Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you use this spell? (Illusionary Spell)

5 posters

Go down

Do you use Illusionary Spell?

Do you use this spell? (Illusionary Spell) Vote_lcap0%Do you use this spell? (Illusionary Spell) Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Do you use this spell? (Illusionary Spell) Vote_lcap100%Do you use this spell? (Illusionary Spell) Vote_rcap 100% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 5

Poll closed

Do you use this spell? (Illusionary Spell) Empty Do you use this spell? (Illusionary Spell)

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:03 pm

I'm considering replacing illusionary spell (a spell I've never actually used myself) with a more generic illusion spell that will just fire off a chosen visual effect at the targeted location (call it illusionary explosion or something like that). That way, instead of a complicated script that called up the visual effects of a specific spell (which have been known to change over time), it'll call up a specific visual effect (which remain the same even over many hak updates).

So, is there anyone that really uses illusionary spell and will miss it if it's replaced with another illusion?
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Do you use this spell? (Illusionary Spell) Empty Re: Do you use this spell? (Illusionary Spell)

Post by MannyJabrielle Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:45 pm

I've used it now and then... no, won't miss it being changed. It's purely a RP gimmick, no practical combat application whatso ever, is just makes pretty lights and stuff Smile

Question though... I have illusionary spell one one of my character's custom items. Will it have to be resubmitted to have the new spell, or are you just changing the name/mechanics of the existing spell?
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Do you use this spell? (Illusionary Spell) Empty Re: Do you use this spell? (Illusionary Spell)

Post by Eric of Atrophy Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:58 pm

I never understood the purpose of Illusionary spells ... nor do I understand the purpose of Shadow spells, either. I've never touched the thing, so bon voyage!
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 4112
Main Character : The Vault of Atrophy
NWN Username : atrophied_eric
DM Name : Dungeon Mistress Anaurra Lide
Time Zone : GMT - 10:00 EST (We have our own time zone!)
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Eric_of_Atrophy

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:07 pm

The shadow line of spells are quite handy. For sorcerers, it's like getting several spells for the price of one. The shadow versions of the spells are also illusion school, so if you come across a target that's evocation immune, you can still roast it with the shade's version of fireball.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:23 pm

MannyJabrielle wrote:Question though... I have illusionary spell one one of my character's custom items. Will it have to be resubmitted to have the new spell, or are you just changing the name/mechanics of the existing spell?
No need. If I replace it, items with the cast spell property that use it will get automatically changed to the new spell. Spellbook entries with it will get changed to the new spell. Sorcer spell lists with it will get changed to the new spell (although why a sorcerer would bother with it when they have such a small number of choices, I'd never understand).

Eric of Atrophy wrote:I never understood the purpose of Illusionary spells ... nor do I
understand the purpose of Shadow spells, either.
Shadow spells are partially real, enabling the caster to replicate other spells with raw material pulled from the plane of shadows. They're a bit overpowered in NWN, but that's the game for yah (in PnP, targets of such spells get an extra save to recognize it as an illusion and take partial damage).
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:48 pm

I dont mind illusionary spell being replaced at all.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : Do you use this spell? (Illusionary Spell) Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:59 pm

The Amethyst Dragon wrote:Sorcer spell lists with it will get changed to the new spell (although why a sorcerer would bother with it when they have such a small number of choices, I'd never understand).

Aurora used to have it in her spell list Razz She still has illusionary object in her spell list Razz The limited selection hurts with the higher spell levels, but for an epic sorc with 5 1st level spell slots... not really too much that's useful without being redundant with the rest of one's spell selection.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:58 am

I quite liked Ill spl ... made for some good RP options on a "failed wizzi" .... was also useful just for checking out the visuals of any of the spells....

Would be cool if it could make an illusion of any spell though... so an Ill Spl version of any spell would just fire the visuals ... but other then a little RP, I saw no real combat use for the spell....

ON items the spell seems busted (all 3 Illusion's were last I checked, and would conjure a thrown catapult/boulder).... As mentioned by MJ above they are nice to have in an extended sorc's slots, once higher level versions of lv1 spells are picked... ...

But..meh.... I'm happy with whatever is decided.....
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2271
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
. : Do you use this spell? (Illusionary Spell) Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:50 am

RustyDios, something in your post made me think of a possible way to get illusionary spell to actually fake the visuals for all spells. I'll have to do some testing today to see if the thought works out.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down