Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crafting books

3 posters

Go down

Crafting books Empty Crafting books

Post by Lasombra Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:49 am

As already mentioned in a recent thread, crafting books are very outdated. Their titles also aren't always obviously indicating the content, and scrolling through all the possible items in a tradeskill can be a real pain. Also having no reliable source to buy them from is a bit strange, considering their "mainstream" nature(I don't count the academy in VV because that's the only thing it has, making it a pretty "meh" area). So my suggestions are:

1. Let everyone interested in updating the books choose what they'd like to write. I know it's sort of already possible, but giving people straightforward solutions can help(also to remind how to write them Razz ).
2. Separate books by categories instead of tradeskills; so one for staves, one for rods etc.
3. Give crafting merchants relevant books for sale and also all of them to a librarian NPC(and probably Bluebeard/Morty)
4. Give OOC information in brackets. Example: "[Enchantment: books] Advanced book-writing for the illiterate wizard". IC-ly, this would translate as asking the merchant for a book about book-writing, because obviously you wouldn't always know the specific title.
Lasombra
Lasombra
Worldly Guide
Worldly Guide

Male Number of posts : 249
Main Character : Amaterasu
Other Character : Shannon Elish
Other Character. : Leah Aestris
Other Character.. : Peoth
Time Zone : GMT +2:00
Registration date : 2010-01-22

Back to top Go down

Crafting books Empty Re: Crafting books

Post by MannyJabrielle Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:58 am

I've been working on updating the books already Razz  I've already sent in the books for tradeskills   The blacksmithing manual's list will be shorter as it's now spread out across several books, one volume per actual tradeskill.

Not going to change the names, although The Amethyst Dragon might.  As with the older outdated ones, I picked names which were in-character, and are indicative of what's in the book.

I'm still plodding along on updating and formatting the enchantment books.  The lists there will be about the same, although particularly long lists will be split up into two or more books.  The sheer number of enchant/empower commands is large, and the formatting/organizing them is a real pain... I honestly am not going to make a horde of books.  As it stands, there's already going to be nearly 20 enchanting/empowerment books in my build module to be finished up.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Lasombra Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:16 am

One idea to have a sensible amount of books and make the lists easily accessible at the same time might be to give them unique powers that would display the chosen chapter; if copying the formatting can be done, so that the work isn't wasted.

Though I guess only the dragon does scripting and the Amethyst ones seem to be particularly busy. Razz
Lasombra
Lasombra
Worldly Guide
Worldly Guide

Male Number of posts : 249
Main Character : Amaterasu
Other Character : Shannon Elish
Other Character. : Leah Aestris
Other Character.. : Peoth
Time Zone : GMT +2:00
Registration date : 2010-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:30 am

Yeah, The Amethyst Dragon does the scripting, and the crafting books are "off pallet" items which don't add to module resources.  A unique power book would need a script for activating, a conversation for choosing a chapter, and multiple scripts to create each separate chapter popup box :/  That's a lot of module resources
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:59 pm

How about if owning a book allows a conversation branch to become available from the PC info crystal menu ? .. could that be an idea that works ? Owning a book allows the "Read xxx book" dialogue choice.. selecting the choice provides "basics" in the (NPC) crystal spiel block and the "answers" list all the commands ?.... ...
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2271
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
. : Crafting books Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down