Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Climb and Balance spells

2 posters

Go down

Climb and Balance spells Empty Climb and Balance spells

Post by daveyeisley Mon May 24, 2010 11:24 pm

Seeing as we have a Jump spell to help with jump checks, perhaps we could add spells for climbing (like the Spiderclimb spell from PnP), and a balance spell/potion for balance checks (maybe call it Stability)
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : Climb and Balance spells Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Climb and Balance spells Empty Re: Climb and Balance spells

Post by Ra Cha Chongo Tue May 25, 2010 5:33 am

Wouldn't Spiderclimb work for both? If you can walk up a vertical beam, you should be able to walk across a horizontal one.
Ra Cha Chongo
Ra Cha Chongo
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Number of posts : 413
Main Character : Vizzini The Inconceivable
Other Character : Jinx
Other Character. : Whichever one I happen to be playing at the moment; I think it's mostly been Vinzer lately
Time Zone : EST (GMT - 5:00)
Registration date : 2009-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Tue May 25, 2010 12:36 pm

well, vertical climbing is different than horizontal walking.... mainly in respect to whether one needs their hands free and available. With the Spiderclimb spell, you need at both hands free to make use of the effect, whether you wish to travel vertically or horizontally.

If you are simply doing a 'balancing act' you could have both hands occupied and still do fine.

For the purposes of NWN, you could use spiderclimb for both, sure... as the main problem with needing both hands free to move is having to defend yourself while doing so... and in NWN you wont be attacked while climbing or balancing....

Due to the fact that in PnP getting attacked while climbing, one would normally lose DEX bonus to AC and spiderclimb negates that penalty, but you still cant effectively attack... but being attacked while balancing you could actually fight back... I see it making more sense to keep them separate, personally.

Mind you, I certainly wont complain if The Amethyst Dragon wants to save casters a spell slot Razz
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : Climb and Balance spells Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down