Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Traps resetting too quickly?

4 posters

Go down

Traps resetting too quickly? Empty Traps resetting too quickly?

Post by gkorjax Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:41 pm

Hi, me and a few friends started playing recently and we are having a blast here. Thanks for the great environment and all the hard work.

Pardon me if I don't use the correct area labels. I've not read too far into these forums as I want to avoid spoilers as much as possible.

We entered the cave in the cemetery, made our way down..and down, disabling traps along the way, destroying skeletons as we went. We then entered what I suspect is a non newbish area. We went down a staircase and there was a large room with large books describing the tempting of a silver dragon to the darkside, and his descent into what I suspect is him becoming a dracolich. In any case, we poked around a bit, then decided to head back up, as one of us was hurt and needed a rest, and we recalled there was a restable spot above us. Me and a companion climbed the stairs, found ourselves in the middle of a trapped area, which subsequently triggered as a skeleton rushed and attacked us. Needless to say we died.

I'd like to suggest that perhaps the trap herein shouldn't be such that when you enter the room (from below), one is in the middle of it. With the whole nature of the transition system of nwn, there is no chance for the trap to be detected and disarmed.

My apologies if I missing the intent of the trap or some other subtlety which warrants it behaving so.

Thanks again for all the great work.

gkorjax
gkorjax
Adventurer
Adventurer

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2012-12-10

Back to top Go down

Traps resetting too quickly? Empty Re: Traps resetting too quickly?

Post by Elhanan Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:02 am

Agreed; a longer respawn time would be helpful in such places like there, the crossroads bridge, etc. Lowbies are dying! Sad
Elhanan
Elhanan
Epic Level
Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 1781
Main Character : Aargyle McJagger
Other Character : Barnabas Bottlebottom
Other Character. : Aarn, Aerik McJagger
Other Character.. : Azar; Briar Ironwood
NWN Username : Elhanan the Ancient One
Time Zone : Central USA
. : Traps resetting too quickly? Forum_donor
Registration date : 2009-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:02 am

Agreed 100%, the traps tend to respawn *way* too fast, and some are unfairly placed in areas that low level PCs will get to.

High-level PCs get no pity from that sort of thing, as long as its in a level-appropriate spot.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : Traps resetting too quickly? Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:55 am

Traps reset based on a combination of area clearer script and area populating script. There isn't really a "timer" to them...they get reset after the cleaner script has run, when a PC enters the area (so that they are there if a PC teleports out, and another PC does a run into an area).

I will move that trap and a few others further from doorways and heavy-newbie traffic spots.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down