Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weapons grater than +3? Anything for a 20+?

+8
The Amethyst Dragon
Belarric
daveyeisley
Kefrem
Angel of Death
RustyDios
Elhanan
DPLincoln
12 posters

Go down

Weapons grater than +3?  Anything for a 20+? Empty Weapons grater than +3? Anything for a 20+?

Post by DPLincoln Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:39 pm

I've been bouncing around various cities and towns looking for a rapier greater than +3. I'm guessing the only way to get to +5 is to have 20 Blood of Magic for each sword (dual-wield), so 40 BoMs.

Armor and such: I'm wearing level 8 rogue gear on a level 24 toon. So far, I've yet to find any gear anywhere greater than this. Now, either I'm not reaching the right places or it doesn't exist and I have to gather a ton of materials to turn a pig into princess. Which is it? I just don't want to spend the next 18 months gathering mats... part of the reason I left WoW was the incessant farming for minor upgrades. I don't mind traveling for upgrades, as I just spent 5 hours wandering the Orc lands from one end to the other. However, I do think it's silly I'm sitting in beginner gear fighting elder dragons and doing 15 points of damage versus their 35-50 a hit. I'm trying not to let frustration set in to this as I'm sure there's a solution I'm missing being so new to the server. Thanks for the help.

Elemental stones... does anyone actually sell these? I've been to all but 3 provinces in the world and still haven't found a vendor of even limited supply. Or even good drops off of mobs. Suggestions?
DPLincoln
DPLincoln
Prolific Scribe
Prolific Scribe

Male Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2012-03-15

Back to top Go down

Weapons grater than +3?  Anything for a 20+? Empty Re: Weapons grater than +3? Anything for a 20+?

Post by Elhanan Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:19 pm

For an increase to +5, one will need 50 BoM's; same for armor.

There is a fairly wide variety of Light Armor and Clothing around the world, but it would depend on what you were looking for as enchantments to offer advise. How light are you wanting it to be?

A few elemental gems can be obtained a shop or two, but for larger sources, the Umber Hulks, Lava Elves, and Beholders are often a major supplier.

And FWIW, the best gear you may obtain is via Reward Vouchers for time spent in game; you tailor make items based on criteria set forth by The Amethyst Dragon posted on the Forums, and then he will add it into the game for you.

See here:

https://aenea.aforumfree.com/t9-player-reward-items
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1781
Main Character : Aargyle McJagger
Other Character : Barnabas Bottlebottom
Other Character. : Aarn, Aerik McJagger
Other Character.. : Azar; Briar Ironwood
NWN Username : Elhanan the Ancient One
Time Zone : Central USA
. : Weapons grater than +3?  Anything for a 20+? Forum_donor
Registration date : 2009-06-23

Back to top Go down

Weapons grater than +3?  Anything for a 20+? Empty Re: Weapons grater than +3? Anything for a 20+?

Post by RustyDios Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:25 pm

For decent rapiers I would keep an eye open in Entroms for the Elven Smoke blade, the Ruby claw and the Sapphire claw.... I'm not sure of the powers they have off-hand but recall these being particularly good blades... you also have the option of choosing to take and use a custom item voucher to design your own..... and for dual-weild you'll need 100 Blood of Magic to get two blades to +5 using the forge of Forge. (and another 50 to get your Armour bonus to +5 too)... ...

Armour and such; there are a myriad of custom armours out there in the world for you to find, both in shops and as loot drops. I suggest you go lich hunting in Calithia's Burning Sands... .. ..

Elemental Stones... nope, can't think of ANY store the world over that actually sells ALL of these BUT you can get an acid one from the gem seller in Macedone, a fire one in the Fire Beetle Cave at plainscross (not sure this is still there actually!), an ice/cold one from the Frost Giants of Icereach, and a Sonic one from a chest in Alatha... also go fight some Lava Elves in the Sunset Cauldron or the beholders in the underdark, which drop plenty of these (including the "elusive" smite and electric) very frequently... ... ...

Nektaria, Shieldlands, Calithia, Tesh/K'nort Scrar, The Underdark, Damaska, The Rift, The Sylven Realm, The Dark Realm, Deathwater Isle, Icereach, The Various Oceans (just to name what came in my head)... have you really been to all "3" provinces and looked for this stuff yourself?
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2271
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by DPLincoln Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:17 pm

From +3 to +5 I read it takes 10 BOM to gain +1 to weapon. Need 4 upgrades would be 40 BOM wouldn't it?

The only provinces I have not explored to date are in the SE corner of the map. Those 5-6 I haven't reached through travels or farstep potion. Working on it though. I haven't been to The Rift I believe or the Dark Realm. Today I explored Daramok. Wound up under water off of Calithia after that jump. In Icereach at the moment.

Thank you for the help on this.
DPLincoln
DPLincoln
Prolific Scribe
Prolific Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel of Death Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:22 pm

DPLincoln wrote:From +3 to +5 I read it takes 10 BOM to gain +1 to weapon. Need 4 upgrades would be 40 BOM wouldn't it?

10 BoM = +1
20 BoM = +2
30 BoM = +3
40 BoM = +4
50 BoM = +5

If you insert 40 BoM + the weapon, it'll become a +4 weapon. (So if it was a +5, it would be downgraded to +4...)
Angel of Death
Angel of Death
Epic Level
Epic Level

Number of posts : 1132
Main Character : Célestin Chevalier; Knight Champion of Dalix. Protector of the Innocent. Slayer of Evil.
Other Character : Angelique Nightstar; Arcane Archer.
Personal Quote: "The way of the bow is simplicity and beauty combined with power and discipline."
Other Character. : Bruce Li; Wanderer and Practitioner of the Dragon Paw Style. & Cherry; Starchild of Jewel n' Chancetaker of Lysis.
Other Character.. : Anna, Weaver of Illusions. - You can read about all of them following this link to their Biographies! =)
NWN Username : I await You in the End
Time Zone : Central European Timezone
Registration date : 2010-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by DPLincoln Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:20 am

That's not how the upgrade sign makes it seem.

So, Rapier +3 taking it to +5, I would need 50 BOM per sword instead of 20 per sword? That's kind of silly, imo. If this is the case, someone needs to write up a "don't F*&(&^ up your gear" how to section so we know what to collect exactly.
DPLincoln
DPLincoln
Prolific Scribe
Prolific Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by Kefrem Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:37 am

if you need i believe ignatius the mage or the thri-kreen gladiator tik have many of these elemental stones you seek. Ignatius im told is also a powerful enchanter and can do the work for you Smile
Kefrem
Kefrem
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Male Number of posts : 755
Main Character : Ignatius and Sykee
Other Character : Shi'ssar
Other Character. : Spyder
Other Character.. : Tarn
NWN Username : Kefremthemagus
Registration date : 2008-10-06

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/costume.php?mode=view&c=688&bu=

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:14 am

DPLincoln wrote:That's not how the upgrade sign makes it seem.

So, Rapier +3 taking it to +5, I would need 50 BOM per sword instead of 20 per sword? That's kind of silly, imo. If this is the case, someone needs to write up a "don't F*&(&^ up your gear" how to section so we know what to collect exactly.

The upgrade sign is for DM-perfomed upgrades. Yes, a DM could bump a weapon from +3 to +5 enhancement for 20 BoM gems. If you are patient after gathering the materials this is one way to go.

The other way is to gather extra BoM and visit the Mystic Forge to do the upgrade yourself. The Mystic Forge is in dwarven lands. One very important note of advice when using it (if you decide to), is NEVER put anything into the Mystic Forge besides BoM gems, defintely do NOT put any valuable gear inside. The item you want upgraded must be equipped at the time that you close the Mystic Forge "container".
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel of Death Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:57 am

daveyeisley wrote:
The other way is to gather extra BoM and visit the Mystic Forge to do the upgrade yourself. The Mystic Forge is in dwarven lands. One very important note of advice when using it (if you decide to), is NEVER put anything into the Mystic Forge besides BoM gems, defintely do NOT put any valuable gear inside. The item you want upgraded must be equipped at the time that you close the Mystic Forge "container".

Ah yeah, probably should note that my post above was related to the Mystic Forge... Smile

Angel of Death
Angel of Death
Epic Level
Epic Level

Main Character : Célestin Chevalier; Knight Champion of Dalix. Protector of the Innocent. Slayer of Evil.
Personal Quote: "The way of the bow is simplicity and beauty combined with power and discipline."
Other Character. : Bruce Li; Wanderer and Practitioner of the Dragon Paw Style. & Cherry; Starchild of Jewel n' Chancetaker of Lysis.
Other Character.. : Anna, Weaver of Illusions. - You can read about all of them following this link to their Biographies! =)

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:00 am

Also, more related to the intent of the OP, I believe, it would really be nice if there were more varieties of +5 weapons available in shops or via in-game quests, or.... something.

It would also be nice to have more weapons higher than +5 available from epic enemies/locations.

Risk/reward ratio and all that. I fully understand the "meh" feeling of having a 40th level juggernaught running around with a piddly (for that level range) +5 weapon.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by DPLincoln Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:37 am

Just to be clear, I'm not looking for +25 weapons or armor or anything crazy. I do not want to imbalance the game at all. I think the main gist is that in every game, one feels a little progression for risk/reward as little improvements happen along the way. Whether we're talking a better scope, larger magazine, more armor, more gold, whatever. I'm new here and by no means have a full background on the history of this place so I don't want to interfere with the intent too much. This would however be the first game since I started gaming in 1978 where there is no apparent reward. The awesome weapons at level 8-10 feel like Chinese restaurant chopsticks at 40+. Are there game mechanics to compensate for lack of progression items? I'm guessing there is or else there'd be rare shops or random vendor locations with mega-awesome gear.

I'm a OLD gamer. Hell, I've played Zork before it was released as Zork and was known as Wumpus on old phone company Unix computers. I've gamed with Steve Wozniak (Apple Founder). Perhaps I am a bit biased on the whole matter. Sometimes experience can be a major detriment to enjoying something. Perhaps after 5 years of WoW as a hunter and warlock (before the fear nerf wrecked the class mechanics), I'm still hanging on to some ideals I need to let go for upgrades and such.

If I have irked anyone, my apologies go out to you. The Amethyst Dragon has done a lot of wonderful things to the server which I can tell is a full time job. Thanks for the input and listening.
DPLincoln
DPLincoln
Prolific Scribe
Prolific Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by Elhanan Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:57 pm

There are at least three weapons in Aenea that will level with the PC: a dagger, club, and a spear. These will increase to +10 when the character reaches near 40th. Unless there are others that have evaded me, others are capped at +5.

However, unlike most other worlds, while the weapons themselves have such limits, the PC's themselves may excel in a number of design possibilities and make the character; not the item the better source of power.

The items you seek may be better found in the Reward Vouchers thread. Time in character is rewarded, and these vouchers allow each Player to tailor make an item to their specs, based on Aenea restrictions of course. I advise skimming thru there and planning to make your own relic of choice.
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by DPLincoln Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:03 pm

I have the club and a buddy is using the spear. I haven't seen the dagger though. Good information to know though.

I'll look at the reward vouchers bit. In the interim though I'll still look at upgrading the +3 to +5. Maybe a DM will be on sometime and vice the 100 stones I could do the upgrade with 40.
DPLincoln
DPLincoln
Prolific Scribe
Prolific Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by Kefrem Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:57 am

I have a dagger on my mage....i havent seen it anymore either. The vendor that used to sell them no longer sells them Sad
Kefrem
Kefrem
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Back to top Go down

Post by Elhanan Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:01 am

Kefrem wrote:I have a dagger on my mage....i havent seen it anymore either. The vendor that used to sell them no longer sells them Sad

Like the others, it may be obtained while exploring and adventuring. However, unlike the others, the area is not for lower levels; might be a challenge for those that believe they have a knowledge of spells.
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Belarric Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:58 pm

Does the dagger also upgrade with player levels, same as club?
If so, having it drop in a high level area defeats the purpose surely.

I would have thought a quest set by somebody in Macedone would be a decent area, as characters are still low enough to get benefit

Just a thought, as Enzio uses daggers and I wasn't even aware there was a dagger available
Belarric
Belarric
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Male Number of posts : 157
Main Character : Raiden - A warrior monk searches for knowledge in the arts of war
Other Character : Darrius - Shadow Child
Other Character. : Wolfe - A dragon tainted barbarian from the high mountains
Time Zone : GMT + 12:00
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Elhanan Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:41 pm

No defeated purpose, as I cannot recall many low lvls relying upon a dagger as a priority. And given where it is found and generally how; very appropriate placement, too.

Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Kefrem Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:01 pm

The dagger is called "the wizards famliar" if memory serves...its tailored for wizards and provices feats and such for a wizard. It wouldnt be much use for a rogue type save the bonus to hit it receives.
Kefrem
Kefrem
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Back to top Go down

Post by DPLincoln Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:34 pm

At level 24, the quarterstaff became a club (actually at a lower level it did), and was +6.
DPLincoln
DPLincoln
Prolific Scribe
Prolific Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:26 am

The quarterstaff version was dumped entirely in favor of the club, since all quarterstaves are now double weapons. I deemed it too powerful to have it automatically function as two +10 (plus other powers) weapons at 40th level.

With in-game enhancements (elemental crystals, certain spells (such as flame blade, frost blade, acidic blade, etc.) giving +1d6 or +2d6 (depending on caster level), forge-granted enhancement bonuses up to +5 on any weapon (costs blood of magic), DM-interaction-granted other enhancements (including all sorts of bonus damage types, with various costs), and play time (with a single character) reward vouchers, there are many, many ways to end up with more powerful weapons.

Weapons found are rarely going to hit +5 enhancement, since that's the limit I've set for myself (like in my PnP game), although there are a few out there. The leveling/scaling weapons I'm not particularly fond of, considering all the other ways to power up a weapon that've been added to the game over the 5 years or so since they were made, but I'm not getting rid of the ones that are in-game already.

I could see adding a few more powerful items in harder locations (such as the Dark Realm), but their power will likely come from other abilities, rather than higher than +5 enhancement bonuses.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramana Jala Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:13 pm

Here in Aenea, my experience has been that powerful weapons found IG tend to be treacherous, with some kind of quirk or curse to them.

There was a powerful evil weapon I found in a castle that was too good to be true. There is also a weapon to be found that is powerful against demons, but although I don't think it will hurt you, it will bind to you and so be yours forever. There is also another weapon just laying temptingly on the floor as you enter a large chamber, that I've been afraid to pick up, as it looks too good to be a normal safe weapon either. This isn't a complaint, I actually think that this is what I'd expect for powerful 'found' weapons, to have some issue from their history like this.

So, I've come to think that it's best to get your super weapon from a voucher, lol. If one is into RP, one can think of this as the forging of your own legendary weapon. A new weapon without complicating 'history', except for what your toon will put into it.

But as has been said, your enhancement will be limited to +5 and so other qualities will be the bigger part of its usefulness and power. Personally, it does seem more balanced to me, that power with weapons should come more from training than gear, such as from BAB of your class(es) and the feats chosen. It seems to me that this server is carefully balanced to make such a traditional DnD attitude work, and so is likely to be a different approach than PG servers where more ueberish gear is part of the equation.
Ramana Jala
Ramana Jala
Epic Level
Epic Level

Female Number of posts : 1050
Main Character : Ramana Domefarar -
Publicly a Ranger, privately an Opportunist.
Lay Follower of Jewel,
Sensate and practitioner of the Way of Pleasure.

Other Character : Ranara Duauth -
A being created by shadow and water, a wizard.
Is actually another persona of Ramana.

Other Character. : Dae, the panther,
companion to both Ramana and Ranara,
and the best real eye-witness to the
strange circumstance of those alternating personae.

Other Character.. : The Personae of Ramana Jala
NWN Username : Ramana Jala
Time Zone : US Eastern Time
Registration date : 2011-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel of Death Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:54 pm

Elhanan wrote:
Kefrem wrote:I have a dagger on my mage....i havent seen it anymore either. The vendor that used to sell them no longer sells them Sad

Like the others, it may be obtained while exploring and adventuring. However, unlike the others, the area is not for lower levels; might be a challenge for those that believe they have a knowledge of spells.

Just thought I would add: With the right spells prepared, a level 10-11 wizard can easily get into the area and gain said dagger without dying. Unless of course, you doesn't consider those levels as "low level" anymore; I do however. Smile
Angel of Death
Angel of Death
Epic Level
Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by evilkittenofdoom Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:39 pm

I can't seem to find it, but I recall reading somewhere some sort of restritction when making custom item weapons; something to do with requiring the adding of the +5 Enhancement Bonus before adding other properties....

Of course, I might also be mixing things up with other servers or something.... so does such a restriction exist?
evilkittenofdoom
evilkittenofdoom
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1217
Main Character : Aseph, the NOT old sorcerer
Other Character : Analo, professional Dracolich (and other undead) hunter
Other Character. : Sivoran, the PC Demilich
Other Character.. : Imyna, Drow Priestess of Sorgath
NWN Username : evilkittenofdoom
Time Zone : EST (GMT-5)
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post by RayvenNightkind Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:51 pm

There is a +5 limitation on custom voucher items, if that's what you might be thinking of, it's in the faq section here on the forums
RayvenNightkind
RayvenNightkind
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1119
Main Character : Sir Rayvensclaw Nightkind Leader of the Clan of Night
Paladin/Champion of Dalix/Wizard
NWN Username : Rayven Nightkind
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00
Registration date : 2008-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Elhanan Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:30 pm

Uncertain as to the number, but I believe there is a limit on the total enchantments that can be placed on an item. As +5 Enhancement is a desired effect, it should be chosen before lesser ones.

And I seem to recall something in HotU which required Enhancement magic earlier too; if one loaded up on lesser effects, the Player might not be able to increase an item to +5, I believe.
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Christopher Robin R2 Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:01 pm

I'm kinda surprised nobody has mentioned Soulfire Warrior, which for the cost of ten levels nets you +6 armor and sword. I have no idea if that's a good tradeoff, though.
Christopher Robin R2
Christopher Robin R2
Player with Too Much Time
Player with Too Much Time

Male Number of posts : 78
NWN Username : XrisRobin
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Texas)
Registration date : 2009-06-27

http://steamcommunity.com/id/xrisrobin

Back to top Go down

Post by RayvenNightkind Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:34 pm

I believe that a +5 enhancement to weapons or armor is the highest we can achieve in Aenea, by whatever means; ie; ourselves via mystical forge, dwarf, maker, or DM. However that doesn't take into the +6 of Soul Fire Warrior or the Prophecy Weapon, which I believe is a +8 in the right circumstance.
RayvenNightkind
RayvenNightkind
Epic Level
Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by evilkittenofdoom Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:32 pm

What I meant is that I recall reading somewhere for something that before adding other properties to a weapon, the +5 Enhancement Bonus had to be added to the weapon for it to be legal.

I am quite aware that the properties added increase in cost semi-eponentially and that the maximum under normal circumstances for Enhancement Bonuses is +5.

I basically just want to know if I can design a weapon that does not have the +5 Enhancement Bonus, but instead has other properties that suit the character's theme well.
evilkittenofdoom
evilkittenofdoom
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1217
Main Character : Aseph, the NOT old sorcerer
Other Character : Analo, professional Dracolich (and other undead) hunter
Other Character. : Sivoran, the PC Demilich
Other Character.. : Imyna, Drow Priestess of Sorgath
NWN Username : evilkittenofdoom
Time Zone : EST (GMT-5)
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post by RayvenNightkind Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:48 pm

Oh, I see. Yep ya can, I just made a custom magical staff for Axel, with no enhancement on it till I took it to the forge. I added quite a few other things to it, I'll be glad to show it to ya in game if you'd like.
RayvenNightkind
RayvenNightkind
Epic Level
Epic Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down