Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not Used: "negative" properties

+2
Kefrem
Eric of Atrophy
6 posters

Go down

Not Used: "negative" properties Empty Not Used: "negative" properties

Post by Eric of Atrophy Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:39 pm

Hey, there!

I was just browsing through the Player Reward Items? thread, and came across this line:
[img]https://2img.net/u/2813/42/61/05/smiles/787378.jpg[/img] wrote:2f. Note that "negative" properties do not decrease the value of an item, so there's really no reason to add them to your item (unless you just want to have such a drawback for roleplaying purposes).
Any chance that could be changed, even just a little? It would be cool to see PCs creating items that weren't just uber-powered swords of foe-exploding - I know that I'd be more willing to put a negative on a weapon, if there was some sort of counterbalance ...

I dunno, I was just thinking ... anyone have any thoughts? Not Used: "negative" properties 787378? dave? Anyone? Cool
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 4112
Main Character : The Vault of Atrophy
NWN Username : atrophied_eric
DM Name : Dungeon Mistress Anaurra Lide
Time Zone : GMT - 10:00 EST (We have our own time zone!)
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Eric_of_Atrophy

Back to top Go down

Not Used: "negative" properties Empty Re: Not Used: "negative" properties

Post by Kefrem Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:10 pm

I think there should be a benefit for putting these on items as well. I play champions pnp rpg...and in there you could take limitations which would give you a cost break on the power you were building.

It would also make the weapons/items even more unique.
Kefrem
Kefrem
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Male Number of posts : 755
Main Character : Ignatius and Sykee
Other Character : Shi'ssar
Other Character. : Spyder
Other Character.. : Tarn
NWN Username : Kefremthemagus
Registration date : 2008-10-06

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/costume.php?mode=view&c=688&bu=

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:31 pm

Me too... designing custom items would become a game in itself of careful well thought out "balance" ... Imagine a DC32 On hit: Vorpal sword, that also tries to consume it's owner by giving a -10 to Con (thus reducing the users HP to pittance)~ Kill or be killed?....

A SR32 shield with +50% ASF, the True Spellblocker... ...
A weapon with DC26 On Hit Poison (1d2 xxxAbility), that also gives the user an xxxAbility Penalty, a proper two-edged sword... ..
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2271
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
. : Not Used: "negative" properties Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:43 pm

The issue comes in with the fact that the toolset does not/cannot automatically adjust the item's value based on negative properties chosen.

If The Amethyst Dragon tries to assign value reductions himself, thats a lot of work just to make a list, and then more work for the value calculations for every custom item that gets submitted with negative properties.

Can it be done? Yeah, there are a number of ways to make it possible.

It all involves adding more to The Amethyst Dragon's workload. If there were enough outcry from the community begging for something like this, who knows, he might just work on plans for it.... but I think the main issue is how to reduce and minimize the impact on the stuff he has to do as a result of such a change.

I don't mind the lack of it all that much, but I will say that it would be sort of cool to be able to throw on some thematically appropriate negatives in order to boost an item a little bit. 'Thematically appropriate' leaves a little too much room for interpretation, in my opinion, however. It would most likely have to be limited in the number of negatives as well, etc.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:09 pm

Yeah, exactly! Although, perhaps not as extreme as a sword trying to kill its wielder ... but along those lines ...

Do we know if this no-incentive-for-negative-properties is a NwN thing, or an Aenea thing? --yep, dave cleared that up for us! thankye, dave!--

I would love to see it change, and seeing as several of my PCs have custom item vouchers or rework vouchers in process, would be a cool thing to have...

-- dave beat me to it ... ok, i can see that point, i don't want it badly enough to have The Amethyst Dragon rescript everything, but what about a simple "pick a negative and get an *x*k value bonus, with a cap of, say, two negative properties. Even something that simple would be a step in the right direction, I think...

And I'm sure that The Amethyst Dragon could draw up some very clear guidelines for the process, just like he did in the rest of the Player Custom Item post referenced above...

Last edited by Eric of Atrophy on Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:11 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Hey, it's possible ... I remember when AD said no to custom housing ... xp)
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:54 pm

It's been a few months since I've poked about in the toolset, but I do beleive there is a CEP property that adds a negative GP value (the converse to the standard "add value" (found on the first tab with the tag, resref, ect). If I'm not imagining that, there'd be no scripting involved, just would have to have The Amethyst Dragon decide on how much negative gold a given property is worth... add the negative properties to your item, and the additional negative gold value property adjusted to the proper amount.

The one problem I see though is....

Virtually every negative property can be blocked by an immunity, negative level/ability drain immunity being the primary source of "na na you can't make me suck". Player puts immunities on one item, and then goes and makes his or her other items more powerful but with negative props... but they don't really do anything due to the immunities... Or even just use stock items ingame for the immunties (blood armor, bone ring, you're good against a load of stuff).

I'd say, nothing really stops anyone from putting on negative properties as it stands... just, they don't make positive properties cheaper for you (nor do they subtract from the GP value of the item either, so it doens't "cost" you to add neg props).
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Skywatcher Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:54 pm

Ye Manny, I thought about the immunity to various stuff causing issues with value too, but I can actually think of a couple of negative item properties that would make people think twice about using them.

1. Stormbringer property, starts doing x damage per round after so long without being fed souls.............and make x large enough (20 per round?) that noone will be able to out regenerate it. Before you take this property, spend some time as a vampire or shadowchild, drow will not give you the proper perspective.

2. Experience point eater. Each round it is equipped it eats x experience points.......say 20 per turn. That would make a multiplier expensive enough to make me at least think twice. (How many people have you seen wearing a helm of mind shielding?)

Skywatcher
Skywatcher
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Male Number of posts : 551
Main Character : Velvet Stormcaller
Other Character : Skywatcher Stormcaller
Other Character. : Lyann Twiceborn
NWN Username : Skywatcher
Registration date : 2008-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:52 pm

Good points, Skywatcher, and good item suggestions as well ... I propose that we ask the old The Amethyst Dragon to see if there's any way (with minimal resource impact) to introduce items like this into teh world somehow (not curses, but so much greater) - I'm thinking of Venger's really big Soul Reaver thing...
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:55 pm

Hrmm, interesting ideas. Those can be scripted, but then again, I dunno if The Amethyst Dragon will do the work for that (adding scripted properties to customs beyond those already done like speedy boots and such).

The first one though... It wouldn't be too difficult actually to get 20+ regen per round, at least for certain characters. One of the cleric regen spells (forget which, I *think* monstrous) stacks with itself... +3 regen times 4 castings, that's half needed. Might be better to have it do the immobilize+damage thing that the soulreaver sword does (since the property reminds me of that anyway).... clerics and druids will easily be able to mitigate the damage, but the immobilization would be a real pain in the ass.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Skywatcher Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:00 pm

Ye, good point on the regen, I forgot about the regen spells stacking, 20 per round is probably possible for certain characters. Of course, you are then sacrificing a lot of spell slots to keep yourself healthy (think Elric of Melnibone, a powerful spellcaster who spent a huge amount of time and energy keeping himself healthy.......when Stormbringer wasn't feeding him on stolen souls.....)

But the immobolize thing would be hard to work around, so that would be a possibility. Would require a lot of thought on ADs part, to make sure there were no easy outs that devious Aeneans could think of heheh.
Skywatcher
Skywatcher
Pureblooded Aenean
Pureblooded Aenean

Male Number of posts : 551
Main Character : Velvet Stormcaller
Other Character : Skywatcher Stormcaller
Other Character. : Lyann Twiceborn
NWN Username : Skywatcher
Registration date : 2008-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:28 pm

Cutscene immobilize. Works very well on the soulreaver.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:19 am

cutscene immobilize? I don't remem the soulreaver freezing one in place...
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:48 am

It used to just knock ya down and deal some neg damage, until The Amethyst Dragon found Angelica running around with earthroot boots on and not killing anything with it Wink It was then changed to a cutscene deal with magical instead of neg damage. It's been a while since I've been in game, so maybe he changed it again?
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:27 pm

Hmm ... it has been a long time since I've used it ... it belonged to Sta'stillen, of all PCs ... and she got it when Crideas Bane was somewhere in his first tier of levels ... waaaaay back in about mid 2008, if my post-sleuthing serves me well ...
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down