Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reforged Crossbows - Crashing my PC big time.

2 posters

Go down

Reforged Crossbows - Crashing my PC big time. Empty Reforged Crossbows - Crashing my PC big time.

Post by MannyJabrielle Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:50 pm

I've been getting some real nasty crashing with heavy crossbows that now use the reforged models. I have yet to play around with light crossbows or regular bows to see if they do it as well, I am only certain of the heavy crossbows.

I'll be fine for a few rounds of shooting, but out of nowhere I'll freeze up. A few moments later the cursor will freeze as well, and then my entire system locks up (can't alt-tab, can't do anything). In-game, just running around with the crossbow (without shooting) doesn't seem to cause me to lockup, that I've seen so far though... haven't done TOO much running without shooting

I get similar behavior with the reforged models in the toolset... except any time dealing with the crossbow model (editing a crossbow's properties, placing a crossbow in an area... any time the model is visible on screen in some way). It's not an automatic lockup when the model appears... the toolset can run fine with one on, and it just locks up out of the blue for some reason.... no specific length of time. Sometimes it's RIGHT as I place a crossbow down in an area/open the properties window... sometimes it's not until it's been placed and I decide to rotate the camera.... the only common factor is "crossbow visible".

I don't know if it's the models themselves, or just my aged computer not handling the models well for whatever reason, similar to the hardpoints dragon models (but far worse... with the dragon crashing, it's just NWN, not my entire system).... Either way, it's a real hamper on my gameplay, and not particularly good for my computer to suffer critical crashes like this...
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Reforged Crossbows - Crashing my PC big time. Empty Re: Reforged Crossbows - Crashing my PC big time.

Post by The Amethyst Dragon Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:03 pm

Not sure why the heavy crossbows would be causing this. They don't use as many polys as some other weapons, they don't have emitters. They do have a single skinmeshed part, but so did the original crossbows (the string). I even made sure to compile all the models so the NWN graphics engine doesn't have to do it on the fly. I modified the crossbow animations, but that's a minor change and shouldn't affect a computer that way.

I'm wondering if there's something about skinmeshes your graphics card doesn't like. I know hardpoints' dragons uses them for the wings...but so do the default NWN dragons, some of my custom elementals, and other in-game objects.
The Amethyst Dragon
The Amethyst Dragon
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Creator of Aenea / Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 7840
Location : probably on the computer or wrangling his offspring
NWN Username : amethystdragon
DM Name : The Amethyst Dragon
Time Zone : GMT - 6:00 (Wisconsin)
Registration date : 2008-06-02

https://www.amethyst-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Reforged Crossbows - Crashing my PC big time. Empty Re: Reforged Crossbows - Crashing my PC big time.

Post by MannyJabrielle Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:24 pm

Hmm, now that you mention that tidbit about the skinmeshes on the hardpoints dragons... I do remember that the red dragon (covered in the dragonfix) would crash me not just on shifting out of dragonshape (which causes the dragon model to momentarily spread it's wings), but also when I would use the taunt emote (which also causes the dragon model to spread out it's wings).

Not all the HP dragons crashed me though (on this laptop or the previous two I've played on)... just the ones covered in the dragonfix from the downloads page. Nor would any of your aenean elementals or any other object ingame that I've run across crash me... so it's sounding like just maybe it's something very specific to the red dragon wings and the crossbow's skinmeshes that's not present in the skinmeshes from the other objects...
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down