perhaps a faction change combined with invulnerability while
the dialogue is active? The player would become hostile to other players which would normally
be a problem, unless you make them invulnerable temporarily... unless there is a way to make
a character non-hostile to ALL others, players and monsters alike. Another solution would be
a quick and short transfer to Limbo while the conversation is going on, and then
a transport back to where they cast the spell once its done. I admit neither of my ideas is
all that elegant... but they might work...

daveyeisley wrote:I really like the idea of using the ammunition slot for this type of thing, as it can be swithced in combat, and doesnt mess with any gear slots. I would like to request that the teleport/summon gloves be switched over to this form as well.
For some reason, using the ammunition slots didn't work with the polymorph/shapechange spells. I have a feeling it may be due to the inherent ability to have more than a single one of such items in a "stack" and the game being able to hold onto specific informtion from them. In theory, it should have worked just like teleport and the gloves, but it doesn't work in practice.
[/quote]

*shakes fist at bioware* Blast! Foiled again!!!

The above "transfer to Limbo" idea, may bear consideration.... while im limbo, the player could engage in the
dialogue and choose a destination in conversation, perhaps just by talking to an NPC or somesuch.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Mister Period Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:37 am

You may very well have fixed the whole deal. I havent run into a problem with it, I was merely
jumping to a conclusion based on what the website had for info about the subraces. If it
is already fixed, then the only change needed is on the website.

It's only the web site that will need changing. Demon-spawn do indeed follow the 'Level+X' progression for SR.

Hopefully this will save you a bit of time AD.
Mister Period
Mister Period
Adventurer
Adventurer

Male Number of posts : 33
Main Character : Geron Milllows
Other Character : Laus Amraphen
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:47 am

Thanks, Mister Period.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Anthroplayer Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:29 pm

Actually the beholder eye ray glitch has existed for a long time for numerous patch versions. I myself have files I use so in single player both my beholder familiar and beholder enemies can properly use all their eye ray attacks.

I must say it makes the beholder familiar more useful and the actual beholders very VERY deadly.
Anthroplayer
Anthroplayer
Aenean Scholar
Aenean Scholar

Male Number of posts : 340
Main Character : Rick Sanneset
Other Character : Arion Bloodbane
Other Character. : Callis Fellfair
Other Character.. : Richard Deathbend
NWN Username : Anthroplayer
Registration date : 2008-07-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Anthroplayer Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:31 pm

In regards to the main topic, there is a shapeshifting script which can be used to allow players to gain the enchantments from the items they wear into their creature hide. This worked best with druids and shifters, but I'm guessing it could also be altered to work with any class that polymorphs.
Anthroplayer
Anthroplayer
Aenean Scholar
Aenean Scholar

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:08 am

Anthroplayer wrote:Actually the beholder eye ray glitch has existed for a long time for numerous patch versions. I myself have files I use so in single player both my beholder familiar and beholder enemies can properly use all their eye ray attacks.

I must say it makes the beholder familiar more useful and the actual beholders very VERY deadly.

Which glitch are you speaking of?
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Anthroplayer Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:10 pm

daveyeisley wrote:
Anthroplayer wrote:Actually the beholder eye ray glitch has existed for a long time for numerous patch versions. I myself have files I use so in single player both my beholder familiar and beholder enemies can properly use all their eye ray attacks.

Which glitch are you speaking of?

I suppose not everyone knew about it even though it existed for a long time?
There are a number of attacks a beholder can do with its eye-stalks, and for some reason bioware coded the things wrong, and as such certain beholder attacks would never be selected, and worse yet, one of the beholder attacks only functioned cosmetically.

I believe someone made a erf that can be imported into modules called the Complete Beholder, its the same as the override except it can be put in modules so everyone there can take advantage (or disadvantage) of beholders. Behold!
Anthroplayer
Anthroplayer
Aenean Scholar
Aenean Scholar

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:17 pm

I believe Amethyst found this and put it in the game.

Beholders are now more deadly than ever.

I still have some gripes, but I've made them known. At this point,
if beholders are more deadly, I would like to see their XP increased.

It was bad enough before when they didn't use all means available to kill me and I still had to deal with 3-6 saves from *each* beholder in the room, and rolling a 1 on 75% of those saves would mean instant death. mathematically, 8 beholders in the room means you are *going* to roll a one on one of the saves at least.

An encounter that can autodispel my defenses and then nearly automatically smoke me unless I get lucky, even as a level 32 character, should probably yield more than 24xp.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down