Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Used: Gate spell( not the demon summon one) [teleportation circle]

5 posters

Go down

Used: Gate spell( not the demon summon one) [teleportation circle] Empty Used: Gate spell( not the demon summon one) [teleportation circle]

Post by Kefrem Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:26 pm

i had a thought the other day....ad you have that awesome stargate portals you use for the players for world travel. But this popped into my head. We got mage hound...summon ally and teleport but what ive never seen was a gateway spell. Like when i wizard casts a spell opens a wormhole in space and steps thru.

You could make just the graphic of the glowing spinning thing appear as a cliky which anyone could clik and have it pull its locations from the pre-existing teleport list/set system.
Kefrem
Kefrem
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Male Number of posts : 755
Main Character : Ignatius and Sykee
Other Character : Shi'ssar
Other Character. : Spyder
Other Character.. : Tarn
NWN Username : Kefremthemagus
Registration date : 2008-10-06

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/costume.php?mode=view&c=688&bu=

Back to top Go down

Used: Gate spell( not the demon summon one) [teleportation circle] Empty Re: Used: Gate spell( not the demon summon one) [teleportation circle]

Post by RustyDios Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:56 am

So you want like a "mass teleport" type spell ?
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2271
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
. : Used: Gate spell( not the demon summon one) [teleportation circle] Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Used: Gate spell( not the demon summon one) [teleportation circle] Empty Re: Used: Gate spell( not the demon summon one) [teleportation circle]

Post by Elhanan Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:31 am

Sounds a bit like Dimension Door in practice, which may already be covered by Transference in Aenea; just w/o a door effect.
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1781
Main Character : Aargyle McJagger
Other Character : Barnabas Bottlebottom
Other Character. : Aarn, Aerik McJagger
Other Character.. : Azar; Briar Ironwood
NWN Username : Elhanan the Ancient One
Time Zone : Central USA
. : Used: Gate spell( not the demon summon one) [teleportation circle] Forum_donor
Registration date : 2009-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:18 pm

Sounds to me like teleportation circle, something I've been thinking about. The trouble is I want to make it a trigger you step into, rather than a placeable you click on and "use"...and I'm still trying to work out a way to create a circular trigger via scripting. I think there's a NWNX plugin or function for something like that, but I haven't had time to delve into it too deeply.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:17 pm

Does the coding for the Glyph of Warding have anything in it for creating a circle-trigger type thingi ?... IIRC this spell sets a big circular visual and the spell triggers when someone walks into that circle ?

From the wiki wrote:
Custom content notes

impact script: X2_S0_GlphWard.nss
OnEnter script: X2_S0_GlphWardA.nss
placeable: x2_plc_glyph (Glyph of Warding)
OnHearbeat script: x2_o0_glyphhb.nss
OnUserDefined script: x2_o0_glyphude.nss
secondary impact script: x2_s0_glphwardx.nss (spell 764)

From the Lexicon, inspiration for the line of thought wrote:
Used: Gate spell( not the demon summon one) [teleportation circle] Glyph10

There seems to be alot of stuff in the scripts dealing with a placeable object though, and creating a "sphere-of-influence" around the object... using a heatbeat script to check when something enters that sphere... and casting a spellscript linked to when something enters the sphere... ... ... I'm not sure if you could adapt it to instead use a sphere fixed on a targeted location (ie with no actual placeable object created) and anchor all the visuals/scripts/areaofeffect to that spot too ?

Although making it create an actual trigger would likely remove the requirement for a heatbeat script...

Sounds interesting... would it be new lv9 spell ?... I think going on that teleport is lv5 (and summon ally is lv6) and most "mass" spells are 3-4 levels higher then their singular counterparts this would seem a logical choice...
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe

Back to top Go down

Post by Kefrem Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:41 pm

Actually what i was tryin to portray(i suck with expressing myself in text) was when you cast the spell it spawns in a cliky...like how the murlynds spoon works with the box....and anyone could clik it and it would take them to where ever it was set.

with the spoon...a box appears...you clik it and it opens...same mechanic just a different effect. youd just be clikin a spinning graphic is all and it just sends ya somewhere.

you could still use the existing ;;tp set xx and ;;tp xx as a coordinate system as a wizard couldnt open a portal to just anywhere. What this *would* do is allow others to clik it and go where the wizard went without the wizzy having to burn 5 summon ally spells to get his party there.
Kefrem
Kefrem
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Male Number of posts : 755
Main Character : Ignatius and Sykee
Other Character : Shi'ssar
Other Character. : Spyder
Other Character.. : Tarn
NWN Username : Kefremthemagus
Registration date : 2008-10-06

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/costume.php?mode=view&c=688&bu=

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel of Death Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:03 pm

Kefrem wrote:Actually what i was tryin to portray(i suck with expressing myself in text) was when you cast the spell it spawns in a cliky...like how the murlynds spoon works with the box....and anyone could clik it and it would take them to where ever it was set.

with the spoon...a box appears...you clik it and it opens...same mechanic just a different effect. youd just be clikin a spinning graphic is all and it just sends ya somewhere.

you could still use the existing ;;tp set xx and ;;tp xx as a coordinate system as a wizard couldnt open a portal to just anywhere. What this *would* do is allow others to clik it and go where the wizard went without the wizzy having to burn 5 summon ally spells to get his party there.

I think I can see what your trying to get across; BUT it still sounds to me like a Teleportation Circle spell like The Amethyst Dragon pointed out above. Smile

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/teleportationCircle.htm
Angel of Death
Angel of Death
Epic Level
Epic Level

Number of posts : 1132
Main Character : CĂ©lestin Chevalier; Knight Champion of Dalix. Protector of the Innocent. Slayer of Evil.
Other Character : Angelique Nightstar; Arcane Archer.
Personal Quote: "The way of the bow is simplicity and beauty combined with power and discipline."
Other Character. : Bruce Li; Wanderer and Practitioner of the Dragon Paw Style. & Cherry; Starchild of Jewel n' Chancetaker of Lysis.
Other Character.. : Anna, Weaver of Illusions. - You can read about all of them following this link to their Biographies! =)
NWN Username : I await You in the End
Time Zone : Central European Timezone
Registration date : 2010-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:32 pm

Yeah that's what I was thinking too.. obviously not good at expressing my ideas either.. I was trying to think of a way to do it... but if it's just for your current party to teleport to a place that you have memorised then could it not piggyback off of the cleric Word of Recall (WoR) spell, except instead of the location being the fixed grove in VV, be set by the current casters selected tp slot ? ....

If it does end up being similar to an "non-fixed" WoR... then could I also suggest it not be limited to Sor/Wiz lv 9 but also be made available to Clr/Drd lv 9 ((possibly with the limits set for clerics of Gort~Travel~)).. as the spell would then seem like a progression of the Summon Ally and WoR lines which Clr/Drd already get ((and Clerics of Gort have teleport as a granted spell at lv14 ))... ... ...
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:16 pm

The next time there's a hak update, the teleportation circle spell will be added.

It's a 9th level Sor/Wiz spell that uses the existing teleport VC commands for setting the destination (currently set teleport destination becomes the destination for the circle).

The spell does have an extra long casting time (2 rounds), but lasts 10 minutes per caster level...still shorter casting than using teleport, followed by multiple summon ally spells to get a party to the same destination. The PnP version's casting time is 10 minutes...I think 2 rounds in NWN is reasonable.

Any creature stepping into the circle is instantly teleported to the destination. Enemies of the caster don't get a saving throw, but their spell resistance applies.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down