Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not Used: New Feat Idea: Slayer of Enemies

+2
MannyJabrielle
RustyDios
6 posters

Go down

Not Used: New Feat Idea: Slayer of Enemies Empty Not Used: New Feat Idea: Slayer of Enemies

Post by RustyDios Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:31 pm

New Feat Idea: Slayer of Enemies
Type : Ranger Epic Bonus
PreReqs : Favoured Enemy XXX , Bane of Enemies, (possibly a High WIS 15-20+ score too)

Idea: When used this feat will turn the targeted weapon (or held weapon of the target creature) into a powerful item to outright slay the favoured enemies of the ranger. The ranger can use this feat on himself to instantly get the most from his weapon against his favoured foes, he can take some time on how to teach others to make the utmost use of their weapons too.

Mechanics:
When used on a weapon or creature this feat bestows the weapon (or held weapon of the creature) with a temporary properties of "OnHit :Slay CreatureXXX DC14", where xxx is all of the rangers current Favoured Enemies ((~not sure this can be referenced in game ?? ~)).
The time taken to "cast" should be medium-to long for anybody else (the time taken to carefully explain how to stab/thrust/twist and where to stab/thrust/twist) bar on the ranger himself (for him it's a case of remembering his experience//training techniques to the fullest), but the property should remain until either server reset, or the item is bartered/sold/removed (maybe not removed ~ case:dual wielders) ... Thus with time to prepare, a ranger could help all his party to hunt a powerful group of orcs/demons/beholders for example... maybe it would be best applied as a "Word of Recall" style party-wide thing, with a "Mass Sacrifice" style delay .... .... I'm not too hot on the mechanics, but I think the idea is good....

Uses: TBA (Possibly 5/day, thus allowing a Ranger and a party of four if the use is single use~single target)...

Imagine what a group of differently focused rangers could cut through if they all helped each other .... ... ...

What do you guys think ? And please help me out with some of the mechanics stuff of how this could work, fairly ... ?
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2271
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
. : Not Used: New Feat Idea: Slayer of Enemies Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Not Used: New Feat Idea: Slayer of Enemies Empty Re: Not Used: New Feat Idea: Slayer of Enemies

Post by MannyJabrielle Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:56 pm

I like it, but I think perhaps a duration rather than permanent until reset... especially with a high level ranger with 20 favored enemies (which will cover 90% of all the baddies currently found in Aenea). On-hit slay is an extremely powerful property, even with DC 14.

Perhaps for the party benefit, it could be an AoE aura around the ranger, where the party has to stay close enough to hear the ranger's directions to make use of the ability.

Creature lore would make sense as a requisite feat too.

MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Not Used: New Feat Idea: Slayer of Enemies Empty Re: Not Used: New Feat Idea: Slayer of Enemies

Post by uriel1996 Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:59 pm

What's funny is that I was thinking about the NWN2 prestige class Doomgide 10 minutes ago, and how any weapon they hold become a disruption weapon - and I was thinking how something like that could work for epic rangers given some *heafty* pre-reqs.

Anyways, if it was handled with a few hoops to jump through it could make for a nifty signature feat.
uriel1996
uriel1996
Adventurer
Adventurer

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2011-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:57 pm

MannyJabrielle wrote:I like it, but I think perhaps a duration rather than permanent until reset... especially with a high level ranger with 20 favored enemies (which will cover 90% of all the baddies currently found in Aenea). On-hit slay is an extremely powerful property, even with DC 14.

Okay.. agreed, maybe a duration would be better...

Perhaps for the party benefit, it could be an AoE aura around the ranger, where the party has to stay close enough to hear the ranger's directions to make use of the ability.

I like the idea of this but adding/removing a temp prop from the players weapons as they enter/exit the aura might require some very nifty scripting (which I'm sure The Amethyst Dragon would accomplish) but it might make things extremely laggy as it would have to likely cycle through all creatures in the aura, friend or foe... I was kinda aiming at a use similar to the various current weapon augmentation spells (things like flame weapon/ shivani's blades)...

Creature lore would make sense as a requisite feat too.

Ooohhh.... good one, completely forgot about that one... would tie in very nicely to this feat, and make it even more rare...

A side-note ... Creature Lore isn't in the list of additional feats on the webpage, plus I think the page should list the pre-req's for the new Aenea feats (such as fast healing etc..)
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Vagabond Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:03 pm

You cant really have more than one OnHit property on a weapon at one time. NWN doesn't handle it correctly, if at all. I could be wrong, but I think only one fires, regardless of what's listed, I think the combat engine only fires one, assuming you can even apply more than one.
A_Vagabond
A_Vagabond
Worldly Guide
Worldly Guide

Female Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:15 pm

A_Vagabond wrote:You cant really have more than one OnHit property on a weapon at one time. NWN doesn't handle it correctly, if at all. I could be wrong, but I think only one fires, regardless of what's listed, I think the combat engine only fires one, assuming you can even apply more than one.

Good point.... can we test this somehow ?
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:25 pm

That is true, only one will fire off at a time. But if I recall correctly, I had no trouble with vorpal and wounding on the same weapon... Vorpal would fire off on crits, wounding on everything else.

I'll test later with one of my casters (who have beheading blade and wounding blade spells)... I should be able to find a weapon with third on-hit property to play around with.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr T Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:22 am

Hello everyone! I'm new here, excellent world by the by. I think this is a great idea as I've seen plenty of caster modification but little for meleers. I have leveled epic rangers before just not on Aenea. Incidently I was thinking of posting something just like this.

Good points to the suggestion:
1) Excellent RP vibe and synergy with FE, BoE and creature lore.
2) Gives rangers a bit more combat oomph.

Possible improvements:
1) Duration ought to be short (rnd/ranger lvl).
Possibly with multiple uses per day (around 3). This would mean it would rationed for tough fights rather than a constantly ''on'' ability used against mooks.

2) This one is controversial but I feel it should not be a party wide benefit.
The ranger isn't a bard or a party buffer. Additionally you would need epic ranger levels, BoE, FE and potentislly creature lore to get this. It should be ranger only. If it must be party wide give a weaker FE type effect +X damage, +X ab.

3) Even more controversially the save DC.
At DC14 and firing on every attack you are essentially ''fishing for one's'' ie most creatures only failing on a one. This is perfectly valid but lacks a certain epic feel. If the DC were to be increased to say DC10 + 1/2ranger lvl + wis mod, it is much more likely to work. However it will require counter checks of even shorter duration or only firing once per round or even both.

Whichever way it goes it is a great idea.

PS wis mod was chosen as 1) feels closest to the idea behind slayer of enemies being knowledge of creatures, 2) it keeps dex and strength rangers balanced against each other and 3) if it was str it would synergise too well with dev crit.

Mr T
Mr T
Commoner
Commoner

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:58 am

I like the general intent. Mechanically, I think duration is good, maybe long enough to last through a single adventure.

As for the effect, I think the slay effect should only work for the ranger themself, as only they would have spent the time and training to learn how to fully take advantage of the information and knowledge the feat represents. If a party benefit is added, which would be totally cool, it should be bonus damage and/or attack bonuses.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down