Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Used: Old beef with NWN, new world.... (maul as heavy flail base item type)

+3
daveyeisley
Elhanan
gkorjax
7 posters

Go down

Used: Old beef with NWN, new world.... (maul as heavy flail base item type) Empty Used: Old beef with NWN, new world.... (maul as heavy flail base item type)

Post by gkorjax Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:55 pm

Hi...

I've been playing nwn for quite a few years now, and one of my beefs with the game is that the only bludgeoning two handed weapon, namely the heavy flail, had such MEH animations (same as a one handed flail I believe).  I've always wanted a big two handed hammer, like the guy uses in Conan the Barbarian! A big beefy hammer that has animations more like two handed sword etc.

I know there is a Maul, which fits the bill of a two handed blunt weapon. I am not sure about its animations.  It is a non standard NWN weapon though, so it Can't be focussed or specialized not to mention certainly not a weapon of choice of a weapon master...

Seeing that Aenea has so many additions and alterations on standard NWN, can anyone see a feasible way to make a two handed basher a weapon that people actually use (focus, specialize, etc) and not look so bad animated?  Take the Heavy flail, make it look like a hammer, and have animations like a two handed sword?

I'm a novice (at best) with the toolset so I don't know if this can be done or the level of difficulty of doing so.  Anyone else have any thoughts on the subject?

thanks

Last edited by The Amethyst Dragon on Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:19 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : edited topic title for easier future reference)
gkorjax
gkorjax
Adventurer
Adventurer

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2012-12-10

Back to top Go down

Used: Old beef with NWN, new world.... (maul as heavy flail base item type) Empty Re: Used: Old beef with NWN, new world.... (maul as heavy flail base item type)

Post by Elhanan Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:04 am

Thought I saw some VC animation choices, but these may all be for Unarmed; not sure. These could be worth checking, at least.
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1781
Main Character : Aargyle McJagger
Other Character : Barnabas Bottlebottom
Other Character. : Aarn, Aerik McJagger
Other Character.. : Azar; Briar Ironwood
NWN Username : Elhanan the Ancient One
Time Zone : Central USA
. : Used: Old beef with NWN, new world.... (maul as heavy flail base item type) Forum_donor
Registration date : 2009-06-23

Back to top Go down

Used: Old beef with NWN, new world.... (maul as heavy flail base item type) Empty Re: Used: Old beef with NWN, new world.... (maul as heavy flail base item type)

Post by daveyeisley Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:07 am

I could see changing the Maul appearance to the base item type of a Greatsword... the problem is, your maul would then inflict slashing damage.... but.... if its the look and animation you want, that covers it...

Unfortunately I dont know of a way to get the look and animation *along* with the bashing damage.... short of adding extra bludegoning damage to the weapon as a property.... but base damage would still be 2d6 slashing.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : Used: Old beef with NWN, new world.... (maul as heavy flail base item type) Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Elhanan Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:19 am

Skyrim and DA both have mauls that are swung like greatswords; good company at least....
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1781
Main Character : Aargyle McJagger
Other Character : Barnabas Bottlebottom
Other Character. : Aarn, Aerik McJagger
Other Character.. : Azar; Briar Ironwood
NWN Username : Elhanan the Ancient One
Time Zone : Central USA
Registration date : 2009-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:51 am

I could take the maul model appearances and change them into heavy flails.

The PC's two-handed swinging animations would remain those of a heavy flail, along with the weapon's in-game properties, but would give the appearance of another type of two-handed bludgeoning weapon.

This would also enable the taking of Weapon Focus/Specialization/Etc...it would technically be in "heavy flail", but would still work from a visual/mechanics point.

Other than that, there isn't really a feasible way to get a maul to be fully functional.

Would take some model and hak work, but if y'all like the idea, I'll see about adding it to the list for when I'm finishing up Project Reforged. I think I'm almost through my "model making burnout", so I'll be taking that up again soon.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eeriegeek Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:09 am

A slightly scaled up version of the CEP heavy mace would make an awsome 2-handed blunt weapon as well Smile
eeriegeek
eeriegeek
Worldly Guide
Worldly Guide

Number of posts : 244
Main Character : Amaerillie
Other Character : K'az T'anii
Other Character. : Xephod
Other Character.. : Eg'bo
NWN Username : eeriegeek
Time Zone : GMT-4
Registration date : 2009-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:56 pm

Yeah, I could totally dig having these options! I say "Make it away, The Amethyst Dragon!"
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 4112
Main Character : The Vault of Atrophy
NWN Username : atrophied_eric
DM Name : Dungeon Mistress Anaurra Lide
Time Zone : GMT - 10:00 EST (We have our own time zone!)
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Eric_of_Atrophy

Back to top Go down

Post by gkorjax Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:21 am

Making a beefed up version of the heavy mace certainly wouldn't solve the problems I've mentioned would it? Heavy mace is a cep weapon, and as such is not eligible for weapon focus, specialization, improved critical or weapon master's weapon of choice.

I just wish there was a way to take a heavy flail, make the weapon model look like a maul and have the combat animations be like a two handed sword (or maybe a heavy mace? I've never seen those animations.)

I know there are downloads on the vault that provide alternate combat animations for rapiers and such so I was hoping that something similar could be done.

Basically I am probably just wishing that the cep weapons could be brought into having nwn standard weapon functionality. The two handed hammer I envision is basically..a maul..1d10 blunt, 20x3.

I guess its wistful thinking, but seeing all the miraculous wonders about, I had my hopes up.

Edit: Woops..I was thinking that Heavy Mace was a two handed weapon....my mistake.

Thanks again.

gkorjax
gkorjax
Adventurer
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:35 am

A maul made into a heavy flail item would be swung two-handed (it's still a large weapon)...ah, but mostly side to side swings, rather an overhead strikes. The only obvious difference in animation would be that it wouldn't have the "resting on the shoulder" pose, since heavy flails aren't held that way.

I just figured with heavy flail as the base item type, it already gives the same base damage (1d10). The critical threat stats though are 19-20/x2 instead of 20/x3.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by gkorjax Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:19 am

Hrmm...perhaps using the heavy flail as the base item type but giving it the maul appearance would accomplish what I am after.

I apparently was mistaken in my assertion that the heavy flail animation shows it being swung one handed. It IS in fact swung with both hands, but just looks off to me, probably because of the fact that the flail/head of the heavy flail sorta stays tucked in when swung side to side.

On that note, YES, I would love to see how it looks/works , heavy flail modded to look like maul.

gkorjax
gkorjax
Adventurer
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Kefrem Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:30 pm

isnt there a VC command style heavy?

confirmed:the style heavy uses a 2 hand weapon style that works with the maul. However....the cep mauls cant be focus or specialized in =\
Kefrem
Kefrem
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Male Number of posts : 755
Main Character : Ignatius and Sykee
Other Character : Shi'ssar
Other Character. : Spyder
Other Character.. : Tarn
NWN Username : Kefremthemagus
Registration date : 2008-10-06

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/costume.php?mode=view&c=688&bu=

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:17 pm

So, maul model with base item type 'heavy flail' could be used with all the feats and weapon master goodness, and if the 'heavy' style is used, the animations might also not suck.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:16 am

Someone will have to 'cap this if they do it, as I am intrigued by the concept.
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 4112
Main Character : The Vault of Atrophy
NWN Username : atrophied_eric
DM Name : Dungeon Mistress Anaurra Lide
Time Zone : GMT - 10:00 EST (We have our own time zone!)
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Eric_of_Atrophy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:55 pm

Trying to figure out some technical difficulties with turning maul models into heavy flail weapon type. Something isn't working right when the model/type is changed, so I've got to get that one figured out before this goes into the game.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:21 pm

A recent change means the goal of this suggestion has been met.  Using Weapon Focus/Specialization/Weapon of Choice with warhammer also works for mauls.
Topic Locked
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down