Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Walls for the non-magical

4 posters

Go down

Walls for the non-magical Empty Walls for the non-magical

Post by MannyJabrielle Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:21 pm

The barrier spells are great, and very useful for casters (Barrier of stone, iron, ice, and barrier of force).

But, there should be a way for non-casters to achieve the same effect. Not "casting a spell", but constructing barricades and such to create fortified positions in open fields, block tunnel passages, create choke points in areas that are just a little too open.

There's plenty of material that can be gotten for the barricades too (bars of iron, steel, ect., for making iron barriers... wood for making wooden barriers and barricades).

I would suggest making a new inventory item, a tool sort of like the trap crates... it has nails, some basic construction tools, heavy gauge wire, ect... Give it a unique power property. When used on materials like bars of iron, planks of wood, or even seige equipment (salvage the catapult's materials), it adds to the tool kit's "value". When used on a location, the unique power has the character create a barricade.

No need to create new models either, I do believe there's plenty of war barricade type placables that can be used for this Smile There's even a nice spiked iron barricade for iron-based creations.

Could have two types of toolkits in this instance.. one for constructing weaker, but easier to make wooden barricades (which would also be highly vulnerable to fire!), and one toolkit for creating metal barricades, which would have higher HP and resistances, but are much more time consuming to peice together, require far heavier materials, and are much harder to put together skill wise.

Could make it skilled based, like the traps... only skill I can think of that comes close is the "craft armor" skill. Higher skilled characters can create better barricades, and build them faster, while someone with little to no skill.. their barricades are just gonna fall to pieces after just the slightest abuse!
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Walls for the non-magical Empty Re: Walls for the non-magical

Post by Eric of Atrophy Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:37 pm

Nice!
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 4112
Main Character : The Vault of Atrophy
NWN Username : atrophied_eric
DM Name : Dungeon Mistress Anaurra Lide
Time Zone : GMT - 10:00 EST (We have our own time zone!)
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Eric_of_Atrophy

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:21 am

I like it Smile
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : Walls for the non-magical Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric of Atrophy Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:49 pm

How resource-intensive would this be? And how close are we to teh module's resource cap are we? I haven't heard this figure in awile...
Eric of Atrophy
Eric of Atrophy
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 4112
Main Character : The Vault of Atrophy
NWN Username : atrophied_eric
DM Name : Dungeon Mistress Anaurra Lide
Time Zone : GMT - 10:00 EST (We have our own time zone!)
Registration date : 2008-06-06

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Eric_of_Atrophy

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:42 pm

what I can think of.... the toolkit item, it's associated unique power script, and then the various "barricade" items. The "materials" that could be used (iron bars, planks of wood, iron rods, ect) are already resources in-game.

So, two + number of different types of barricades.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel of Death Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:35 pm

I like this idea, very interesting. I would also like to add to it, (although im not certain whether or not its doable?). Via the use of a 'shovel' item, a character can dig trenches in the ground for use in tactical maneuvers, then lure in enemies and round them up and shoot at them from safety from the other side. (Hope I got the idea through... Embarassed )
Angel of Death
Angel of Death
Epic Level
Epic Level

Number of posts : 1132
Main Character : CĂ©lestin Chevalier; Knight Champion of Dalix. Protector of the Innocent. Slayer of Evil.
Other Character : Angelique Nightstar; Arcane Archer.
Personal Quote: "The way of the bow is simplicity and beauty combined with power and discipline."
Other Character. : Bruce Li; Wanderer and Practitioner of the Dragon Paw Style. & Cherry; Starchild of Jewel n' Chancetaker of Lysis.
Other Character.. : Anna, Weaver of Illusions. - You can read about all of them following this link to their Biographies! =)
NWN Username : I await You in the End
Time Zone : Central European Timezone
Registration date : 2010-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down