Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Several Questions

5 posters

Go down

Several Questions Empty Several Questions

Post by msterswrdsmn Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:27 pm

Just a few questions

1. Are other areas from around the FR settings taken into consideration in Aenea? Areas such as Amn (Spain), Maztica (central America), Kara-Tur (east asia), etc. The though of "traveling" to Aenea rather than being born and raised there is a feasible backstory, but I wasn't quite sure if the other areas of FR were taken into consideration.

2. Would it be possible to have a character worship multiple dieties from a roleplay sense? Not necessarily mechanically, but say...a character that, while worshipping one god, still pays homage to another due to similar personal beliefs/ideals/whatnot. Obviously, a CE character paying homage to say..Dalix would be bad, but...

3. Just what are the exact alignments of the dieties and the expected alignment of their followers? I looked over what was posted on the forums, and I had a hard time determining the expected alignment of some of them. For example, I had no idea Harcorth, for example, was considered to be one of the 3 evil gods until I got one of those in-game notices during an area transition. I almost did choose harcorth as a deity for me neutral-to-chaotic good aligned character due to the sea/water relation, not knowing he was considered evil and probably expects his followers to follow suite.
msterswrdsmn
msterswrdsmn
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Male Number of posts : 103
Main Character : Sei
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Several Questions Empty Re: Several Questions

Post by daveyeisley Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:30 pm

Great questions. i wish I could help, but the Pantheon is The Amethyst Dragon's creation, and he is the only authority there is on it...
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : Several Questions Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by msterswrdsmn Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:33 pm

Actually, that reminds me of another quesiton. I noticed a lot of the dieities in aenea (harcorth, dalix, jewel, lysis, mystara) had other FR parallels (umberlee, torm, sune, tymora, mystra, for example). Was this intentional? And if it was, can I assume the alignment/dogma/whatnot carried over as well?
msterswrdsmn
msterswrdsmn
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:26 pm

Aenea is a completely different world than the Forgotten Realms, so those FR areas have no connection to this PW. Every once in a while, I still find an item in-game with a FR-specific detail, but I'm trying to get rid of those.

Sure, a character can pay homage to more than one deity. Most people do. They have only one main patron deity that they identify with, but they know that the other gods control other aspects of their lives. While a CE person probably wouldn't want anything to do with Dalix, a LE person that places a high value on honor would chose to focus on only that aspect of her influence.

Harcorth, while evil and selfish, is still the god of the seas. Sailors, fishermen, travelers, shipbuilders, undersea races of all sorts...they all send prayers his way when they want to benefit from the seas (or at least, hope to avoid something bad happening to them while dealing with the sea). Some of his followers chose to focus more on what he controls, rather than his personality.

In general, when it comes to a deity's alignment, clerics have the most to be concerned about, since they are chosing to devote themselves to that deity. Sorgath and Ragnor are just incredibly evil, so they are only chosen as patrons by those that want to follow in their ways...although...a professional politician (who lies all the time) might follow that aspect of Sorgath without all the murder and poison stuff, and someone just plain insane might follow Ragnor (since Mr. R is the god of insanity).

As far as Aenea vs. FR gods areas of influence...purely coincidence. I sat down one afternoon (many years ago) thinking "gee, this world needs some gods for the clerics to worship" and figured 20 was a good number. Thought of the four elemental gods, came up with one for paladins, a god of nature (for rangers and druids), a god of healing/life, a god of death, a god of war, a god for bards, a god of luck, a god of the seas (as an off-shoot of water, but more specific), etc. Within a couple of hours, I had fleshed out all 20 deities, and by chance 1/2 were female and 1/2 were male. The names either came from words at least slightly related to their areas of influence (Aquar, Terris, Conflagral, Typhis, Mystara, Jewel) or were just made up on the spot (all the rest).

So really, there is nothing to carry over from the FR deities. I'd like to get rid of that one voice set line that mentions "Mystra", but I really can't, since that's part of character creation before you even get into the game.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:33 pm

Also to further The Amethyst Dragon's points on his own dieties (and I'm shocked he didn't direct ye there himself).. jis website about Aenea has some great pointers on the dieties, thier dogma, followers, cleric powers... not to mention the website is agreat source for Information on the world in general.... ...

To the Gods..!!
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2271
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
. : Several Questions Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by msterswrdsmn Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:44 pm

Hmm...one follow up question then.

If other FR areas are ignored, how exactly would we go about playing characters of different ethnicity or whatnot? Sei, for example, was originally going to be a kara-turren wandered that happend to come across Aenea. Since other FR areas are excluded, how would I got about revising this? Would I just happen to leave out kara-tur and replace it with "far off lands" or whatnot? Or would I have to completely redo the character, as other ethnicities are completely unsupported?
msterswrdsmn
msterswrdsmn
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Back to top Go down

Post by DerusTal Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:48 pm

Also. Would it be frowned upon if characters took it upon themselves to define and refine the worship of certain gods?

I mean like, a paladin writing his thoughts on the worship and purpose of Dalix, and putting it somewhere public. Sort of~ like a holy book, I suppose?
DerusTal
DerusTal
Worldly Guide
Worldly Guide

Number of posts : 270
Main Character : Mathian Derou
NWN Username : samanuske
Registration date : 2008-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:53 pm

Sei could be from "another land", as there are other continents (that I do not plan on building, such as a generic "east asian" land)...perhaps call it simply "lands beyond the Sun Sea" (aka far to the east). How you got to the main continent...up to you (maybe you arrived on a ship at Macedone, maybe you got pushed through an unknown Wanderer's Portal, maybe you got in a disagreement with a wizard and he just teleported you there instead of having to deal with you further...).

In a world of magic, there can be any number of "ethnicities" to account for appearance and background. After all, the techniques of monks had to develop somewhere...
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:10 pm

DerusTal wrote:Also. Would it be frowned upon if characters took it upon themselves to define and refine the worship of certain gods?

I mean like, a paladin writing his thoughts on the worship and purpose of Dalix, and putting it somewhere public. Sort of~ like a holy book, I suppose?
Not frowned upon at all. All you have to keep in mind is Dalix = honor, protection of the weak, and "generic good". She's not a very empathetic goddess, just very devoted to her duties.

Several Questions Avatar_dalix<-------Avatar of Dalix
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level