Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordankainen's Blade

4 posters

Go down

Mordankainen's Blade Empty Mordankainen's Blade

Post by __Ua__ Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:34 pm

So now that I have a lovely little collection of vouchers for Derik Aerlias I am trying to build him a custom bastard sword for his left hand. I would like it to be able to strip spells or in general mess with the reciever of the blow in more ways then just "ow that hurts" (ie I'm drooling all over the on hit abilities). Now on hit Mord's seems like the best bet for Derik seeing as he is a spell blade and not a full fledged wizard so he is always in the middle of the mess smacking everyone across the face and does not have as many spells slots to dedicate to defense stripping or breaching spells. Anyone have experience using on hit Mord's or have an ideas of what other abilities I could put on his blade.
__Ua__
__Ua__
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Male Number of posts : 124
Main Character : Derik Aerlias
Other Character : Noric Aerlias
Other Character. : Mariela Kley
Other Character.. : Yeshua Son of Nun
Registration date : 2008-11-10

Back to top Go down

Mordankainen's Blade Empty Re: Mordankainen's Blade

Post by __Ua__ Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:37 pm

Also on a side note I've made bracers for him with 3/day Flame Twin. I've seen it used before ,but do not know the specifics.
__Ua__
__Ua__
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Back to top Go down

Post by evilkittenofdoom Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:43 pm

FYI On hit cast spell effects are not alowed on custom items
evilkittenofdoom
evilkittenofdoom
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1217
Main Character : Aseph, the NOT old sorcerer
Other Character : Analo, professional Dracolich (and other undead) hunter
Other Character. : Sivoran, the PC Demilich
Other Character.. : Imyna, Drow Priestess of Sorgath
NWN Username : evilkittenofdoom
Time Zone : EST (GMT-5)
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:12 pm

Yeah, sorry, __Ua__ - check out this thread for more info ... but here's the meat of it that evilkittenofdoom refers to:
The Amethyst Dragon wrote:2c. Certain properties are not used in PC custom items due to similar effects being used in certain game mechanics coding, are considered too powerful, should be class abilities only (my opinion), or are used only by the game (not intended for use by PCs). Some cause a big drain on the server processor or add too many resources to the module. - On Hit: Cast Spell (big drain on server resources)

Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 4112
Main Character : The Vault of Atrophy
NWN Username : atrophied_eric
DM Name : Dungeon Mistress Anaurra Lide
Time Zone : GMT - 10:00 EST (We have our own time zone!)
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Eric_of_Atrophy

Back to top Go down

Post by __Ua__ Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:18 pm

I'm aware of that ,but on hit Mord's can be cast as a spell or just the effect. Under the same category as on hit blind or on hit silence. If I cant use it its fine ,but I know people have used the on hit category before not on hit spells.
__Ua__
__Ua__
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:45 pm

There's two separate "On hit" properties. The regular on-hits are not forbidden. The on-hit: cast spells are the forbidden ones.

There's a mords on the forbidden cast-spell list, and there's also mords on the regular "on-hit" list (which includes such things as on-hit blindness, slow, knock, poison, slay X, ect).

The onhit-spell version works just like the spell, and can be assigned a caster level, which can make it extremely powerful.

The regular on-hit version functions, as far as I know, the same, with the "DC" being the caster level for the debuff aspect of the spell.

For anyone who's curious, Mords does both spell breaching and spell dispelling. They aren't the same. Spell breaching makes breachable effects simply go byebye. Dispelling removes the effects as well, but requires a check to see if the effect is removed.

As for if it's worth it... I'd say it could be. It's a VERY pricey ability to put onto a voucher item, but the results could be quite effective if it works as far as I understand it.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:04 pm

As for flame twin...

It has it's uses. But your character's build/items carried can make it a great ability, or just a shortlived meatshield.

What flame twin does is create an exact duplicate of your character, appearance, items, spells, feats, everything. This copy is completely invulnerable and non-dispellable/dismissable, and comes with a fire-shield effect active (even if you don't have the elemental shield spell/flame shield firestarter ability). It isn't a part of your party, and it only lasts a few rounds (three I think, but definitely not more than 4 rounds). When it disappears, it'll do some minor fire exploding damage to those within a few meters of it.

As it's not part of your party (you don't get XP for what it kills), you can't command it what to do. It'll pick something do to from all your possible feats/spells/ect. For non-spell casters, this can be great... a three round invulnerable copy of yourself to nail in three rounds worth of extra damage to enemies around you/it.

FOr spell casters... it can be really great when that copy not only soaks up damage you'd otherwise take, but also belts out one of your better spells...

But most of the time, it does really stupid stuff like cast cone of cold at the ice trolls, or fireball at the cinder trolls, if you're lucky... most of the time it'll just sit there buffing up, and if you have a lotta buffs at your disposal... it'll buff, then poof.

Also... for either caster or non-caster... the copy will use a random weapon from your inventory, not necessarily the one you have in your hand when you cast flametwin... so your flametwin could whatever garbage weapon you have in your inventory instead of your ultra-mean weapon of uberness.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by __Ua__ Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:10 pm

The breaching is really what I'm looking for. Breach-able spells:
spell mantles, globes of invulnerability, stoneskins, premonition, protection from elements, ghostly and ethereal visage, mage armor, shadow shield and elemental shield.

making these spells go away simply by slapping someone across the face with my bastard sword is worth every coin to me. Especially since what Derik is usually doing in his spare time is ripping spell mantle off of Arcane Black Guards. Thanks for the help Manny.
__Ua__
__Ua__
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Back to top Go down

Post by __Ua__ Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:12 pm

As for flame twin..its sounds like if your lucky it can kickass if not its just a dumb twin. Although getting to yell 'Hey bitchDerik make me a sandwich" would please me greatly. If it can cast epic spells that could also be a very good or bad thing. Not that Aenea needs more Derik's casting hell ball. Mordankainen's Blade Icon_twisted Again thanks Manny.
__Ua__
__Ua__
Seasoned Explorer
Seasoned Explorer

Back to top Go down