Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Radu King's Launcher (A Desktop Dock tool)

3 posters

Go down

Radu King's Launcher (A Desktop Dock tool) Empty Radu King's Launcher (A Desktop Dock tool)

Post by Alundaio Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:29 pm

-----RK Launcher-----

I've decided to share this program I found. I spent quite a few hours configuring it and making my own icons to use with it. After finding a lack of documentation and a seemlingly dead forum. I had to learn it's use on my own. So in order to help in sharing this beautiful application, I wrote this small, crappy guide...

In this Guide I will tell you how to properly use Radu King's Launcher and the multiple uses for it.

OVERVIEW:
This program is basically a dock tool. What this means it that it works similar to how your taskbar works. But you get to choose what applications are launched from the icons. So it's basically a combination between desktop shortcuts and the Taskbar. There are actually quite a few dock tools out there. Some require you to pay for them. But this one is by far the best free one available, even though it's creator took a leave of absence and it never seen light out of beta.

INSTALLATION:
Download from the link above and extract INSIDE a newly created folder on your desktop. It does not come as an installer. I'll explain later why this is a good thing, other then the obvious (No hidden spyware/adware installed, etc). As with everything you download from the Internet you should scan it to be safe, anyway.

I highly recommend you download Stacks Docklet. Place this in "%RK Launcher folder%\docklets" I'll tell you how to use it later.

Note:
  • In order to run multiple instances of this application. You will need to create/copy the folder.

RK LAUNCHER:

Run the Application. You should see the vanilla dock bar.
Radu King's Launcher (A Desktop Dock tool) Rkl10

It's time to start deciding what you want to do. You can use multiple instances each acting as either just like your basic desktop shortcuts or completely replacing your Taskbar.
Sadly though, you can't choose the exact location of the dock but you do have quite few choices on where it docks (Up-Left, Up-Center, Up-Right, Left-Top, Left-Center, Left-Bottom, etc.)

Radu King's Launcher (A Desktop Dock tool) Rkl210
Locate the separator Icon on the dock bar. It's a simple vertical line next to the Control Panel icon. Right-Click on the separator and open settings.

Notes:
  • You must always have at least one separator to be able to access this menu.
  • Left-Click once to launch the icon. Double-Click to drag.
  • You can drag-n-drop shortcuts to the dock bar. Even delete the unwanted ones.
  • Right-Click on an icon to edit it's properties.

SETTINGS:
Here you can mess with the various settings and tweak it to your pleasure. Not going to explain every feature, but I'll tell you the important ones.

Behavior -> Dock Control

• Automatically Hide: Just like the taskbar it will only appear when you hover the mouse cursor over it's "Margin Hotspot".
  • Always On-top: Self-explanatory
  • Use Margin Hotspot: If this is enabled, it will put dock in focus whether or not Always On-Top is enabled. The Hotspot is usually the very edge of the screen where the bar is docked. This is good if you want it to act as a taskbar or a quick-launch bar.
  • Never Take Focus: It will always appear Behind the window that is currently in focus.
  • Locked Add/Delete/Drag: This is good to enable once you get the dock bar set up to the way you want it. It will prevent you from accidentally adding or deleting icons.
  • Save Changes On-Exit: Whatever you added/deleted and it's configuration will be remembered for next start-up.
  • Save Items On-Exit: Only added/deleted items NOT changed settings, will be remembered.
  • Save Items On-Change: It will save every single time something is changed.
  • Minimize to RK Launcher: This is a nice feature. Enabled, all applications that are minimized will minimize to the launcher. Disable this if you want it to act like a shortcuts bar.
  • Show New Applications: All newly installed applications will be added to the dock on their first start-up.
  • Hide the Taskbar: Self-explanatory

Exclusions -> Applications
All listed applications will never (According to the Type you select) be Shown/Minimized to/ or display an Icon.

DOCKLETS:

Remember that docklet I recommended. If you downloaded it, here is what it does and how to use it.

Right-Click the separator on the dock bar. Click Add Docklet. Select Type: ObjectDock. If it was properly placed inside the docklet folder you should now
see "Stack Docklet" in the list. Now click add docklet. Go back to the dock and Right-Click the StackDocklet icon.

Now you can point this to a folder that has anything in it. It can be shortcuts too. This is useful if you want it to list subdirectories of a folder. Or to display all your shortcuts for a certain type. For example, I have one that lists the shortcuts to all the games installed on my computer.

VARIOUS TIPS:

1. You can move the position of the icons by draging them anywhere within the Dock bar.

2. You can change an Icons appearance and Launch link.

3. If pointing the launch link directly to an application and not a shortcut, you must provide that applications working directory.

4. Docklets, such as the recycle bin will be removed if you try to move their position as said above. To place them specifically where you want go to the RK folder and edit the Itemlist.conf.
    Find the specific dock item and cut-n-paste it to the location you want it to be.

5. The recycle bin icon on the vanilla bar is actually a docklet. To add this feature if it was removed you have to add it as a docklet. The icons must be named TrashFull.png and TrashEmpty.png (I think...)

6. The more docklets you have added, the longer it will take the dock bar to load.

7. In order to run this application at startup you need to place a short-cut to RK Launcher into your startup folder. Startup is usually located in Start -> All Programs.

8. Like I stated previously, you can create multiple folders of RK Launcher and have them each configured their own way. For example, You can use a dock on the Left-Side that has all your basic short-cuts
    (My Computer, My Documents, Network, etc) and make it Hide Automatically. This way it will give you tons more space on your Desktop for other things.

9. Using higher resolution Images usually provide a better magnification result.

10. To add more separators in a specific location in the Dock bar, you must manually add them into the itemlist.conf
    Code:
    [RKDockItem]
    type = separator
    show = normal

LINKS:

Addons-- These are addons for another dock bar application. Most docklets should be compatiable with RK Launcher. You can also
find various icon packs and backgrounds here too. You do however have to create your own Theme.conf if you want to use the backgrounds. As they are not completely configured for RK Launcher.

Icon archive-- Here you can find almost any icon imaginable to get that look you've always wanted.

Well, I hope you found this application and my guide useful if you have decided to use RK Launcher. Very Happy
Alundaio
Alundaio
Aenean Scholar
Aenean Scholar

Male Number of posts : 372
Main Character : Alundaio
Time Zone : GMT-04:00 (EST)
. : Radu King's Launcher (A Desktop Dock tool) Forum_donor
Registration date : 2009-09-14

Back to top Go down

Radu King's Launcher (A Desktop Dock tool) Empty Re: Radu King's Launcher (A Desktop Dock tool)

Post by daveyeisley Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:17 pm

looks pretty awesome, i will probly check it out when i have time to set it up properly. Thank alundaio!
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Radu King's Launcher (A Desktop Dock tool) Empty Re: Radu King's Launcher (A Desktop Dock tool)

Post by Alundaio Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:14 pm

Welcome. I'll admit that it does take awhile to customize it to your very liking (If you decide to not use default icons). But once you do, you'll love it.
Alundaio
Alundaio
Aenean Scholar
Aenean Scholar

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:53 pm

What OS will this sexy beast work with?
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 4112
Main Character : The Vault of Atrophy
NWN Username : atrophied_eric
DM Name : Dungeon Mistress Anaurra Lide
Time Zone : GMT - 10:00 EST (We have our own time zone!)
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Eric_of_Atrophy

Back to top Go down

Post by Alundaio Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:00 am

Should work for any Windows version.
Alundaio
Alundaio
Aenean Scholar
Aenean Scholar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down