Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not Used: Custom Item Description Contest

+2
MannyJabrielle
Enterprise2001
6 posters

Go down

Not Used: Custom Item Description Contest Empty Not Used: Custom Item Description Contest

Post by Enterprise2001 Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:36 pm

This has come from a couple of discussions with The Amethyst Dragon about custom items and how he really likes it when players take the time to write descriptions, but many times they just slap on the properties they think will make them "pwn" and send it in. Laughing

I suggested that players should be rewarded for taking the time and energy to write well-thought out item descriptions, and he more or less agreed, but said it would be arbitrary and unfair since the judging would be solely his own opinion. I see his point, so here's my suggestion:

Once a month or so, The Amethyst Dragon and the rest of the DMs put up some kind of in-game reward and request submissions of custom items for judging by the community. This way, it's fair, more or less, and players have the opportunity to get rewarded for putting some thought into their custom items. (Not to mention the rest of us get to see some of those awesome items we normally only get to see the name of in system messages. Very Happy ) There could even be categories, like best "theme," if there were a lot of submissions. Rewards could be soul gems, BoMs, elemental crystals, or even something like a 1k gp voucher to add on to the winning item to tweak or enhance it as the player desires.

For those of you who disagree with me, you will expose yourselves as the "slap and go" kind of custom item maker. Laughing Shame on you!
Enterprise2001
Enterprise2001
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Male Number of posts : 187
Main Character : Liam Hillbender, pure epic druid
Time Zone : Eastern USA (GMT -05:00)
Registration date : 2008-12-21

Back to top Go down

Not Used: Custom Item Description Contest Empty Re: Not Used: Custom Item Description Contest

Post by MannyJabrielle Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:25 pm

Hehe, I got one "slap and go" item... because well... It's Alex's head, not a helmet or mask Smile

As for posting of item descriptions, I started a thread in the IC forum, nobody else has shared yet though Sad
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Not Used: Custom Item Description Contest Empty Re: Not Used: Custom Item Description Contest

Post by RustyDios Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:54 pm

Getting round to your thread MJ.... but you put up such a good front page I'm trying to do similiar.... Smile... And this sounds like a good idea too... but .. well .... some people like to just be "slap and go", due to any number of reasons... lack of time... lack of imagination... lack of Aenean Hisory.. PC background.....

It doesn't really bother me, all my custom items have descriptions, some I worked hard on, some I didn't, most involve how the item got it properties or where it was found, or something that says... "This Is Mine"........
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2271
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
. : Not Used: Custom Item Description Contest Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Enterprise2001 Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:29 pm

MannyJabrielle wrote:Hehe, I got one "slap and go" item... because well... It's Alex's head, not a helmet or mask Smile

As for posting of item descriptions, I started a thread in the IC forum, nobody else has shared yet though Sad

I will get to your thread shortly... Patience... Very Happy I was working on 2 custom items for about 3 weeks (off and on...), but had a massive attack of dyslexia. It went undetected for another week because The Amethyst Dragon was busy with RL... I just got them this morning and haven't had time to get beautify shots of them yet... Smile
Enterprise2001
Enterprise2001
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Back to top Go down

Post by Enterprise2001 Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:32 pm

RustyDios wrote:Getting round to your thread MJ.... but you put up such a good front page I'm trying to do similiar.... Smile... And this sounds like a good idea too... but .. well .... some people like to just be "slap and go", due to any number of reasons... lack of time... lack of imagination... lack of Aenean Hisory.. PC background.....

It doesn't really bother me, all my custom items have descriptions, some I worked hard on, some I didn't, most involve how the item got it properties or where it was found, or something that says... "This Is Mine"........

I totally understand people going the "slap and go" route, it doesn't really bother me either. What bothers me a little is that there are those of us out there that took time, energy, and significant thought with our custom items, but we don't get anything out of it except a personal sense of accomplishment. With the contest, we'd get a chance to show off our well-thought out items AND have the opportunity to get something in-game for it too. Very Happy How is that not a good thing?
Enterprise2001
Enterprise2001
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:46 pm

Its a good idea. Honestly.

I just havent had time to play enough, much less go in and take the screenshots I need to, or edit or post anything on my custom items.

Its taking up most of the tiem I do have just to keep current on the forums, and when I do get to log in, I usually end up sepnding some time doing DM stuff for folks... so persuing these threads, while a great idea, it not an option currently. I will get to it in time, I am sure.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : Not Used: Custom Item Description Contest Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Anthroplayer Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:52 am

Sounds quite nice.
Anthroplayer
Anthroplayer
Aenean Scholar
Aenean Scholar

Male Number of posts : 340
Main Character : Rick Sanneset
Other Character : Arion Bloodbane
Other Character. : Callis Fellfair
Other Character.. : Richard Deathbend
NWN Username : Anthroplayer
Registration date : 2008-07-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:48 pm

Could this idea possibly fit in here? (Character Recognition Awards, in case y'all were wondering...)
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 4112
Main Character : The Vault of Atrophy
NWN Username : atrophied_eric
DM Name : Dungeon Mistress Anaurra Lide
Time Zone : GMT - 10:00 EST (We have our own time zone!)
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Eric_of_Atrophy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down