Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shadowchild Tweak suggestions

3 posters

Go down

Shadowchild Tweak suggestions Empty Shadowchild Tweak suggestions

Post by MannyJabrielle Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:25 am

Been getting into my shadowchild character again, and had some thoughts.

Skills.... with the subrace goodies being applied through letoscript now, the shadowchild +10 to hide/move silently was made into a permenant bonus. Nice because on one hand it allows a human shadowchild to take shadowdancer as early as level 3, but on the other hand, at 40th level, shadowchildren aren't able to go past 43 points in those skills. Perhaps the permenant skill boosts could go back to the old method? A few other subraces have skill changes too, although off hand I can only think of the drow/half drow negative appraisal and the gold dwarf appraise boost.

Shadowchild concealment.... It's 20% concealment. I realized when thinking about going for self-concealment V with my shadowchild, I'd have to spend 2 feats which would essentialy be redundant... self concealment I and II. Perhaps in the opposite direction of the skills suggestion, shadowchildren get the 'effective' 20% concealment by letoscripting in SC I and II? The "shadowy" visual of shadowchildren would still have to be applied by the scripts at work though, since self concealment gives the concealment, but not the visual 'see through' as per displacement and improved invisibility.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

. : Dungeon Master
Male Number of posts : 5927
Main Character : See the "A-Team" thread in the Biographies forum.
DM Name : Dungeon-Master Gaelen
Time Zone : GMT -5:00(EST)
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Shadowchild Tweak suggestions Empty Re: Shadowchild Tweak suggestions

Post by daveyeisley Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:15 am

MannyJabrielle wrote:Shadowchild concealment.... It's 20% concealment. I realized when thinking about going for self-concealment V with my shadowchild, I'd have to spend 2 feats which would essentialy be redundant... self concealment I and II. Perhaps in the opposite direction of the skills suggestion, shadowchildren get the 'effective' 20% concealment by letoscripting in SC I and II? The "shadowy" visual of shadowchildren would still have to be applied by the scripts at work though, since self concealment gives the concealment, but not the visual 'see through' as per displacement and improved invisibility.

Considering how maddeningly hard it is to actually build for SC V, might as well have the shadow child concealment stack with it. Not really a balance issue considering that even with epic dodge and 70% concealment that PC is not going to have overwhelming offense that doesnt rely on sneak attacks...
and it would be decently cool to have such a PC be ridiculously maddeningly frustrating to hit with
weapons (and it would kinda make sense, too).
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Male Number of posts : 6934
Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon
Main Character : Dave's List of PCs
NWN Username : Dave Yeisley
DM Name : Dungeon Master Mythgar
Time Zone : GMT - 5:00
. : Shadowchild Tweak suggestions Forum_donor
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:18 am

That would, I just wonder if the game engine handles concealment like it does SR... that's one particular effect I haven't looked at in scripting myself.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyDios Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:50 pm

Would it not be possible for The Amethyst Dragon to "merge" SCII and the Subrace: Info feat... I think this is possible by changing the FEAT entry in the 2da...

In particular the FEAT from 16872431 to 8567, and the SUCCESSOR from **** to 750(to allow to take SCIII once hitting Epic - providing the req's are met, a shadowchild must still "train" to hone their subrace ability), I'm not sure about the TOOLSCATERGORIES entry, but I think this might work.... ...
RustyDios
RustyDios
High Epic Level
High Epic Level

Male Number of posts : 2271
Main Character : Jay Braysin, The Wandering Shadow, Protector of Nektaria, Talon's Eternal Foe
Other Character : Shouri Braysin, The Shimmerstar's Moonlight Sorceress
Other Character. : Grace Fularras, Walking Library , Cleric of Mystara
Other Character.. : See my sig ... And here too ...
NWN Username : RustyDios
Time Zone : GMT (England, DST)
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:33 pm

Wherever the "self concealment variable" is stored could have a check for the "shadowchild" variable. If it is true, then the self concealment value is +20%.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Location : Watching Aenea from my Inner Sanctum on the surface of Sharlo, Aenea's Silver Moon

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Sat May 15, 2010 7:34 pm

Another shadowchild suggestions w/leto feats...

Instead of doing the +10 hide/ms skills by leto, do them via epic skill focus feats.

At level 30 onward, the shadowchild bonus dwindles down to no bonus at level 40 (A level 40 shadowchild rogue will have the exact same maxed hide skill as an identical non-subraced rogue build).

If a shadowchild goes down the SCII or greater route as well, all subrace benefits are effectively gone, but the character is still paying the price for the subrace (sun damage, 20% XP penalty). And quite honestly I don't think 20 free skill points justifies a 20% penalty. Drow pay 20% XP penalty, but in return receive 2 feats and scaling SR, both of which remain a viable bonus regardless of level or build.
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by daveyeisley Sun May 16, 2010 1:00 pm

Those are very strong points, I agree.
daveyeisley
daveyeisley
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by MannyJabrielle Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:18 pm

A bump on this (Along with the other shadowchild tweak suggestion for the vc shadowform command...

The hide/MS as epic skill focuses I really think should go in for the reasons stated above... The character continues to pay the same XP penalty for the bonus, even when the bonus is completely negated
MannyJabrielle
MannyJabrielle
Ludicrous Level
Ludicrous Level

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down