Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spell Trigger Bug

3 posters

Go down

Spell Trigger Bug Empty Spell Trigger Bug

Post by The Fiery Serf Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:47 pm

Spell Trigger doesn't use the proper caster level for pretty much anything cast upon it, frequently coming up with 0 DC fireballs or similar! This is a darn shame. Sequencers seem to get them right, though, which is peculiar.

EDIT: I put three of Telemus Arcanum V on a trigger - the first hit for 42 Damage, but the second and third hit for like 6 and 7. This implies the first spell in the trigger is calculated properly, whereas the second and third aren't.

I then tried three Breath of Winters (ice-fireball). The first was DC 0, hit for 1. Second was DC 17 (which by my CL and focuses is still wrong) and hit for 40, third was DC 0 and saved. This implies I HAVE NO IDEA!
The Fiery Serf
The Fiery Serf
Commoner
Commoner

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2013-09-06

Back to top Go down

Spell Trigger Bug Empty Re: Spell Trigger Bug

Post by daveyeisley Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:34 pm

Update to this thread -

With the addition of scrolls, wands, and potions that have selectable caster levels....

When opportunity presents to investigate the scripting, I would like to propose that Spell Sequencers, The Stone of Rapid Defense, and the Spell Trigger spell be upgraded to use some version of the same functionality for preserving the caster's caster level when the spell effects fire off.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : Spell Trigger Bug Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:26 pm

I whole-heartedly agree!

Sequencers especially, since they are limited to 1 use per day on voucher items, having them not use full caster levels really makes the property not worth it.

Spell-trigger would also become a VERY useful spell should it use full caster levels.  I've rarely used it to date because it's just not that effective.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:26 pm

I did some additional testing with Spell Trigger today.

It seems like when loaded with Mord's, Telemus Arcanum IX, and Otiluke's Freezing Ray, that the Mord's goes off first and appears to work OK, the Telemus SR check goes off OK (success mainly due to Mord's lowering SR by 10) then the touch attack goes off OK and when it hit the damage was OK (about 115 magical), then the Otilukes touch attack went off, hit, and it did 2 cold dmg.

When I loaded it with 3 Telemus Arcanum IX, the first one worked OK, and the other two did 4 and 7 magical dmg respectively.

It seems like the first dmg calculation works mostly OK, but other dmg calcs past that are borked.

It also isnt getting the save DCs or caster levels correct (even if it is supposed to default to the min. caster level for the spell, Otilukes should have done 11dmg minimum).
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : Spell Trigger Bug Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down