Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not Used: Check for resistance before environ. damage?

4 posters

Go down

Not Used: Check for resistance before environ. damage? Empty Not Used: Check for resistance before environ. damage?

Post by Calzier Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:41 pm

Hi,

Perhaps look at tweaking the coding to check for energy resistance before applying the 'it's cold, get a cloak' or 'it's hot, your feet are scorching' damage/effect/feedback text.

Maybe the easiest way to check (without having to cycle though all effects looking for the right one - if there's not a faster way - would be to run the code as is, have a simple check to see if hp have changed, and if not (because the PC has appropriate resistance, however granted), then don't play the feedback text?

Cal.
Calzier
Calzier
Adventurer
Adventurer

Number of posts : 40
Main Character : Azir Samand
Time Zone : GMT/GMT+1
Registration date : 2008-08-17

Back to top Go down

Not Used: Check for resistance before environ. damage? Empty Re: Not Used: Check for resistance before environ. damage?

Post by Ra Cha Chongo Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:18 am

I like this one; it makes sense to me that a Ring of Warmth should negate the need for a cloak (though I suppose that specific example might, it was just the first one I thought of being still half asleep lol).

Would also be nice to have a check to see if the PC is polymorphed, since clothing items are "removed" when you change shape (even if the effects stay). And even if they didn't have a cloak, now they're a bear/ elemental/ dragon/ etc., and physically well suited to running around naked Smile
Ra Cha Chongo
Ra Cha Chongo
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Number of posts : 413
Main Character : Vizzini The Inconceivable
Other Character : Jinx
Other Character. : Whichever one I happen to be playing at the moment; I think it's mostly been Vinzer lately
Time Zone : EST (GMT - 5:00)
Registration date : 2009-02-07

Back to top Go down

Not Used: Check for resistance before environ. damage? Empty Re: Not Used: Check for resistance before environ. damage?

Post by daveyeisley Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:42 pm

Agreed 100%
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : Not Used: Check for resistance before environ. damage? Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:07 am

I looked into this. Unfortunately, scripting does not provide a way to check specifically for fire or cold resistance before attempting to apply such damage...and once it's applied, the feedback is automatic. I could make it check every equipped item in every equipment slot for specific item properties for every PC every round...but that wouldn't take into account effects from spells and feats and would add a lot more overhead. I think it best just to leave it for now letting you know you're taking 0 damage instead of suffering.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down