Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Healing Kits

5 posters

Go down

Healing Kits Empty Healing Kits

Post by Elhanan Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:19 pm

When transported out of death's grip by Lysis bracers to the Temple, in a desperate attempt to stop blood loss, I discovered that the kits are of no use during this time. For some reason, the game sees this as a combat situation. This almost led to death, but I managed to stabalize and come back from the edge.

Ideas:

* The cleric still needs to be able to help if possible
* Healing kits could be allowed to work in combat. While it may not make much sense realistically, this would be no worse than other things seen in a Fantsy setting.

* Add the possibility of other Lysis temples and altars (eg; Tradeholm) as escape destinations. At least it would help prevent some long distance treks for a return engagement.
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1781
Main Character : Aargyle McJagger
Other Character : Barnabas Bottlebottom
Other Character. : Aarn, Aerik McJagger
Other Character.. : Azar; Briar Ironwood
NWN Username : Elhanan the Ancient One
Time Zone : Central USA
. : Healing Kits Forum_donor
Registration date : 2009-06-23

Back to top Go down

Healing Kits Empty Re: Healing Kits

Post by evilkittenofdoom Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:24 pm

Any HP damage will trigger the "combat" status if I'm not mistaken, thus objects that can;t be used in combat won't work that way. I believe the reason the healing kits are the way they are is because the Bioware ones are usable in combat and have a similar, but more powerful effect.

of course the easy EASY alternative to any of this is to just keep a few cure light wounds potions (or some other such healing potion) on hand for such an occasion.

I do like the idea of using other lysis temples. I'd say maybe Tradeholm and Calithia are good candidates.
evilkittenofdoom
evilkittenofdoom
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1217
Main Character : Aseph, the NOT old sorcerer
Other Character : Analo, professional Dracolich (and other undead) hunter
Other Character. : Sivoran, the PC Demilich
Other Character.. : Imyna, Drow Priestess of Sorgath
NWN Username : evilkittenofdoom
Time Zone : EST (GMT-5)
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:28 pm

Out of combat, the bio healing kits are definintely more powerful (take 20+ heal skill + heal kit bonus), but in combat, it's only a tad better than aenea kits (1d20+heal skill + heal kit bonus... +1, 3, 6, ect, as opposed to the aenea kit's 1d20+ heal skill). All-in-all, the frequency a character will be considered "in combat" be it actual combat, or even just a drow taking sundamage (which is effectively negated by a regen item) reduces the appeal of the aenea kits to me
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Elhanan Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:26 pm

evilkittenofdoom wrote:Any HP damage will trigger the "combat" status if I'm not mistaken, thus objects that can;t be used in combat won't work that way. I believe the reason the healing kits are the way they are is because the Bioware ones are usable in combat and have a similar, but more powerful effect.

of course the easy EASY alternative to any of this is to just keep a few cure light wounds potions (or some other such healing potion) on hand for such an occasion.

I do like the idea of using other lysis temples. I'd say maybe Tradeholm and Calithia are good candidates.

Except that in this case, I had taken a potion of curative medium wounds but the bleeding continued, and none of the bandages and kits stopped the blood flow. As I mentioned, I managed to stabalize in time but still slipped into the negative range. And this was my mage, so those precious d4's slipped by quickly.

My guess is that the kits have been changed to add realism, but when fighting other NWN mechanics such as Hardcore rules, any reduction in healing options seems to be possibly fatal.
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Registration date : 2009-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:55 pm

Elhanan wrote:
evilkittenofdoom wrote:Any HP damage will trigger the "combat" status if I'm not mistaken, thus objects that can;t be used in combat won't work that way. I believe the reason the healing kits are the way they are is because the Bioware ones are usable in combat and have a similar, but more powerful effect.

Except that in this case, I had taken a potion of curative medium wounds but the bleeding continued, and none of the bandages and kits stopped the blood flow. As I mentioned, I managed to stabalize in time but still slipped into the negative range. And this was my mage, so those precious d4's slipped by quickly.

My guess is that the kits have been changed to add realism, but when fighting other NWN mechanics such as Hardcore rules, any reduction in healing options seems to be possibly fatal.

This situation would be a reason why regeneration is both very rare and VERY valuable in Aenea. Get a ring of lesser regen, lesser ring of power, ring of power, white spindle ioun stone, or a handful of other possible items. Then you will at least counter that hp loss. buying you plenty of time to make your stabilization check.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Elhanan Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:21 pm

I do now have such an Ioun stone for this PC, but as for the rest we are speaking of characters of all lvls, esp those that are low and have even less resources for such items. Plus, the ILR in place does not allow the use of these until mid-lvls, and this mage is finding it very difficult getting there.
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level